The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Whats a better Grizzly Gun?
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 27 39.13%
Marlin 1895g 45/70 gov 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15, 2007, 12:55 AM   #26
aaalaska

45/70 or 12 ga big bore pistol or spray the question you have to ask is what will I carry everywhere I go.If you don't have it it ain't no good .bears are found everywhere you don't have to be a hundred mi back.what ever you decide if you don't shoot it a lot don't bother if you go for spray be willing to buy 2 use one to practice so you have some Idea just how close they have to be.Lots of people wander around this state totaly clueless don't know don't want to the angels watch over them to.
Old March 15, 2007, 01:48 PM   #27
jaymag

Rifle

Not that the shotgun gun won't get the job done.The new sabots or rifled slugs are pretty nasty.But you gotta go with the penatraton factor.Shotgun slug expand a bit to fast.45/70 is better for grizzly.
Old March 16, 2007, 08:16 AM   #28
stevelyn

Brennekes don't expand.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 16, 2007, 01:05 PM   #29
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
If hunting and price is no factor, the rifle. I have no idea on the balistics or performance but if hunting grizzies rage is better in my opinion. if you are just hiking the shotgun is better since it can be lighter and shorter hence easier to draw a bead at close range. Lead slugs I have heard can be used but some of the new sabots are more accurate and can pack more punch (My experiencs is with the winchester supremes, 350 gr at 1900 fps and you can hit a 8' gong 400 yds. Not saying it's a kill shot but they havfe range on them too.
Old March 16, 2007, 04:38 PM   #30
NukeCop

If I didn't want to buy another more suitable gun, could I get away with an M1A loaded with something appropriate? Or maybe a remington 760 30-06?
Old March 16, 2007, 07:36 PM   #31
BUSTER51

or you could get a 458 Lott and let the bear know who's boss.
Old March 16, 2007, 10:14 PM   #32
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I forgot to mention my backpack mounted rear firing 12 ga minigun
Old March 16, 2007, 11:34 PM   #33
JAXX

First of all, it is very illegal to "hunt" Grizzly bears, I would advise against it. Second, range really shouldn't even be an issue because if you a kill a grizz that's even 50 yards away, you're going to wish you were dead because of the grizzly cell mate that you'll be sleeping with:barf: BTW, if you are out "Hiking" in the woods with a .45 caliber rifle slung over your shoulder, forget about it, you were convicted before you even fired the first shot
Old March 17, 2007, 06:55 PM   #34
The Terminator

I have both, and if I walked out the door, expecting to meet a grizzly, I'd opt for the 45-70. With modern loads, it is very capable. I really don't think that the 12 gage comes close. The research is easy to find. Also, Buffalo Bore, www.buffalobore.com has some +P 44 mag loads that easily rival the 454 Casull. Also, if you do decide to carry a 12 gage, why not just get a 10 gage instead? I have one of those too, but as a single shot, I don't think I'd want to face a bear with it.

Down here in Georgia, I do take a 44 for bears and hogs on my backpacking trips. Good luck with your decision, and, don't let us read about you in the paper. Best -
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old March 18, 2007, 02:45 AM   #35
aaalaska

I walk in griz country every time we go outone of our favorite trails lies within 500 yds of a hill side where I know a 9' + griz was killed,if conditions are good you can see tracks on all the trails we hike,my carry gun is a ruger redhawk 44 mag with 300 gr hard cast lead bullets load max , never had to shoot a griz and only shoot one bb with it but the bullet passed through it front to rear, when I go to places that I know have muitiple bears using the area right now , I carry a marlin gg in 45/70 with the 44 in cross draw position .The most important details are an awarness of what going on around you,being willing to walk around trouble , being confident with what ever you chose.
Old March 20, 2007, 11:07 PM   #36
Charshooter

Check out Dixie slugs. I used the 20 gauge with good success on hogs. The 12 gauge might be a good bear defense, that site is friendly and you might ask the owner, Gates his opinion.
Old March 20, 2007, 11:16 PM   #37
roy reali

Another Option

Ever think of using a pellet gun?
Old March 23, 2007, 11:31 AM   #38
JAXX

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic.../25-griz_x.txt

This discussion just became much more important to those who hunt big game animals in the Northwest USA.