The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2011, 11:44 AM   #26
dickttx

Quote:
Where are you guys purchasing "Plated" bullets comparable in price to lead bullets?

I purchase my lead bullets from Missouri Bullets and they are less than 75% the cost of Berry plated. $85/K for 230gr lead and $117 for 230gr plated from Powder Valley. I can get true jacketed bullets for the same $$ as Berry plated, 230gr Zero brand for $120/K.
Same here. I can buy jacketed for the same price as plated. So if I am not shooting lead I am shooting jacketed.
jepp2 is offline Report Post

I'm with these guys. Nearly any lead is significantly cheaper than plated. And Precision Delta FMJ are cheaper than plated.
Old December 29, 2011, 11:48 AM   #27
serf 'rett

Quote:
Quote:
Where are you guys purchasing "Plated" bullets comparable in price to lead bullets?

I purchase my lead bullets from Missouri Bullets and they are less than 75% the cost of Berry plated. $85/K for 230gr lead and $117 for 230gr plated from Powder Valley. I can get true jacketed bullets for the same $$ as Berry plated, 230gr Zero brand for $120/K.

Same here. I can buy jacketed for the same price as plated. So if I am not shooting lead I am shooting jacketed.
What may be true for one caliber may not be true for a different caliber and this should be stated. Example: 9mm (that punk a$$ poodle shooter caliber that some of us whusses shoot)

From Powder Valley:
MO hard cast 115 grain - $57.14/1K (a moot point since they are currently out of stock)
Berrys 115 RNDS - $68.35/1K
Zero 115 FMJ - $96.00/1K (I get the impression these are often "out of stock")

From Precision Delta:
115 FMJ - $76.00/1K (I think shipping is included, which brings the overall price down, but minimum order is 2K. I don't know if they've solved some of their delivery problems which I've read about?)

I've been pleased with Berrys plated bullets. I haven't tried the Precision Delta yet because I'm still trying to get my wife acclimated to the cost of this hobby.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:17 PM   #28
springer99

I've tried a few Berry's plated bullets so far in my 9mm, but can't say that they're worth the small savings over jacketed, when accuracy is important. I'd rather have a $.13 JHP hit the 9 or 10 ring of the target than a $.07-$.09 plated bullet wander into the 6-7 ring way too often.

Wish I could find a good plated bullet so far, but I'm still looking.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:25 PM   #29
steve4102

Quote:
From Powder Valley:
MO hard cast 115 grain - $57.14/1K (a moot point since they are currently out of stock)
Berrys 115 RNDS - $68.35/1K
Zero 115 FMJ - $96.00/1K (I get the impression these are often "out of stock")
MasterCast.
125gr 9MM---$48.21/K
Old December 29, 2011, 12:32 PM   #30
Hammerhead

I've been a big plated bullet fan since '08 when that's all I could find after the election, but lately I've been switching to jacketed because they're so close in price.
Old December 29, 2011, 03:09 PM   #31
CrustyFN

Quote:
As far as cost, if you place powder in the cost you use around half the amount compared to plated/jacketed, so price per round is alot cheaper. So if its money to want to save, its lead all the way.
I'm curious where you got that information. I don't claim to be an expert but in my experience lead normally loads 10% below jacketed not 50% if you use the same powder. Sometimes there is no difference for example my go to powder for my 200 grain LSWC in 45 auto is WST. The load data for WST is LSWC 4.4 start, 5.1 max and for JHP it's 4.6 start, 5.1 max. No where close to 50% less powder for the lead.
Old December 30, 2011, 10:25 PM   #32
will99

I strip down and clean my gun thoroughly after any shooting session. Makes no difference if lead or plated was shot. Effort in cleaning is about the same. Our indoor range has a great exhaust fan so lead isn't prohibited. Result: buying cast bullets equals money in my pocket.