The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 6, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
richard-z

M1 rebarrel

Hey I've got a parade M1, I took it apart looked up the serial no. 3000's so I guess its Aug of 44' lookin' at the barrel it's 51', the current barrel has been closed at both ends, but which year would make it more desireable 44' or 51' I really dont want a new barrel, just want it working and authentic, also the stock is a light blonde not dark brown, has a symbol, rounded square with 3 stars and a P on the grip. Thanks Rich
Old March 6, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
RonR6

Here is a little info on your cartouche marks
http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html
hope this helps Welcome and congratulations your first post
Old March 7, 2013, 11:27 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That rifle was rebuilt in the Korean-war era, so it is not now original. The barrel is 1951 vintage and the stock has the DoD Acceptance Stamp (eagle and stars) that replaced the old inspector's cartouche after WWII. Other parts probably were replaced as well.

If you plan to fire the rifle, you will have to replace the barrel; I wouldn't recommend trying to find a 1944 barrel as most will be in bad shape anyway. Better to just buy a new barrel and have a gunsmith install it.

But before spending money on a barrel, have the gunsmith check that rifle over. Most of those not only have the barrel blocked but also have the barrel welded to the receiver. If it is just a tack weld, it is probably OK, but sometimes they got the receiver pretty hot (after all, they never intended that those rifles be fired with live ammo again), and the heat treatment might have been ruined. If that is the case, the receiver is toast and I at least would call it a wall hanger.

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 11:54 PM   #4
tahunua001

also depending on who demilled the rifle for drill use you may have even more to deal with. here's what CMP does to theirs...
Quote:
gas cylinder lock screw is welded to lock and gas cylinder, barrel is drilled, plugged and welded at chamber mouth. Barrel is welded to the receiver, firing pin hole is welded closed on bolt face. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. Wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety.
you may be better off just buying a service grade from CMP and not have to worry about it.

also for the record you left out a lot of information like manufacturer, condition, overall metal finish.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, tahunua001,

I don't think that is "what CMP does to theirs", I think that is the way CMP gets them from whoever the army loaned them to. The army did the demilling, not CMP, then loaned them to schools, drill teams and the like.

In any case, you are probably correct in thinking that a service grade from CMP may cost less in the long run than trying to restored that drill rifle to working condition, assuming that it is even feasible to do so.

FWIW, a decent used barrel could run over $100 and a new one around $350, not counting installation.

Jim
Old March 9, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
tahunua001

good point jim,
I suppose it would have been more accurate to say "this is how drill rifles come from CMP".