The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2012, 10:32 AM   #51
lapetrarca53

hmmmm.........

Following this thread with great interest.

I'll be picking up a S&W SD9VE next week cause it fits my hand perfectly and, the next gun purchase on my radar screen is a .380 Taurus TCP. Priced right, feels good in my hand and is easy to conceal.

Bashers don't bother me. I'm active on a lot of guitar forums and have gotten quite used to brand snobbery. As with most reviews, I generally disregard the "1's" across the board (total junk), and the "10's" across the board (absolute perfection) and the middle ground represents a pretty good cross section of the reality of what is.

Hell, my first handgun purchase in 30+ years was a Hi Point 9mm. It was two weeks after I bought it before I could shoot it and I spent a good amount of that time reading about the horror stories about "a guy who has a cousin that knows a guy with a friend that has a Hi-Point and........" and not a whole lot of first hand experiences.

Well, when I finally got it out to the range I was a little anxious but, it went "bang" every time I pulled the trigger. In fact, as of this writing, it's done that very same thing 500 times without a hiccup.

As with most everything in life, you take your chances.
Old October 17, 2012, 01:07 PM   #52
Technosavant

Quote:
I am amazed at the people who will bash Taurus for a problem yet if it happens to a more expensive gun will say "Oops, that happens sometimes."
Because it seems to be a rarer thing for other companies. And when it does occur, in the past it has been handled faster and in a far more satisfying manner.

I still have yet to see a Taurus supporter answer a question I raised- if Taurus quality and customer service was all that great, WHY did the CEO feel the need to go public in a video and promise that things will get better? That is definitely not the mark of a company who has everything in hand.

I hope the OP's experience is an indication that their customer service is indeed improving as promised. But it will take a while for Taurus to overcome the reputation that they have earned through years of spotty quality control and then iffy customer service.
Old October 17, 2012, 03:26 PM   #53
Bamashooter

Tecchno...... BS. It does happen quite regularly to plenty of other ''quality'' manufacturers and there are also plenty of issues with CS across the board with other gun builders. Check some older threads. Google is your friend. Geez...

The reason for the video was probably in part because of the lies and garbage spread on the internet by ignorant people like you.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 18, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:32 PM   #54
10mm4ever

A few decades ago, Taurus offered good quality at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, that's in the past. As a general rule of thumb, I stray from any Taurus with laser etching. The older models with actual rollmarks are a definite step up in quality, compared to the fodder they've been churning out.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:53 PM   #55
Technosavant

Quote:
The reason for the video was probably in part because of the lies and garbage spread on the internet by ignorant people like you.
U mad, bro?

Ah, so those of us who have had bad experiences, ALL of us (many in this thread) are ignorant and lying? That's a heck of a statement. You may wish to consider that the CEO never once denied the claims of people such as those in this thread. You're defending a company who has already admitted the problem.

Nobody's arguing that Taurus doesn't make good guns; just that their history shows problematic guns to be indeed more common than other makers, and when they do happen, getting them fixed takes longer with no trouble. Of the two other makers I've had guns I needed to send back, both paid shipping back (S&W and Springfield Armory) and had the gun back to me fairly quickly and both times the guns were fixed (SA sent my 1911 through the custom shop for a trigger job while it was there too... no charge). Stories of six month turnarounds, paying for shipping, and still having a problem are surprisingly common with Taurus.

So yeah, I'm thinking you're reacting awfully strongly because people are hitting way too close to the truth for you. Don't identify too closely with a gun company because they can indeed all make a bad one. I don't get all sad and defensive when people say their S&W or Sig had to go back for work; I'm not all caught up in whether a company whose products I like are universally loved. Even those who have had problematic Smith & Wessons will usually be cared for quickly and easily and will recognize that their experience was a rarity.

Unfortunately, with Taurus there's so many of these stories that it can't possibly be a conspiracy to unfairly besmirch a gunmaker. They may well be getting better. I really hope they do. But it will take some time to rebuild the reputation that even their own management recognizes is not what it should be.

Last edited by Technosavant; October 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #56
StainlessSteel215

This thread is getting derailed big time...but was begging for this type of response from the gate.

Iva had one good and one bad experience with Taurus.

Decided to study up and roll the dice on the PT809 and now I LOVE IT. Do I represent all of Taurus now when I speak about it? No. Do I proudly support this weapon and not afraid to share my enthusiasm for this particular Taurus gun? Yes.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:16 PM   #57
zxcvbob

Quote:
Old October 17, 2012, 09:17 PM   #58
CDR_Glock

It's good that you had good customer service and saved money on having to ship. A lifetime warranty is worth nothing if a company is not willing to stand behind it.

I have a Custom Shop Taurus (must be an oxymoron: it lasted a year or two). It is a 605 5 round 357 magnum with a trigger job, Hogue Grips, polished finish and a ported snubby barrel. I bought it in '94 after seeing an ad in a magazine. I shot 38+P and 357 magnum in it, and I've had no issues with it at all. I take care of it, clean after I shoot, and I have no issues trusting it. In fact, when I had a choice between a Ruger SP101 or the Taurus to get rid of, I got rid of the Ruger.

I have shot their Semiautos and aside from that Beretta, the Semiautos have been junk. Dropping magazines, sticky triggers, unreliable actions. However, when it comes to revolvers, I trust them.

My only grips have been against Star and Diamondback firearms. Both are junk.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:27 PM   #59
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamashooter
Tecchno...... BS. It does happen quite regularly to plenty of other ''quality'' manufacturers and there are also plenty of issues with CS across the board with other gun builders. Check some older threads. Google is your friend. Geez...

I'm not a moderator and this might be out of line, if so I apologize, but that was not called for at all. Techno posted a somewhat strongly worded challenge directed at Taurus, the company. Your comment was a personal insult and not a proportionate response. Just post your good experiences or facts about Taurus to rebut the point, don't get nasty.

My experiences, for instance, say that the three Tauri my family owned fell apart while we've never had any significant issues with any other brands. Not false, no agenda to destroy a company you like, just our experiences.

If you like Taurus, by all means, buy every model they make, but if only good opinions were allowed of brands this forum would just be a gun magazine. On the contrary, we hear rants all the time hear against MIM use in Kimber, problems with Cohen's Exeter Sig-Sauer, Glock Generation 4 problems. I've read as much or more about those three brands/issues as I have about Taurus. It just tends to seem like more when someone is going after something the reader likes.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:07 PM   #60
warningshot

As to lapetrarca 53 posting, I never thought of improving my understanding of firearms by keeping current on the guitar forums. The places you find good intel, what a surprise.

Last edited by warningshot; October 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:46 AM   #61
lapetrarca53

warningshot....I believe you misunderstood the intent of my post.

If one is astute, observant, keeps an open eye, an open mind and is aware of the world around them, there are ALL SORTS of places in life where intel can be gathered and applied to various life situations. They're usually called "life's lessons" and, having been a professional musician for close to fifty years now, I've met literally tens of thousands of people and have become a fairly good judge of people thanks to "life's lessons".

I have NEVER been a conformist so, some of those lessons have been hard and cruel but, they've been a lesson learned and the experience(s) tucked away for later reference.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:01 AM   #62
tahunua001

Quote:
As to lapetrarca 53 posting, I never thought of improving my understanding of firearms by keeping current on the guitar forums. The places you find good intel, what a surprise.
I believe that you have completely missed his point. here we have our brand snobs, the glock snobs, Sig Pushers and the Koch Fiends. most of them( I am not speaking about all users, just those 1 percent guys) like to put down HI Point, Taurus, and Kel Tec because they are budget brand guns and it makes them feel superior to gloat that their $600 glock has never failed once while you are happy that your $300 gun made it through 5,000 rounds before the company had to fix it, no matter how amicably they performed.

over in the guitar world you have the Gibson grinders the fender benders and the martin...well I can't think of a funny name for them but you get the point. they like to bash on all the other guys because they feel superior having just bought a $1,200 Fender Stratocaster and have never had to replace a thing while your $200 Peavy Raptor(strat knockoff) has had to have the tuning machines and replaced after only 6 months of use. regardless of how Peavy responded to the problem the Gibson, martin and Fender guys are all going to feel superior just as this guys positive experience with Taurus is bringing out the people that feel the need to gloat about their flawless glocks, H&Ks, Sigs and other fine brands that probably cost close to 3 times what this man paid for his.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #63
zxcvbob

Quote:
I believe that you have completely missed his point. here we have our brand snobs, the glock snobs, Sig Pushers and the Koch Fiends. most of them( I am not speaking about all users, just those 1 percent guys) like to put down HI Point, Taurus, and Kel Tec because they are budget brand guns and it makes them feel superior to gloat that their $600 glock has never failed once while you are happy that your $300 gun made it through 5,000 rounds before the company had to fix it, no matter how amicably they performed.
I haven't seen much of that at all. What I see is people telling their own Taurus horror stories so anyone who still wants to buy one at least makes an informed decision about it. If there's any snobbery going on, it's a reverse-snob bohemianism by the Taurus fans.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #64
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Gibson grinders the fender benders and the martin..."

Marauders.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:56 PM   #65
tahunua001

thank you Mike
Quote:
I haven't seen much of that at all. What I see is people telling their own Taurus horror stories so anyone who still wants to buy one at least makes an informed decision about it. If there's any snobbery going on, it's a reverse-snob bohemianism by the Taurus fans.
oh, dear watson you still have much to learn. please look at the very first reply to this thread.

Quote:
So your bragging that you had to ship back two firearms? From the same manufacturer none the less.

I would not consider this a step in the right direction my friend, I have never sent any of my guns back... because none of them are Taurus.
though this user does go on to say that he is a gun smith and deals with this brand more regularly than others, his very method of delivery tends to rub the poor taurus guys the wrong way, even if it was not intended to be an abrasive comment.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:36 PM   #66
LockedBreech

Quote:
If there's any snobbery going on, it's a reverse-snob bohemianism by the Taurus fans.
I think there's some truth to this. As much as people who own expensive guns sometimes lord it over those who do not, equally as often if not more so people with cheap guns deride owners of expensive guns for wasting money. Common phrases in such posts include "This $400 X-brand gun did everything the $650 Y-brand gun could do" and "I don't need to spend [amount] extra for a brand name."

This isn't a guns-only issue. I think it's a common issue in cars, watches, and stereo equipment, too. The BMW owner thinks the Honda owner settled for average, the Honda owner things the BMW owner is full of himself and bought an unnecessarily expensive car. The Rolex owner thinks the Seiko owner classless and the Seiko owner thinks the Rolex-owner a brand slave.

We'd all be better off to just acknowledge the actual truth of the matter. We all can't afford the nicest things. Sometimes the nicest things aren't measurably any better than cheaper things, but on the flip side of that, sometimes the cheaper things fail where the nicest things do not.

The core issue is both Taurus owners and higher-end owners associating self-image with their brand.

For me, I only care if guns work. They're a lifesaving tool. If the three Taurus firearms my family owned had functioned, I would own a stable full of them. Since they didn't, they were discarded. We can only make the best choices for us with the best information we have at the time.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:45 PM   #67
tahunua001

very well spoken locked breech. you make an excellent point and in all honesty must say that I am guilty of some of the spoken offenses.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

People refer to me as a gun snob...Do you guys think I'm a gun snob?
Old October 18, 2012, 01:56 PM   #69
tahunua001

^I don't know...you gun list looks kindof snobby

on a serious note however based on vague recolections of previous posts I would not say that you are very vocal about why your gun choices are better than everything else out there. you simply state why they work better to your advantage which is totally different than;

you bought a taurus? save yourself some embarrassment and get a H&K USP instead.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #70
Tactical Jackalope

Why thank you kind sir. lol

There's a thread on here about polymer 1911's...I basically threw up though. I couldn't contain myself there. That's such a mortal sin in my books.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #71
warningshot

Thank You, ZXCYBOB.

Thanks for saying, 'it', better than I did.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:51 PM   #72
varoadking

I've owned a few...

Overall, I think they are cheap garbage...
Old October 21, 2012, 09:24 PM   #73
StainlessSteel215

I am putting my new PT809 9mm through a 2k round torture test because I have THAT much confidence in the pistol already. Already up to 400 rounds of mixed ammo, not a SINGLE hiccup and I havent cleaned it yet.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:22 PM   #74
Gaerek

So, uh, why'd you have to ship your guns back? I guess if you make so-so guns, your Customer Service has to be tip-top to make up for it. I'd rather have a gun I don't need to contact customer service for.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #75
HKFan9

Not trying to pick on you Stainless but here in lies some of the issue...

Quote:
I am putting my new PT809 9mm through a 2k round torture test because I have THAT much confidence in the pistol already. Already up to 400 rounds of mixed ammo, not a SINGLE hiccup and I havent cleaned it yet.
2000 rounds IS NOT a torture test.... it's more of a break in if anything. I have shot that much ammo through one of my guns in a weekend. Ammo isn't cheap.. I know this... and we all can't afford to shoot as much as I or some others do.

However.. thinking it is torturing a gun to fire 2000 rounds is flawed logic.. they are designed to exceed that.. by 10's of thousands. Unfortunately a lot of the cheaper mad guns made today... really are pushing to go 5000 rounds with out any issues.

I don't care what the gun says on the side.. a reliable gun.. is a reliable gun... it is only reliable up until something breaks and its no longer reliable until repaired.... GENERALLY SPEAKING.... meaning OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions.... A Taurus... will reach that breaking point sooner. Sorry if it offends you... but I can almost assure you of it.

I work in a gun shop / gun smith shop. Our number one returned for warranty work brand is.. you guessed it.. Taurus. Sure.. I have seen EVERYTHING get returned.. more than once... Sig.. H&K... Colt.... $2500 custom made 1911's you name it. The difference is I get a lot more Taurus's returned more frequently... and have even sent brand new store owned guns back to them because of how rough they came from the factory.

I will personally never recommend a Taurus to a customer for anything other than a range toy. You can get a great used gun for self defense at about the same price, ones with much better track records.

I will stand by my post in the first start of this thread and ask how can one think it is a step in the right direction when you had to return both of your Taurus's for issues? To me that would be unacceptable.