The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Mike / Tx

M p 358-640 hp

Well these were shot and recovered a while back, but I thought I would post them up just for show and tell.

The load is 13grs of AA-9. These were shot from two different GP 100's and captured at 25yds.

Of course these didn't have any fancy PC on them. It would however be nice to see others that did......hint hint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0420131732a.jpg (228.6 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg 0420131736a.jpg (152.0 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by Mike / Tx; June 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old June 15, 2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Beagle333

Like these?

Mebbe I can get some stuffed in some brass tubes soon. Yesterday I finally got Mom to come off her JM 1894C for a while. She's been bogarting it for a couple of years, but I took her a bunch of .30-30 shells for her Winny and her 336 and so she can chase coyotes with those for a while, since she was out of shells for the .357 anyway.

I got a bunch of turtles that are going to be real unhappy to hear of this new addition to the gun rack.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:59 AM   #3
mikld

Cool Mike! Where dija post 'em?
Old June 15, 2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

You know the pics were there when I posted it.

Hopefully they will be there when I check back.

You got it Beagle, now show some looking like (hopefully)those above.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Beagle333

This one wasn't powdercoated, but it was the same alloy as the ones above. They aren't the 1.75 blend. These are 95-2.5-2.5 isotope cores.
They just shatter in water jugs.

The 1.75 is leaning against the pot awaiting the next casting session.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 15, 2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Yep same thing as I found, and I am believing that around the 2/2/96 mark is going to be about tops for getting the expansion and holding together well.

That said, what velocity were you running those at do you remember? Were they from your revolver or rifle? That could be the difference as well.

I'm working on getting the 2/2/96 up and going. It has been a bit hectic around here with work and sick critters. Not sure when I will get to test some but hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm REALLY hoping that I will be able to run the 45 270 SAA HP out of my 454 with some reduced loads, well hotter than I am running in my RH anyway, but still be able to get good expansion like I do with the Colt. But hey, if the HP don't work the solid will, and I know that from the 454 280C from Accurate,

Just think, those were from my Colt at around 1150fps, I should be able to easily hit 1300's from the Raging Bull. Talk about a pig popper....
Old June 15, 2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Beagle333

Shoulda been a little over 1200. Those were from the GP.
6.3gr Unique. (my favorite load)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 24, 2014, 06:25 PM   #8
skizzums

I have a few of those left from you beagle, i'll give them a try and see what the do from the lever-gun in a .38 case. I think I have it loaded with hp-38

it did pretty good, as deep as the penta-pin was anyways, not folding inside-out like Mike's, but pretty decent. Also, this was from about 35yrds if that means anything. the green holds great

this is your alloy beagle, only you know the specifics
I believe when I chrono'd a couple of these, they were around 930fps from the 20" bbl

Last edited by skizzums; June 24, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old June 24, 2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Beagle333

Those were straight isotope cores. 95-2.5-2.5
They had a little too much antimony to make a good shroom.

They retained weight well though. Mine may have been going a little too fast for that alloy is why mine exploded.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 28, 2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Mike / Tx

Earlier in the week I blended up a small batch of 2/2/96 to see if it would hold up against the previous alloy of 1.75/1.75/96.5.

I poured up 50 or so of the large cavity 359640 with the new alloy and this morning I sized, lubed, and loaded 12 of them identical to the ones listed above.

What I was hoping to see was that the noses might not have expanded so far back on the shanks.

So around 11'ish this morning I headed down to the back of the famr, set up my catch bucket and let 6 roll out of each of my GP's.

Looks like I need a new bucket and I should probably wait on my new glasses to get here before doing any more shooting.

I managed to catch 7 out of 12 which isn't very good for me, to say the least. Bad aim wasn't the only culprit at play though. I had several that hit high split out the top side of my bucket and head on out across the back pasture.

I took a few pics with my phone, but you will have to wait until Monday to see any of them as the phone won't sync up to either of my old PC's. I might get some of the recovered ones up this evening or in the morning though since I DID find the sweetie's camera after the fact.

The newer blend is a wash. I had consider4ed this but had to try it anyway. The actual hardness was on par with the other alloy howrever when I checked it with my Cabine Tree tester. Well maybe a hair harder at maybe around a 10.5 where the other is hitting a solid 10. I'm figuring that the added antimony is the killer, and in order to combat this I will have to adjust the velocity down or possibly try using a small pin or solid version.

I also have some 41's that I poured up as well but idn't have a chance to load any for this trip. Maybe next time.

Last edited by Mike / Tx; June 28, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:46 PM   #11
skizzums

just to make life easier mike, you can just email the pic from your phone to your email address, even if you dont have a smartphone you just type in your email address as the phone number in the text message

then just save the pic from your email right to your computer

you probably already know this and im just making an a$# of myself
Old July 3, 2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

Yea I know, and don't sweat the other thing, I am not one to turn down helpful info.

I have a bunch going on since we got back and well just haven't gotten to this just yet. I'll try to get some nice good shots up this weekend of both the former and the latter so there is a side by side comparrison.

I should have some time, by the looks of the weather, I doubt I am going to be sitting out at the range all day tomorrow like I had hoped.

Oh and I seen you should be getting one of these molds as well soon. Just read up on how to start off with it and you will be good to go. I would suggest, depending on your on hand alloy material that you try the well repeated 50/50 of pure and clip on wheel weights as an alloy with only a touch of tin if your not getting good fill out. I would also start with your alloy around 700 and work it up slow in temp until you start getting them to drop right out of the mold. I always preheat the mold as well. I'm not sure of the temp but it is up around half way on my two burner hot plate. Usually I will set another smaller mold on top, just to get good contact with the brass, as the handles sometimes will hold one end up.

I got in on that order as well but only for a full set of pins. I wanted to be able to modify both the large round and the penta into a shorter one so I don't have the very deep cavities. If I'm not mistaken this set also comes with a cup point which the original GB didn't have. That will be tested out as well.

The driving force behind this one is that I have a 12" Contender barrel that I am REALLY wanting to hunt with. Once I get something that will hold up to the velocity a bit better, then I will start working on a good accuracy load with the aid of a nice fixed 4x or 2-6 variable scope. I have always like the 357's, but the bigger hogs we have shot over the years has persuaded me to more into bigger territory with my revolvers. I have taken plenty with my 41, a couple with my 44, and half a dozen or so with my 454. So once I get the 357's working I will either be using these or the 358429's, or I might hit Beagle up for a loan of his monster buster mold....

Last edited by Mike / Tx; July 3, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:20 PM   #13
Beagle333

Behold!!!!!.......

The Monster Buster. 215 grains of it.

I ordered my barrel for my .35 Whelen build this morning. This thing is gonna rock at 2500+fps!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 4, 2014, 12:10 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Beagle, that's ... um ... ridiculous.
I was in on the group buy for the NOE 358009 (~290 gr RN + HP option) for the .35 Whelen that I still don't have. I dropped out of the group buy after 2 years of not having enough interest and Al making us dead last for production, when he had to change the way he ran GBs (adding a minimum of 22 more months to the wait ). But I still want my Whelen (I've had loaded ammo for 6 years!). One of these days....

It's not worth starting a thread, since I don't have any cast. But, I thought I'd mention that I picked up an NOE 432-265 RD RG2 the other day. And... I just need time to cast and coat, to throw up some pics of the Hi-Tek coated 265 FPs and 240 HPs. Everything is ready to go. I just need the time...
Old July 4, 2014, 07:18 AM   #15
Beagle333

Did you ever get the 358009? He has them in stock now. I don't know if they are from a Group Buy or he just started stocking them. I'm not sure if I need that much lead out front. NOE catalog, page 1

I have been following this thread with some interest, but it doesn't look like anybody can shoot it 10 times in the same day.
358009-boolit-and-a-35-whelen

I probably won't get the 358627 (above) to go much faster than 18-1900 fps in the real world. Jacketed velocities are 25-2900. But it should be fun tryin'!
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; July 4, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old July 4, 2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Vance

I have a Saeco mold for a 358 diameter 200 grain round nose that I've only cast a few from. Have nothing to shoot them from. It is my only steel mold.
Old July 6, 2014, 04:51 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Did you ever get the 358009? He has them in stock now. I don't know if they are from a Group Buy or he just started stocking them.
No, I didn't.

He has actually had the tooling for those molds for quite some time. That was the biggest bummer of the group buy I was in (that wasn't going anywhere) -- He already had the tooling for brass, steel, and aluminum, but didn't want to run it until we met the standard "large group buy" threshold of the time. ...Which, of course, kept bumping us down the schedule, into oblivion.

I actually held one of the cherries IN MY HANDS for that bullet, when I was in his home shop to pick up some 314316 molds for my .32 revolvers and .30 rifles. But, over a year later, I had to pull out.
And, now, without a Whelen, I can't justify it. (I don't want to buy a mold, only to end up with a rifle that can't handle the OAL that that bullet demands.)