The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2014, 07:02 AM   #1
TheFisherman

Wondering clamp on a 12 guage

Greetings every one,
I put a mesa tactical clamp on my 870 tacti-cool. The one that holds the barrel and the magazine tube. The clamp wonders heavily if I put a few rounds through it. Is there some kind of friction tape or maybe a little blue lock tight I can put in there to keep it from being all over the joint?
Old June 10, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Chief Brody

Maybe some electrical tape would work as a shim?
This is actually why I prefer the factory Remington clamp and extension. The extension has a groove in it that the clamp's screw goes through. So even if extension looses slightly from firing, it and the clamp stay exactly where they are.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:09 PM   #3
dayman

I had the same issue with a choate clamp. I would up epoxying one side of it to the extension.

The next one I built I bought the stock Remington extension specifically to avoid that.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:14 AM   #4
bamaranger

same

I shim mag tube clamps with a small piece of elec or black duct tape. Seems to work fine. If the gun gets soaking wet, you may want to disassemble, clean, and retape, could trap moisture for rust.
Old June 14, 2014, 09:40 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I have to ask, what is the clamp wondering?

Now, if you have a wandering clamp (meaning it doesn't stay in place), the above mentioned solutions ought to work.
Old June 14, 2014, 03:25 PM   #6
TheFisherman

Thanks guys I tried a little electrical tape should do the trick. Thanks for the suggestions. Well thanks to every one but amp... jk jk freaking auto correct pretty silly mistake.
Old June 14, 2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Wyosmith

I silver solder a lug on the magazine tube in front of the clamp. That gives it a recoil shoulder to bear upon.

Solves the problem perfectly.
Old June 16, 2014, 10:25 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

My biggest gripe with the spellcheckers is that if you misspell a word, but it is still a properly spelled word (but with a different meaning), the spell checkers don't catch it.

an /and, to/too/two, wandering/wondering, etc.

YEs, I was pulling your chain, a leetel.... (the spellchecker caught that one, I just left it for example,)
Old June 19, 2014, 04:38 AM   #9
RMcL

Only slaves or prisoners have chains!