The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 5, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1
terrybea

Please Help Me Identify This Rifle

Please help me identify this old 22 short single shot rifle, who made it? Youth length stock, round 16 inch barrel. I have attempted to attach 3 photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antique 22 Rifle 1 Annotated.jpg (10.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Antique 22 Rifle 2.jpg (16.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Antique 22 Rifle 3.jpg (138.6 KB, 83 views)
Old July 5, 2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Hawg

I don't know who made it but it's a parlor rifle made to shoot either bb caps or 6mm rimfire. If a .22 is too loose it's a 6mm. Do not try to shoot full power shorts in it.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
terrybea

22 Rifle

Thanks! A 22 short dummy round will chamber, but I would probably not fire the rifle anyway, just would like to know who made it.
Old July 5, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is probably not American, with Belgian being a good guess. Check the barrel and breech for proof marks; if you see something that looks like a scrolled "L" or an oval with E L G in it, it is Belgian.

Maker? In the old days, many makers of inexpensive guns did not mark the guns with their names. In Europe, the guns were often the work of several small shops but in any case, no one cared and metal stamps cost money. (A comment could be made on the quality of a product the maker does not want his name associated with.)

Around 1890-1910 those guns sold here and in Europe for around $2-4 or the equivalent. They are sometimes called "Flobert" guns, but there are many variations and modifications of the original Flobert design, whose main feature was the use of a heavy hammer as a breechblock.

Value today? Probably $50 or so as a novelty. I strongly recommend against firing with any modern ammunition.

Jim
Old July 5, 2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I strongly recommend against firing with any modern ammunition
No, the actions cant handle it. They weren't even designed for bp loads.

Tags
antique , rifle , rimfire