The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Dragline45

Shield Feed Ramp Problem

So I sent this picture to S&W asking if they could send me a new barrel since the feed ramp on mine is not up to par and has several divots. They said they cannot send me a new barrel since it's a fitted part, I call BS, I can buy conversion and match barrels that drop right in, these pistols are not 1911's. So they said the firearm would have to be sent in. So far the gun has fired fine, no failure to feeds, though I only have about 200 rounds through it. I am going to try to get them to send me a barrel again, but if that's a no go should I send it in and wait the probably 4-6 weeks to get it back, or just keep it how it is? Right now this is my only carry gun and I would rather not be without one for a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shield Feed Ramp.jpg (78.3 KB, 1053 views)

Last edited by Dragline45; September 11, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old September 11, 2014, 01:52 PM   #2
salvadore

Unless its changed, turn around at S&W is less the two weeks and shipping is on them.
Old September 11, 2014, 02:16 PM   #3
jasmith85

They may just be afraid of legal issues if they somehow screwed up and sent you the wrong barrel and you tried using it. Either way I would want a new barrel just in case of issues later on so if they won't send you another one I would send it in to let them replace it.
Old September 11, 2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Sevens

I would personally believe that whether or not we wish to ADMIT that it's a fitted and not a drop-in part, Smith & Wesson is smart enough for the both of us. If you have a problem and you aren't happy with their new gun, they realize that it's better for their reputation and on the whole for customers (across the board) if they ensure the new barrel fits properly to their specification and runs as it should.

Their response does not surprise me no matter who makes aftermarket barrels and how well they work. I would definitely press them to cover the shipping both ways and I also believe you have a valid complaint and you deserve a new barrel in that pistol.
Old September 11, 2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Dragline45

I decided I am going to just send it in. I have owned over a dozen handguns and have never seen a feed ramp look like this. Plus since it's my carry gun I don't want to take any chances. Just sucks because this will be my first time without a carry gun in 5 years, my fault for selling the others off.

Quote:
I would definitely press them to cover the shipping both ways and I also believe you have a valid complaint and you deserve a new barrel in that pistol.
They offered to send me a pre-paid shipping label, and since it's under warranty I see no reason they wouldn't pay for return shipping, plus I am only 2 hours away from the factory. They have done good by me in the past I suspect it should go just as smoothly.
Old September 11, 2014, 04:11 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
I am only 2 hours away from the factory
Do they take walk-ins? I believe some manufactures like GLOCK offer this service.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
Do they take walk-ins? I believe some manufactures like GLOCK offer this service.
They used to but now only LEO's can drop off for repairs for some reason. I only did that once myself anyways, it's alot easier for them to just pick it up and drop it off via UPS than for me to drive 2 hours each way.
Old September 11, 2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Seven High

Question: Did those divots occur after you bought the Shield, or did it come from the factory that way?
Old September 11, 2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
Did those divots occur after you bought the Shield, or did it come from the factory that way?
Must have came from the factory, I cant imagine lead bullets hitting the feed ramp to cause that kind of damage unless the steel was not properly heat treated, and even then I cant see lead causing divots in steel with only the force of the slide pushing it. I didn't notice it at first because the feed ramp was covered in the same black finish as the barrel, eventually that wore off which is when I noticed them.
Old September 11, 2014, 06:53 PM   #10
Knightsofnee

9mm Shield barrels are much in demand amongst us .40 Shield owners until somebody makes a conversion barrel. S&W holds on to 'em tight.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Shadi Khalil

I would push for the new barrel and shipping.
Old September 20, 2014, 06:26 PM   #12
brentfoto

Is this really a 'problem'?

This is the first that I have heard of this issue.

Look on ramp's left side, where the indentation extends from the base all the way up to top left side of ramp. There's a discernible, very short horizontal machine mark 2/3 the way up on left side of ramp. Follow the red line which points to it. OP has described it as a 'divot' and I say that mine is identical in size and location up the ramp to his 'divot'.. I also have some very minor machine marks down by the base of the ramp. Not really sure if 'divot' is correct word because not certain those marks are above the surface.

But what is the big deal, really? Seriously, what danger, if any, might this pose?

Gun operates great (only after 135 rounds in two range trips) but do you think the 'divot' would affect accuracy or pose a danger? Does it matter?

Do you think it will result in premature damage to the feed ramp/barrel?

I don't think the 'divot' was designed into it and don't know whether to try to dremel or sand it out but I am just going to leave things alone for now. Have read too many nightmare 'tales' where people who DIY get the gun messed up. 'If it ain't broke..'

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

The following are 'grab' shots only:

"CTRL +" to expand:

Last edited by brentfoto; September 21, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old September 23, 2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Sevens

I don't think there's a big problem in your opinion either. I do not think it's any manner of a safety issue.

I would submit that 135 rounds is barely scratching the surface of vetting that pistol, I'm guessing you would also agree. And it probably goes without saying... but if a divot or noticeable anomaly on a feed ramp is going to present some kind of an issue, it will most likely be a FEEDING issue, and that issue may never fully be known until you happen to find a particular ammo that the pistol does NOT like to feed.
Old September 23, 2014, 01:56 PM   #14
brentfoto

Sevens-

FYI, it's likely I never would've noticed the machine marks had I not decided to polish the feed ramp using a Q-tip and Mother's Mag Polish.

Will be going to the range today, my third time with the Shield, and see how things go.

Gun has more like 160 rounds through it. About 50 WWB, 100 Tula range ammo (non-lacquered, Berdan-primed, steel casing), 10 or so Federal 147gr JHP.

I let another guy shoot some of the Tula out of it.

The only issue thus far was a solitary 'failure to extract' a Tula casing that became stuck in the breech. I believe that he may have limp-wristed the firearm, but it may have been caused solely by the ammo. He shot about 7 rounds, I shot the remaining 93 Tula rounds without issue.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by brentfoto; September 23, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old September 23, 2014, 02:21 PM   #15
jtmckinney

I bought a Shield 9mm for my wife a couple weeks ago, it has exactly 120 rounds thru it at this time with no feeding problems. It has the 2 lower divits in the feed ramps like yours, maybe not as pronounced but they are there so a good chance a new barrel will also have them. It does not have the upper left divot.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old September 23, 2014, 02:38 PM   #16
brentfoto

jtmckinney-

Have you polished its feed ramp?

I'm starting to believe that the horizontal 'divot' depicted may be part of a 'normal' barrel.

I would consider sending firearm or barrel back to S&W if and only if I encountered problems with the firearm's operation or there were a safety issue.

That's not the case thus far.

Last edited by brentfoto; September 23, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old September 23, 2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Sevens

That's a fine policy...

but it doesn't explain why you'd polish your feed ramp in the first place?
Old September 23, 2014, 08:41 PM   #18
jtmckinney

brentfoto;
I haven't modified the gun in any way. So far it has been 100% reliable with factory ammo and a few of my reloads I have tried. My wifes firearm does not have the divot in the upper left feed ramp shown in the OP's picture.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old September 24, 2014, 12:19 AM   #19
brentfoto

Quote:
by Sevens:

That's a fine policy...

but it doesn't explain why you'd polish your feed ramp in the first place?
Today 12:38 PM
I hand-polish my ramps to reduce chances of a feeding problem.

With some firearms, Springfield XD, etc., some of the Kahrs, it's not necessary.

Last edited by brentfoto; September 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old September 24, 2014, 12:23 AM   #20
brentfoto

Went to outdoor range today and shot 84 rounds of assorted brands, 14 rounds a piece of WWB, Fed Champion, TulAmmo, HST 124gr, PPV and 147gr Fed JHP. There were no failures or malfunctions of any kind. Reference is post #56 here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post14935429

I took a grab shot of the feed ramp a bit later in shade without flash and will try to post the best pic. It looks-well, not very pretty, but gun has been all but perfect operationally thus far. e.g., ~250 rounds. I did polish the feed ramp before this trip to the range.

Use 'CTRL +' to zoom in and see ALL the tiny horizontal machine marks on edges of the feed ramp:

Last edited by brentfoto; September 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old September 24, 2014, 05:15 AM   #21
presspics

That finish didn't "wear off" like that..I suspect an overly agressive Dremel polishing job. I don't blame S&W for not just sending a barrel. The barrel isn't a cheap part and they don't want to be sending barrels to everyone that asks for one.. Something tells me that this will not be a warrantee repair.
Old September 24, 2014, 07:24 AM   #22
Knightsofnee

That looks like a typical, contemporary Smith & Wesson Holding Company hack job to me. I'm beginning to long for the old Bangor Punta days.
Old September 24, 2014, 09:33 AM   #23
brentfoto

Quote:
by presspics
That finish didn't "wear off" like that..I suspect an overly agressive Dremel polishing job. I don't blame S&W for not just sending a barrel. The barrel isn't a cheap part and they don't want to be sending barrels to everyone that asks for one.. Something tells me that this will not be a warrantee repair.
And you don't know what the heck you're talking about with respect to origin of the machine marks. That is the way that mine came from the factory, unless shooting factory ammo has something to do with it- which I indeed doubt.

And learn how to spell, please.

Last edited by brentfoto; September 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 24, 2014, 10:00 AM   #24
presspics

I know machining marks and while there are some visible it is also clear that the feed ramp didn't have it's finish worn off like that. That is very clear overly aggressive Dremel work. Also, I used the spelling of the word warrantee that I intended to use. Learn English..
Old September 24, 2014, 10:08 AM   #25
brentfoto

So, how is it the OP and I have identical divot appx 2/3 up the left edge of the ramp!?! Others may have commented, also.

My feed ramp's finish is not worn off.

Learn how to spell.

Last edited by JohnKSa; October 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM. Reason: .