The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Jordisjk07

Bug out bag newbie

Just want start a bag
Old March 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Jordisjk07

Planning for family of four. Looking for info,tips,tricks,reference to manuals etc. thanks in advance
Old March 5, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
PigFarmer

Not sure how long this will stay open....

As its not directly gun related. You can try going to some of the "prepping" forums and websites and find some good ideas there. Here is a link to one of the larger ones.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/?s=Bug+out+Bag

Good luck to you.
Old March 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
BarryLee

Check out the Red Cross they have some pretty good information.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...0089f0870aRCRD
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 6, 2012, 12:04 AM   #5
RamItOne

Thanks for the link PigFarmer, now I know keeping a candy bar in my truck isn't being over prepared. Haha
Old March 6, 2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Te Anau

Get an army surplus duffle bag for starters.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Jordisjk07

Thank you, for the links. Guns may be part of my bug out plans, I do have a military issue bags duffle and backpack,thx again
Old March 6, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Rangefinder

This has also been discussed pretty in-depth here in the past. Try the search function for BoB, Bug Out Bag, etc...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
plumbercrack

If you are prepping keep in mind the larger the bag the bigger you are as a target. Get a ruck and pack it like a Ranger. If it hits the fan on a country or world wide catastrophe, the guy with the heavy pack that goes from his butt to above his head will be a target.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Te Anau

^^^^^ good point
Duffle bag is still really good to have,but you also need a 3-day type pack such as one of these.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-bg-ebfeac.html
Read these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_bag
&
http://survivalcache.com/bug-out-bag/
&
http://offgridsurvival.com/survival-gear-bugoutbags/

Last edited by Te Anau; March 7, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 7, 2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Jordisjk07

Right, I agree, I was thinking smaller packs for each.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:04 AM   #12
kbails84

Make your bag realistic

I live in Alaska so my go bag is geared for a cold / wet environment. This means I don't need venom extractors or zombie bullets or the crazy items that make up a 007 movie. Keep it real and applicable to your lifestyle and location and I think you'll be impressed with what you're able to find.

I personally recommend any gear bag from LA Police Gear. They have many great deals and prices on their "bail out bags" - lapolicegear.com

For more information on bags or my personal gear which I'll post soon, please send me a message if needed. Thanks

Kraig
Old March 18, 2012, 11:04 PM   #13
sabo954

I learned several important lessons during Katrina. During the two hurricanes prior in the area (Danny, and then Ivan the previous season), I was the guy who got made fun of for being "over prepared". We were told to report for duty with 3 days of supplies for ourselves and anyone sheltering with us. I brought enough for 6 days. Amazing how their attitudes changed during and after Katrina.

Three important things to consider for your bag:
1) How many days do you intend for the supplies to last the four of you?
2) How much material can you realistically move at once with the available manpower and machinery? What happens if a person or vehicle in your plan becomes unavailable to carry supplies?
3) Are there any special considerations that will impact both your supplies and logistics? (Age, health, disability, etc.)

Finally, when considering your weapon, you have to know what applications you'll be using it. This includes the physical environment, and the situational context:
1) How much range do you realistically need?
2) Who/what is the likely threat to be encountered?
3) What are the state and local regulations on how you can carry or transport your weapon and ammo? What happens to those regulations if martial law is declared? (See what the police and LA National Guard did in New Orleans area...)
4) How much ammo can you realistically move at once with the available manpower and machinery? Also, in a tactical situation?

I was rolling around off base with my privately-owned weapon, 30 rnd. mag + 1 in the chamber, and an additional 3 30 rnd. mags. But the reason why the MS National Guard didn't stop me was because I was active duty at the time, had the ID to prove it, and was running critical civilian supplies from out of the area to a local shelter/de facto supply depot by POV which automatically made me a potential target for looters. I feel very certain that without those credentials I would have been turned back or potentially arrested for openly carrying an assault weapon like that. However, I also feel certain that the MS National Guard was the reason why mass chaos didn't ensue there like in New Orleans - they were on the ground before the storm was even gone. Their strong work and dilligence was why I never had to actually use my weapon there, thank God.

Last edited by sabo954; March 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM.