The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Had a weird dream the other day...

somehow I had ended up with (2) weapons of mass distruction ( ala spy movie style ) one belonged to the "Russians" & one was a counter weapon that belonged to the USA... I hid them both together & I was running, & people were chasing me... while I tried to figure out how to know who to turn them over to...

I didn't have my CCW weapon with me, & in my dream I discounted going home & getting it, as I didn't have enough ammo for any of my guns, for the situation I was in...

dreams are weird... but in reality I reload close to 70 different cartridges, but right now, I don't have more than a box or two for any one gun... it got me thinking...

I guess I better find the time to get some rounds loaded... normally when I shoot CASS I have at least 1000 rounds of 45 Colt, & 500 rounds of 38 special... but I've been too busy lately to get ahead on them... if my dream were reality, I'd have grabbed the FN 5.7 & the 400-500 factory rounds I have for that one... anyway... I woke up sweaty, & with the sudden urge to get loading

you guys got enough rounds loaded ???
Old May 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I am with you on the not many reloaded. I tend to get up early on Saturday morning and load some batches before heading to the range. I get up early anyway so it gives me something to kill the 5 hours before the range opens.

The problem is that I end up shooting it all up by Sunday most times. Though I think I have about 5 or 6 hundred .45 acp, and 9mm loaded up. I need to load a few hundred .223 Rem, and some .38 spcl. though. I admit to being a bit on the lazy side as of late.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Dreams have a funny way of talking to us, mine mainly tell me to find my way to the toilet.
All kidding aside it's a bummer to realize that the perfect shooting day is dawning and we can either (A) Load or (B) Buy. We both know that neither is the correct answer.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Montana Outdoorsman

Quote:
The problem is that I end up shooting it all up by Sunday most times.
Something I like to do with pistol rounds is spend a set amount of my reloading budget on premium bullets, (Hornady XTP's and Cast Performance LWFN's in my case). The reason being, I'm to cheap to shoot these "spendy" bullets at the range very regularly and it allows me to build up a stockpile of premium loads.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

TXGUNNUT... I've found that the older I get, the more I dream I'm in search of a toilet myself... old bladder doesn't seem to be able to make it as long as it did when I was a young man...

part of my problem with the reloading ( most of my cartridge variation are rifle cartridges ) is I'm looking for that magical "more accurate" load, so I only load a box or two at a time... with the 45 Colt / 38 Special I always try to load all my cases before CASS season, but this year the MRS was going to start shooting, so I switch my lever gun to 45 Colt & bought another 500 cases, moved my 38 lever gun to the wifes use, picked up another single six ( so she has a matched pair ) in 32 Magnum & 500 32 mag cases... over the course of the winter season, I never found time to get any of those loaded...

... so if the spys ever start chasing me I guess I better get busy reloading
Old May 24, 2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Jimro

As long as I still have empty brass I feel that I need to keep reloading.

I stopped trying to get "one ragged hole" from my rifles, and even stopped trying to get SUB MOA with my AR-15 match loads. I got to the point where "good enough" ammo is good enough to train with to make me a better shooter. Right now I can't see the difference between 1 MOA and 1.5 MOA ammo on my target at a match so I don't need 1 MOA ammo to shoot.

Maybe in a few more thousand rounds I will and I'll rethink my load.

I really need to get reloading some 38 Spc for the wife to shoot.

Jimro
Old May 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Axelwik

I don't have much on hand at any one time either, but have enough reloading supplies for a couple thousand rounds (primers, powder, and lead for casting).

If it looked like all hell were to break loose I'd probably go to the garage and load some more, but I don't believe in zombies.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:06 PM   #8
mikld

I guess I have the opposite "problem". I have way more time to reload than to shoot so I usually have a lot of ammo on hand. Then the big decision on what to shoot; should I tak a couple .44s since I have the most loads for them or how about the experiments/loads I've put together for my single shot, or should I just have fun with my rimfires? Oh, the problems with abundance

Sometimes I don't know if I reload to shoot, or shoot to reload...
Old May 24, 2012, 01:30 PM   #9
BlueTrain

I had a strange dream, too, but first, do you reload for the purpose of shooting or shoot for the purpose of reloading?

Of the interesting dreams I've had that I could possibly tell anyone else about, only two have anything to do with guns. Only a few nights ago I dreamed I had a pistol with a bayonet but they were both small and toylike.

The other dream I've had more than once, which must mean something. I have dreamed of attempting to shoot a gun, always a handgun, and nothing I can do will make it go off. It's like the trigger is stuck or something. Bad dream. Very bad dream.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm not even going to pretend I could anylize dreams... but think I've heard the "can't fire the gun" thing many times, if I remember right I think that gets translated to you don't feel you have control of your life... ( not that you aren't in complete control... just that the non firing gun is a common dream ), & I think I've heard that anylisis several time
Old May 24, 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
serf 'rett

Question: If one has two nuke WMDs, does one need ammo?

But, I digress.

Quote:
you guys got enough rounds loaded?
Not me. I keep running out of one critical component.

Money.

Question: Can you claim to be a reloader if you’ve never dreamed about reloading?
Old May 24, 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
GWS

Quote:
I'm not even going to pretend I could anylize dreams... but think I've heard the "can't fire the gun" thing many times, if I remember right I think that gets translated to you don't feel you have control of your life... ( not that you aren't in complete control... just that the non firing gun is a common dream ), & I think I've heard that anylisis several time
Another reason might be the worry that if it goes boom....it'll wake him up!!! The horror!

I can also relate to the "gotta go" syndrome. If we did a poll on that dream we'd find out who all of us old farts are! You young guys aren't allowed to say that.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
BlueTrain

I never had that dream but I'm only 65.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:12 AM   #14
GWS

Buetrain, if you didn't knock on wood you are now cursed....just a matter of time!
Old May 25, 2012, 09:24 AM   #15
gunloony

Quote:
Question: If one has two nuke WMDs, does one need ammo?
In one of Robert A. Heinlein's novels he has a character say: "I don't consider a bomb a weapon. You can't point it at someone's head." In a situation where using a WMD is not appropriate, you might well need ammo, IMO.

Unfortunately one doesn't have to be over 65 to have the "where's the toilet?" dream, I got a couple years to go and have had that dream for years.

I don't have enough rounds loaded, haven't loaded since the twentieth century, but have some factory ammo stored "in case." Trying to locate all my tools and components that have been in storage and get set up again, but Real Life keeps getting in the way.