The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 24, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
dalegribble

Sharps Replicas

I have been wanting to add a Sharps to my collection since I first watched Quiggly Down Under. I have done some research and found many of these replicas are just slightly less expensive than a new car. I see there are also a number of importers that sell these as well. Can anyone add names or links or comments about some of these replicas, especially the more affordable ones? Any help in researching is appreciated.
Old August 24, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
SundownRider

I have seen Pedersoli replicas going for about $1600. I believe Cabela's has them for around that amount.
The guys I know who have Pedersoli Sharps swear by them, and they seem to shoot just as well as the Shiloh models.

Hope this helps a bit.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old August 24, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Vinagre

Here is a link to a manufacturer in Montana, USA, that makes Sharps:

http://www.csharpsarms.com/
Randall Knives (Mdl 1 & 2)
Old August 24, 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Shiloh made the rifles for the movie, and will sell you one just like them but with your initials. $3041
http://www.shilohrifle.com/
Anything else says "Quigley" is a fake.

C. Sharps rifles are of as good quality, just the boss is grouchy.

Pedersoli is the best of the foreign copies. Some folks report good luck with the other brands, some don't.

There are several US importers, some sell rifles by different Italian makers, best to find out who does which.
Old August 25, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Steve499

I bought an Armi Sport Sharps at a gun show. It was as well fitted and finished as I could want but I learned upon shooting it that it wouldn't group very well, about 4 inches at 100 yards, and that was after I had a good tang sight mounted. It's now at the gunsmith's (Lee Shaver, Lamar, Mo.) getting the barrel re-lined. I'm going to have about $1200.00 in it, including the sights, when it's all done. I thought I was doing great when I picked it up for $600.00, but if I had it to do over, I'd just have bought a Shiloh or Pedersoli to begin with.
Old August 27, 2007, 06:32 AM   #6
dalegribble

Here is a different take on the Sharp vs Sharp question.
What are the most popular brands seen at the range?
What are the winningest brands used in competition?

I have been trying to find competition results that list they type and caliber of gun but without any luck.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Go to
http://www.bpcr.net/
and select "Match Results"
Some but not all match results will have line counts of guns and gear being used, and I saw at least one shooters' survey with great detail of guns and loads. Unfortunately not for the national championships at Raton.

It will be a little hard to follow because there are a lot of us not shooting Sharps at all.

What I saw when active in BPCR - and hope to be again when a new range opens up in a reasonable drive - was Shiloh, C. Sharps, and Pedersoli. I have seen one original Sharps being shot, and a number of restorations and rebuilds on original actions; although there are more Remingtons and Winchesters in that category.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Old Dragoon

My Pedersoli Sharps would outshoot my Shiloh on any given day. I sold the Shiloh(an early Farmington gun) and ke[t the Pedersoli. I vote for the Pedersoli for a first gun. lower price and a good fit and finish and they shoot. I have a pedersoli Rolling Block right now and the reason I bought it is that I had owned one of their Sharps and I know these guns from Pedersoli Shoot.
Old August 27, 2007, 08:29 PM   #9
dalegribble

What about Uberti's? How do they shoot compared to Pedersoli's? They seem to be identical to me, I wonder if they are the same gun? Uberti's have been making High Walls, I think the Sharps are kinda new for them.
Old August 27, 2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Uberti Sharps are made for them by Pedersoli.

They had a reciprocal agreement where Pedersoli was going to sell Highwalls with their barrels on Uberti actions, but they could not get enough advance orders to bother setting up for it.

Current Big Timber, Montana Shiloh (and C. Sharps) are a far cry from the long throated Farmingdale (not Farmington, that is where The Shield crooked cop tv show is set) NY rifles. Be worth your while to inquire with Shiloh about a new barrel, Old Dragoon.