The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Bubba the Roach

If this is all you had

Okay so some how or another you have missed the end of the world(coma, drug dazed whatever you pick it)and all the powder you have is about eight pounds of unique for all you loading needs. Lets make the list small. What kind of loads would you come up with so for .223 or .308win? Okay so lets say thats in reverse and all you have is Varget to load your .38/.357mag and 9mm. What kind of loads would you use for that? Thanks for all the responds in advance

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 10, 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Zombies
Old August 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Have you looked on the "powder company" web sites yet? They all list loading data for all their powders and different calibers. There are also many re-loading manuals with the information you need.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
serf 'rett

UtopiaT: Just wondering if you have looked at the powder companies' web sites? I'd love to know what you found for that Unique loaded in .223 or 308.

Reloader mantra would apply - start low, work up, but Unique to Varget is a considerable jump in burn rate and you may get et before you get loads worked up.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
mikld

In that situation, I would leave the 223/308 at home and only load 9mm, 38/357. BTW; your post about this over at The High Road, was closed...
Old August 10, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
jcwit

You seem to be getting the same type of replies you got on the other forum where the thread is now locked
Old August 10, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This isn't TheHighRoad forum. What happened to a thread there is irrelevant. Respond to the question posed or do not respond.
Old August 10, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
GWS

Personally, I think this country is getting closer to that fiction all the time. I also believe it doesn't hurt to talk about it, as long as you don't advocate anarchy and going out on the streets to "kill zombies." In reality, while there is no such thing as "walking dead," we do have real human beings, damaged by drugs, and/or in servitude to drug lords, who act as if they were. As scary as they are, if you and your loved ones are in the wrong place at the wrong time, we can't just go to war with them, Hollywood style, can we? But we all have the right to 1. defend ourselves, and 2. expect law enforcement to fight the bigger war. If and when THAT breaks down....well then it's back to number 1.

I'm an old boy scout. I believe in getting and being prepared. Collecting a reasonable supply of reloading components and supplies is reasonable and wise...but not as wise as collecting a year supply of food and at least a month's supply of water. Ammo comes after.

Just one powder for such a supply is silly, unless you wait until that's all that's left. Without any research, I would collect at a minimum, Unique for pistol/shotgun/30-30 rifle, and 4895 for .308 rifle. That's for starters, but why limit it to that while you can get more? To me Tac seems to be a better idea than Varget, for .223, but I think 4895 would work if that's all there is.

If you can't find a published load from a trusted source that has the facilities and resources to test and document, .... just pass that combination by.

I don't know anyone that qualifies for that on gun forums....do you? That's why we have loading manuals, and powder manufacturer's loading data. If you can't find a load from those sources for a particular gun/powder...again pass it by. Your own research using good sources is the best research.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 10, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old August 10, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Bubba the Roach

I do apogolize to all for the silly way I presented the question. My aim was not to offend anyone at anytime. I was just trying to have a little fun with a post.

Bubba
Old August 10, 2012, 05:19 PM   #9
jepp2

Quote:
Okay so some how or another you have missed the end of the world(coma, drug dazed whatever you pick it)
Using your criteria, I would assume the internet would be down. My loading manuals wouldn't show rifle loads using Unique, or handgun loads using Varget. So I would fire up my computer with Quickload on it, and determine some loads that used the components I had on hand. So if I had to use Unique in a rifle, at least I could see a starting load to work from.

But as others mentioned, reloading would be pretty far down my "To Do" list.
Old August 10, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10
UtopiaTexasG19

serf 'rett,
I would never advocate on a public forum the use of a powder/load not listed on a manufacturer's web site or from published data. One does not know on a forum if the OP is a well established re-loader or someone who is just starting to learn and throwing out recipes for loads not listed is just plain stupid. I have been re-loading since 1972 and still have a lot to learn but know where my limit lies. YMMV
Old August 10, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
RWNielsen

I would think that Varget, in stick form, would spew burning powder out the barrel/cylinder gap and back through the breech while sticking the bullet in the forcing cone.
Old August 10, 2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Edward429451

Unique can be loaded in anything. I have used it for pistol loads, rifle loads, and shotgun shell loads. 12.0 gr of Unique under almost any cast lead bullet from 110 gr up to 180 gr in .308 Win is mighty versatile from small game to big game at short range.

I think IMR-4895 should be the other powder. Fair results in 223 and 308.

Your preperations you speak of is a good idea, but I hope you know that to really do this means...you better buy a couple moulds so you can cast boolits for your guns! You haven't over looked this aspect have you, hmmm?
Old August 11, 2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Bubba the Roach

thanks Edward that s the kind of response I thpught I would get alot of. And yes Im in the process of getting into casting so as I can get the idea of buying more stuff past my wife
Old August 11, 2012, 06:05 AM   #14
Salmoneye

Red Dot

There can be only one...

Old August 11, 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
GWS

Quoting my first post:
Quote:
...I would collect at a minimum, Unique for pistol/shotgun/30-30 rifle, and 4895 for .308 rifle. That's for starters, but why limit it to that while you can get more? To me Tac seems to be a better idea than Varget, for .223, but I think 4895 would work if that's all there is.
It appears Edward and I pretty much agree, except that I didn't specify which 4895, only because it would depend on what you find. IMR would be my preference as well, but H4895 or even the Russian variety of 4895 they have used for AK47 rounds, would do.

My other point was prepare now while you can get more rather than wait until you have nothing to buy. For my AR15-types I would add Tac to the list.....lots of Tac. Other than that IMR4895 and Unique would do it all.

Stock up on primers, make sure you can reload without power or batteries. Get a beam scale.

Last edited by GWS; August 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:37 AM   #16
mohr308

I would take the Varget for my .223/.308, seeing I have loaded data and fired test data for both.
Old August 13, 2012, 07:20 AM   #17
griz

Of the two scenarios, I think that Unique would work better in a rifle than Varget in a handgun. At least you could get Unique to make the bullet exit the rifle barrel.