The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Overscore

Tighten rear sight on CZ75

I just discovered that the rear sight on my CZ-75B will drift from side to side just by pushing on it with my finger. Adjusting this sight should require a hammer and a drift, not a finger tip. Is this the type of thing that you go to a gunsmith for?

Thanks
Old February 13, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
AndyWest

Ouch. I would definitely go to your smith. Good time to make a new friend if you don't have one yet. Also an opportunity to have an expert zero the sights once fixed.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
chris in va

Factory rear sight?
Old February 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Pilot

At the minumum get it sighted in then put blue loctite on it, ore maybe even red loctite.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
AndyWest

I disagree on the Loctite in fixed sights. Extra goo in there could move it slightly after zeroing. I have used Loctite on loose screw-in fronts (e.g. Ruger Mk) where the rear was adjustable and it's good there. Just not on a fixed rear IMO. Let your smith perfect it.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

If the sight were just a little loose, Loctite would be okay, but it sounds as though it's more than a little.

Use a center punch (a pointed steel punch you can find at the hardware store, if you don't have one) to dimple the bottom of the rear sight dovetail when the sight is removed.

Hitting the punch with a good hammer will create a dimple. While the center will be lower, the surrounding area will be raised a bit, and if you do it enough, it will have the effect of pressing UP on the underside of the sight, and tighten it in the dovetail.

Start out with 2-3 punched dimples in the dovetail's bottom. Then slide the sight in (from right to left, looking from the rear.) If you don't notice enough change, put some more dimples in the bottom of the dovetail and try again. You may have to hit it pretty stoutly to get the results you need.

Once the sight is hard to move, position it in the center -- be sure it's still snug there, and then go to the range. Sight the gun in, again, using a rest (a big bag of rice in another plastic bag/garbage bag will do), and slowly squeeze off your shots. Rest your hands on the "rest", not the gun.

Take another punch (preferably brass, but hard wood will work) to move the sight, if it needs movement. Once you've got it right, you can also give the sight one last tap, using the punch to put a divot right where the front of the sight hits the front of the dovetail, "notching" the sight and dovetail at that point. That'll hold it more securely than loc-tite (or a similar material) -- but it can be overcome with a sidewise blow with a punch on the sight, if you later need to remove the sight.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 13, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
railroader

Is the gun under warranty? If it is I would send it back to CZ to get it fixed.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Sending it back to CZ can be very expensive, unless a dealer does it for you. Just having a local gunsmith do the work could be cheaper. CZ *MIGHT* pay the freight -- but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you send the gun to CZ, depending on where you are, it could cost you $50, or more. (You've got to send it by FedEx or UPS priority air -- and that's not cheap.)

I'm in NC, and I wanted to send a gun to Gray Guns in Washington state, last year, and was about to do it -- but one-way shipping was $100. I put it off until I'm feeling better, financially... <sigh>
Old February 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
chris in va

My local FFL is also a UPS shipping center and he uses UPS ground for all my handgun transfers. Usually runs about $8.50.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
My local FFL is also a UPS shipping center and he uses UPS ground for all my handgun transfers. Usually runs about $8.50.
While it's NOT against the law to do what your FFL is doing (i.e., using GROUND rather than AIR), it supposedly should NOT BE ALLOWED by uPS. Their tariff, the UPS rules which governs what can be shipped and how, says that's a NO-NO. (If a handgun ever gets lost, he may have difficulty getting his insurance claim paid.)

Their tariff, which is available on their website, says the following -- and I added the underlining:
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
An FFL can also use US Postal Service Priority Mail, and that is often cheaper than UPS ground, and sometimes just as quick. It can be insured. Getting a quick response to a claim from UPS, FedEx or the USPS can be a trying experience... and seldom quick.

I wish the rest of us could "game the system" like he's doing (i.e., using ground rather than AIR services). We individuals have to go to a HUB and have to pay the full freight. The desk clerks at the hubs I've worked with don't even acknowledge the existence of the Next Day Saver service.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 14, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:11 PM   #11
DasGuy

The rear sight I installed on my 1911 slid in with just finger tip pressure. Red locktite worked perfectly to hold it. You do not need very much of it.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Pilot

As FFL holders can ship USPS to another FFL holder, I've been going to gun shops to have them ship. As UPS is now pushing $90 or more to ship a regular handgun, they usually do it for a little less than half that.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Overscore

Thanks for a variety of suggestions. For now, I'm thinking of this as a feature, like having a tilt wheel.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:15 PM   #14
chris in va

Walt, this is a major distributor of firearms to the local sporting goods stores and FFl's in the Louisville area. He's not just some little hole in the wall FFL. He may have an arrangement with UPS, I don't know.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

A number of high-volume businesses (and FFLS) get special rates for FedEx and UPS shipments. That's probably what he's doing -- and doing it all above-board as part of a business arrangement with UPS.

The fact that you're able to "piggyback" on his arrangement is great for you, and doesn't hurt him, either -- just adds to his volume of business with UPS.

I'd be surprised if he's actually shipping UPS Ground -- but he may be getting the equivalent rates. The reason that UPS and FedEx went to the "AIR" services for handguns was that employee theft of gun-related packages was costing them a fortune. AIR services, like U.S. registered mail, gets special handling and extra security and controls while in transit. It cut down on theft, but we had to pay for it.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
LarryFlew

My FFL charges $10 beyond the cost of USPS Flat rate boxes so shipping ends up more like $30 with insurance etc than the outrageous UPS prices. If warranty CZ will cover the shipping back to you.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:57 PM   #17
Overscore

I wound up just loctiting it down, which seemed to work enough. Thanks.