The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2000, 10:38 AM   #1
Medic

I seem to have a problem with one of my magazines. It's a Pro-Mag 15 rounder for the Ruger P-series. Upon loading and subsequent removal of all rounds, it seems the follower is hanging up on the hole for the magazine catch. It looks like the top of the follower is catching the hole. (For those that aren't aware, the Ruger mag-catch is in the front of the magazine in the middle.) I think that I might be able to sand the follower down a bit an fix it...alternatively I could sent it back to Pro-Mag and let them deal with it. Any suggestions or similar problems and fixes?

Thanks,
Medic
Old February 9, 2000, 11:45 PM   #2
VictorLouis

You should be able to access the top (or bottom?) of the catch hole w/a very small file. One to three gentle passes over the offending area should break the edge. Insert the stem of a sturdy Q-tip brand swab into your hand drill. Dab a little toothpaste on the tip & workover all 4 inside edges of the square hole. If you modify the plastic follower, the spring tension may just "pitch" it back forward into the burr anyway. Hope this helps.
Old February 10, 2000, 04:06 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The magazine is like the engine for the gun. If it aint working right - the car aint going anywhere.
When you clean your gun - clean the mags as well.
Medic - sounds like you mag could benifit from a few seconds of quality time with a Dremmel rotory tool. After a touch of the grind stone and a bit of sanding and polishing... You'll be good to go again.

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!