The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2005, 06:16 PM   #1

My new gun, need some ammo advice!

hey just bought a 14" 870 clone. All parkerized, synthetic full stocks. Ive added a hi viz beed up front, an uncle mikes shell carrier on the stock and also a Limbsaver pad.

At my range no buckshot aloud. Can anybody recommend low recoil and low flash 2 3/4 rounds? Need a decent list and reviews, so I can go get some goods. No arm braking magnums! Lower flash would be nice as muzzle hop with this pig is gonna be nasty.
Old September 10, 2005, 06:20 PM   #2
QuickTrig

Isnt that gun considered a class III firearm because of the barrel length? If you have the appropriate permits, excuse me, but if you dont.....
Old September 10, 2005, 06:26 PM   #3

lol actually I live in a very uptight gun country..Canada..no concealed carry...handguns are restricted (have license for them) everything is registered, rifles and shotguns are just normal license..our version of your class 3 is prohibited class..anyways...a shotgun that comes from the factory with super short barrel lengths is totally legal..not even restricted. Only banned shotguns up here are some benellis, franchi spas, street sweeper and that sort of thing...lol I bought my 870 clone mail order and its coming in a box Canada POst!!!! lol gonna be like a mini christmas..

so how bout the ammo??
Old September 10, 2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I'm not sure what you want to shoot?

If you just want something OTHER than buckshot to practice with, I recommend going to Wal-Mart and buying cheap "Dove & Quail" loads.

These are inexpensive low-power, low-recoil, low-flash ammo.

To prevent any possible problems caused by inferior ammo, buy American made brands like Remington, Winchester, or Federal.

A number of people are reporting extraction problems with cheap, bulk pack shells.
Old September 10, 2005, 06:33 PM   #5

er...sorry should have been more accurate..I need slugs or sabots. My range is no shot shells period from shotguns ( to many people blasted all the lights) so they are banned now..I can use any slug or sabot type single round 12 gauge projectile. So with that in mind..need something easy on the shoulder for long sessions and for a few of my girlfriends to try (and a short buddy of mine..lol who is afraid of a .45..haha) Walmart doesnt sell rounds around here..I go to specialized shops..but if I need to order a case..what is best? Ive heard some talk bout some Federal slugs..dunno..This is my first shotgun.
Old September 10, 2005, 08:06 PM   #6
shecky

In the US, Wolf or S&B usually seem to be the cheapest slugs going. I've see them for as low as $.35 USD per round. However, slugs seem generally more expensive than buck or birdshot. Sabots are even more expensive, and not recommended unless you have a rifled barrel (I'm guessing you probably don't).

Strange that your range won't allow shot because lights are being blasted out (some folks are just careless shooters?). Yet are willing to have slugs instead?!?
Old September 12, 2005, 04:37 PM   #7

yeah, but what can you do? the next range is outdoors..and in the winter its to cold. So whats some good brands of low power slugs? THanks for any help.