The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Pocketfisherman

Your Ideal Die Set - Pistol

I've been reloading for about 15 years, and have tried a lot of different makers dies. After a lot of trial and error, I've come up with a "set" that works best for me. I'm mainly reloading 45 ACP and 45LC with a mix of plated, cast, and Jacket bullets. I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a preferred Hybrid set of dies for a caliber - I reload on a first gen Hornady LnL AP press.

Decapping and Sizing - RCBS because of the cheap replaceable de-capping pins

Expanding - Lyman M Die. - I really like the profile it leaves on the case mouth that makes seating cast or plated bullets supper easy. Also very easy to adjust for jacketed bullets when you don't want to overwork the case mouths.

Seating - Hornady because of the floating seater stem that practically guarantees a straight bullet. I don't crimp with this die though leaving it cranked out enough so it only seats.

Crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die works great for either my roll crimping, or Taper Crimping needs depending on Caliber. I especially like the post-load resizing step for 100% reliable functioning with 45ACP during Bullseye matches.

Does anyone else mix and match dies?
Old June 2, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
M&P40

I don't mix up sets but have tried several brands of dies and for the money you can beat Lee carbide 4 die kits. My dad gave me his 38 spl. dies and they work great. I think they're older than I am.
Old June 2, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Sky Master

I've replaced my 25+ yr RCBS steel sizers with Lee carbide, when I didn't purchase RCBS carbide dies in the sets. I only use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on jacketed bullets as I found out that the FCD resizes my cast bullets. As a test I pulled the cast bullets after using the FCD and measured the bullet.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Sevens

Quote:
Decapping and Sizing - RCBS because of the cheap replaceable de-capping pins
Sounds like you might need to try a Lee Carbide sizing die. Then you won't care if the decap pin is cheap or replaceable because you likely won't ever break one.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:19 PM   #5
SL1

For pistol cases, my "mixed" set is similar to Pocketfisherman's, but a little more "customized." In order of use:

1. The body of a Lee factory crimp die with a home-made insert that holds an RCBS decapping rod. The carbide ring in the FCD resizes the entire case to withing SAAMI diameter specs and my addition decaps.

2. The RCBS carbide sizer, turned in only far enough to size the case down below the area where the bullet is seated.

3. The Lyman "M" die or equivalent from Redding to expand the case and flare it. I have some home-made expander plugs that have the M die "step" expander shape, but are shortened so that they only expand the case as far as the bullet is seated. This leaves a small length of case at a diameter set by the RCBS carbide ring to substantially less than the bullet, which helps resist bullet set-back.

4. The Hornady bullet seating die with the sliding sleeve.

5. A separate crimp die, either a Lee FCD using a die body for a larger diameter cartridge so that the carbide ring does not "post-size" or a Redding die.

SL1
Old June 2, 2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

It's good to hear other's experiences. So far I have only used Lee dies because I started reloading earlier this year and those were the only dies available for my cartridges period, so I didn't have any choice.

But it does raise a question for me to ask the experienced hands. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong with the expander/flaring die. It doesn't seem to do anything at all. I have tried adjusting it every which way, but in the case of loading cast bullets for my 38 brass, I can't get the necks large enough to even get the bullets started into the case. Basically, they just rest on top of the cases and I have to very gingerly set the case/bullet onto the shell holder and hope that it doesn't fall off on its way into the seating die. It's kind of the same problem with the 45 Colt, but not quite as bad. Yes, it does shave off a tiny sliver of lead by the time it is seated. The jacketed bullets I use for 357 also don't really go inside the cases, but at least the jacketed bullets do slide into the cases fairly easily with no shaving. I just thought the expander die was supposed to be able to flare the case mouths a lot if you so desire.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Luciano

For 9mm in my Hornady LNL progressive:

1 hornady sizer and decapper
2 Hornady powder through expander using a .357 insert
3 Lee 357 seater
4 RCBS .380 ACP taper crimp- nice uniform crimp and the die doesnt touch the shell plate and kick wire.

This combo works pretty good for me
Old June 2, 2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Sixer

I'm a big fan of the Lee Deluxe 4 die sets for pistols. Granted, I'm new at reloading, but I have finished about 1500rds of 9mm. The Lee Factory crimp die is great. I've also managed to break a decapping pin (long story, my fault) and Lee's customer service was excellent. One phone call and within a week I had a new one free of charge.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 2, 2009, 10:26 PM   #9
freakshow10mm

Handgun: Redding Pro Series only. Exception: 357 Mag 215gr LSWC gets the FCD due to the bulge during seating the long bullet.

Rifle: Redding only.

Have .223 set up in a Lee Classic Turret for case prep as follows:

Universal decapper
RCBS lube die
Dillon carbide FL size die
Redding trim die

I modified a small primer arm for the LCT with a pocket swaging point so when I decap it, I perform the same function as I would seating a primer on the way down but instead it swages the crimp from the primer pocket. Decap, down to swage the pocket, then lube, then size, then trim if needed. Done.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:10 AM   #10
wncchester

"Decapping and Sizing - RCBS"
"Expanding - Lyman M Die."
"Seating - Hornady"
"Crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die"

Excellant choices. I do mix sets because no maker has a lock on all the good ideas!

Actually, I don't much care who made the sizer/decapper die but the RCBS is as good as any.

Redding has an exact copy of Lyman's excellant M die but, so far as I know, they don't sell it individually as Lyman does.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
FlyFish

This is a little different way of mixing: I use a .40 S&W carbide die to size my .357 SIG brass first, then continue with the .357 SIG dies. That way, I don't need to lube the .357 SIG cases, which carbide dies aren't available for because they have a [slight] bottleneck.
Old June 3, 2009, 02:27 PM   #12
Pocketfisherman

I'll remember that one. A sig 357 caliber conversion kit is in my future for my Sig P250.
Old June 6, 2009, 06:45 AM   #13
N.H. Yankee

WOW Pocketfisherman and SL1, I thought I was alone in mixing my dies. I have to agree though expensive I have had the best results doing this also. I have had some LEE sizing dies that oversized sized the case and had trouble with bullet setback ( I always check tension before going to the range ) but when switching to the RCBS the problem goes away. I have checked the size and the LEE is a couple thousenths over, and in the world of reloading this can be BIG! Due to that I had to crimp the heck out of my reloads to get the bullets to stay put. My die layout is exactly as wncchesters and pocketfisherman for my 9mm and the same as SL1 for my 40S&W.
Old June 6, 2009, 05:47 PM   #14
rn22723

Redding Pro Series Titanium Carbide all the way! If was loading a bunch of different bullets I would the Pro Series Competition Titanium Carbide Die Set.
Great quality!
Old June 6, 2009, 07:16 PM   #15
tpareloader

I vote lee 4 die carbide sets as well