The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
newo17

.223 Resizing problems

I just started reloading .223 ammo. I have a Hornady Lock and Load AP press with new dimension dies. When i try to resize the brass i have, it leaves a ring of brass at the base of the shell, as shown in the picture.

This ring only shows up on the outside portion of the shell plate.
The brass i'm using is once fired prvi partisan (http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...oduct1319.html). I'm using this brass in a RRA AR-15 rifle, and this ring makes it hard to chamber, and VERY hard to hand eject. The die was set up so that it touched the shell plate, then was screwed in from 1/16th of a turn and up, each time testing a few shells for differences. I have also gone from the die touching the plate and turned it away from the shell plate, but this made the problem worse. I use Hornady one shot lube. Has anyone had problems or experience with this particular brass or with the Hornady equipment i use? I have also tried resizing brass from a few other manufacturers, such as Winchester and Federal with a little more luck, but the ring is still present, just not as pronounced as the PPU, and the chambering is still hard. Any help is appreciated.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

I'm not familiar with your press, but it looks like the die and shell holder might not be concentric. Try sizing a case with the die lock ring and shell holder set screw (if equipped) loose. If that helps, tighten the lock ring and screw with the ram at the top of its stroke and a case in the die.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
steve4102

Yup, looks like your die and shell holder are not lined up properly. I too am not familiar with your press. If it were me, I would give Hornady a call and talk it out with one of their techs.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:27 PM   #4
totalloser

Looks like a defective die to me. If it's out of allignment, the ring will be only on one side. If it's a defective die, it might go all the way around. Probably caused by the die's opening not being finished, leaving a lip to scuff up the brass instead of forcing it inward. I would look at the bottom of the die and verify that the edge is not sharp where it scuffs. It should not be sharp. Couldn't hurt to make sure your shellplate doesn't have crushed powder in the little ring groove for the rim.

Honestly, I don't think it should do that even if it IS off center. Shouldn't have a sharp edge to do that. Could be wrong tho. Good luck.

Last edited by totalloser; July 19, 2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old July 19, 2008, 05:18 PM   #5
newo17

Thanks for all the help. I tried leaving everything loose so the die would self center, and that seemed to help a little, but the ring was still there. As for a defective die, that could be. The Hornady die i'm using is actually a replacement from Hornady sent after a talk with the tech help there. In the end, i just bought an RCBS FL die and that did the trick, no line, and no problems chambering in my rifle.
Old July 20, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Alleykat

Could be you got a .222 die, instead of a .223 die!
Old July 22, 2008, 04:00 AM   #7
butta9999

rcb is a lot better stick with it. if ti were a .222 die you would crush the case shoulder down so not likely.
Old July 22, 2008, 06:31 AM   #8
CPTMurdoc30

Looks like you need to call Hornady. They are good people and will make it right.
Old July 22, 2008, 09:35 AM   #9
mniesen89

Firgures that it scores the are that is most likely to rupture, hopefully you didn't do to many cases after you noticed the problem.