The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 1, 2014, 11:12 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Troy Defense Pump AR15

Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying one of the Troy Defense Pump AR15 sport rifles and would like to hear quality impressions from current owners. Is it accurate? Is it easy to disassemble? Is it easy to clean? How good is Troy Defense's customer service?

Any input will be greatly appreciated...
Old August 3, 2014, 09:58 AM   #2
YankeeIronSights

Someone asked if I was buying this rifle because of local AWB restrictions. Unfortunately, yes. I live in a state that no longer allows law abiding citizens to purchase semiautomatic sporting rifles like the popular AR15. Therefore, this type of rifle is the only alternative we have to enjoy target shooting and fun time at the range.

I had a chance to inspect it at the LGS and it looks and feels pretty solid. The action is very nice and the craftsmanship is quite decent. The folding stock can be extended to meet shooters arm length. The trigger felt fine too. The folding front and rear sights are well built and the accessory rail is a plus. I think it would be a great range rifle.

I was able to put it on lay-away for a very very low price after someone bought it new and traded it back after a week. The rifle is in like new condition, in the original box. No idea why the owner returned it. The store has sold a number of them without problems.

Any comments???

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; August 3, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old August 4, 2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Interesting. Never heard of it. Got a link? Pros & Cons relative to the Rem 7615 police?

I can tell you that a pump gives up VERY little in speed to a semi. You'd still have a good fighting rifle.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:09 PM   #4
YankeeIronSights

Please follow this link to learn more about the rifle...
http://youtu.be/rvQAe5ga76k
Old August 4, 2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

That looks pretty nifty. What do those run?
Old August 5, 2014, 05:16 AM   #6
YankeeIronSights

They sell for $1,100.00

In Gunbroker.com they sell as low as $995.00
Old August 5, 2014, 11:46 PM   #7
YankeeIronSights

Well, I changed my mind and decided to wait a while before buying this type of pump AR15. After a lot of web searching I could not find enough information about the reliability and accuracy of the rifle.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Unlicensed Dremel

Have to say, I like this a lot.
Old August 7, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9
reynolds357

It is a nice looking rifle. When you first described it; the mental image I got was of a piece of junk, but that is a good looking rifle.
Old August 11, 2014, 07:25 AM   #10
hvymax

It's existence is a disgrace to this once great country. I guess if you no longer live in America it is about as good as it gets. I guess Maryland sucks less for now anyway.
Old August 11, 2014, 07:49 AM   #11
tirod

No reason to believe any of the normal AR parts on the gun are of lesser quality than the self loading ones built by the same company. Troy has been around for awhile and their overall reputation for firearms is decent.

The actual mechanism simply substitutes a sliding fore end linked with an action rod connected to the bolt carrier. The bolt locks and unlocks same as any other AR. Nothing really reinvented or needs to be.

Pump AR's have been a staple of ownership in Britain for a long time. They are likely going to be a big sellier where certain states prohibit features in combination with self loading actions, but have no prohibition when the action is manual.

There are few reports at present simply because there have been few sold, and almost exclusively in "ban" states. Surfing the Calguns firearms forum might get more info. Troy isn't the only one making a pump AR, there are others entering the market.

Manually cycling the AR bolt carrier isn't going to be materially different using a slide pump action rod vs the charging handle - which we already have known to be extremely reliable.
Old August 11, 2014, 04:31 PM   #12
KevininPa

Looks nifty

But I see no reason to dump my Remington 7615 for it. And yes I have semis. Actually I and the gentlemen I shoot with have so much fun with it, that I kept it even when I could've gotten over two grand during the last ban crisis. See no reason why this can't be as much fun.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:20 AM   #13
winchester1917

It is a shame that we have to invent things like that. Thanks to Emperor Cuomo, those will probably do pretty well here in NY.
Why would they be priced that high though? There must be better options for those in ban states.
I can't see paying that much for a rifle that, although it has a couple nifty features and the semblance of an AR, functions like any other pump rifle.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:17 PM   #14
winchester1917

Personally I think I would rather have a decent lever action. But I suppose that's nothing more than a subjective opinion. Is the pump action considered to be faster than a lever gun?
Old August 12, 2014, 03:25 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Not getting the point of that. What am I missing?

If you have to use a pump then get a better gun:

1. Get a shotgun or
2. Get a bolt action rifle with an AR style mag like Mossberg now has. More accurate, just as fast.
3. Best option. Move.
Old August 19, 2014, 11:14 PM   #16
chris in va

In what way is a lever action the same speed as a pump? Reloads the same speed too?
Old August 20, 2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Dirty_Harry

Not necessarily a fan of this rifle, but comment like this are silly:

Quote:
2. Get a bolt action rifle with an AR style mag like Mossberg now has. More accurate, just as fast.
There is no way in heck a bolt will ever be as fast as a pump. Dont try the practice card, as with the same amount of practice you could be faster with the pump.

Personally, I would opt for the remington. I dont think you are getting more to spend the extra dough. The remington accepts the AR15 mags too.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 20, 2014, 03:40 PM   #18
zincwarrior

It won't be as fast as a pump but it will be much more accurate.

If you're worried about short range why go with a 5.56? Get a nice twelve gauge.
Old August 20, 2014, 03:45 PM   #19
g.willikers

The biggest obstacle to buying a pump action AR would have to be that it would still attract unwanted attention.
In a state with anti-AR laws, the owner would probably be explaining themselves constantly - and hope the cops listened.
Old August 20, 2014, 07:49 PM   #20
shuvelrider

From watching the video, I like it. Looks to be a functional design, especially the folding stock and rails. That would make it appealing to the "BOB" crowd, backwoods hiking, home defense, etc. Put on some basic accessories, and your set. Would be nice to see it in .308, not a fan of the retail price though. I like the fact that an existing design was utilized in regards to the AR platform, they only had to re-engineer the front end.
Old August 21, 2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
If you have to use a pump then get a better gun:

1. Get a shotgun or
3. Best option. Move
I'd have to take strong issue with that assessment - #3 -ok, maybe good advice - they'll move if they "can" and want to.

But
#1: Shotgun cannot do what a rifle can do, range wise. And the capacity is much greater with a rifle using STANAG mags.
#2: A pump is materially faster than a turnbolt, even the fastest turnbolt (an SMLE). Semi>Pump>Lever>Turnbolt>Falling Block>Break Action. But more accurate, yes generally.

In addition, a pump is more reliable than a semi... we may be talking a scant difference of 5 failures vs 8 failures in 5000 rounds or some such, but the ARE more reliable on average, than any semi, on average, espec. in dirty and cold conditions.

And then you have the folding stock, which is a tiny thing, really, but there.

This is intriguing to me and I'm not even in a commie state.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 24, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:55 AM   #22
arizona98tj

Quote:
For sure....must have been why the bolt action shotgun caught on so well and left those sluggish pump guns so far behind in its dust.
Old August 23, 2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Can we answer the OP's question about the specific gun please?