The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Pathfinder45

YES.

Brian, it sounds like you want to make bullets? I think there might be an opportunity...... There was a fairly popular bullet that had a good reputation but it's maker decided to discontinue it in favor of a cheaper but adequate product. If you could obtain a license to make and distribute the discontinued bullet you could be golden........or perhaps silver. Of course, I'm talking about the original Silvertip.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:26 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
174~180 Gr Flat Base .312" either FMJ, or spitzer softpoint/hollowpoint.
What cartridges would use that and how popular would it be?
Old February 28, 2013, 01:31 PM   #28
wogpotter

Quote:
What cartridges would use that and how popular would it be?
.303 British, 7.7 Arisaka & some of the bigger bored Moisin-Nagants in 7.62 Soviet.

Popular in quantiy? I'm not sure but I can tell you there are frequently several threads running in MilSurp rifle based forums on an ongoing basis, complaining that there is no such bullet available in the U.S.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 28, 2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Fascinating. Thanks for the tip.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:10 PM   #30
schmellba99

Something for a 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 that has both the characteristics required for self defense, but also will no overpenetrate through either flesh or walls?

Right now you have a choice of either or with handgun projectiles. I think that both is probably against the laws of physics, but you did ask the question.

Or a rifle bullet material that can be cast, but loaded at jacketed velocities without detriment to your rifle.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:27 PM   #31
Machine

Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

I don't understand why there aren't many AP rifle rounds. Part of the reason I suppose is that more people keep screwing it up by making pistols that use these rifle rounds and then falls under prohibited items since a pistol is available.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:52 PM   #32
Quadpod88

Quote:
I don't understand why there aren't many AP rifle rounds.
Believe me or not, most rifle calibers can be found with an AP variant.

Quote:
Of course, I'm talking about the original Silvertip.
That is fascinating. What would be the difference in the BC of a silvertip as opposed to a standard factory round of the same weight? Using any given example.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:26 PM   #33
mapsjanhere

Frangible bullet with tungsten carbide balls inside. Instant damage for limb hits, deep penetration with body hits, no ricochets or over penetration. The Peeza safety slug.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #34
Magnum Wheel Man

BRIAN...

I know what you are after...

a buddy of mine has been swaging light weight 6mm soft points into shorter pointed bullets for a couple odd calibers 256 Winchester Magnum, & he has a wildcat that he almost perfectly duplicated a 25 Blackout, that he's using these shorter bullets for...

I'm sure mainstream would be tough, but I'll be looking for a bullet like my buddy makes for my new "257 Special" revolver... that bullet would also perhaps work well for varmints in 257 Roberts or 25-06 or ???

maybe finding prolific shooting wildcatters would be easier than finding something mainstream, that hasn't been covered yet ???
Old February 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #35
number 9

I'm not sure if I am following the topic correctly, but I would like to see 9 mm components that act as a varmint round. The velocity may not be high enough or some other issues but it would be handy around the homestead and may possibly address over penetration if that becomes an issue.

Just a thought
Leonard
Old February 28, 2013, 04:15 PM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

^^^ or low richochet possibilities for use around populated areas or farms

BTW... I could use a reasonably priced .416 bullet
Old February 28, 2013, 04:46 PM   #37
5R milspec

Around here its hard to find 244 Rem,for a friend has one to why I know this.Thats why he reloads for his 244 Rem.If I am not wrong I think he could shoot 260 Rem in his rifle,so if I am right this might not fit the bill for ya.I'll have to look in the book to make sure if I am right.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man View Post
BRIAN...

I know what you are after...

a buddy of mine has been swaging light weight 6mm soft points into shorter pointed bullets for a couple odd calibers 256 Winchester Magnum, & he has a wildcat that he almost perfectly duplicated a 25 Blackout, that he's using these shorter bullets for...

I'm sure mainstream would be tough, but I'll be looking for a bullet like my buddy makes for my new "257 Special" revolver... that bullet would also perhaps work well for varmints in 257 Roberts or 25-06 or ???

maybe finding prolific shooting wildcatters would be easier than finding something mainstream, that hasn't been covered yet ???
I don't need mainstream, I need exactly what you're talking about.... all the demand I'd need is couple thousand bullets a week, provided guys don't think they're going to buy them for 20 cents.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #39
Sevens

This isn't precisely what you asked for but yet it's not specifically just a "supply" problem, but in my opinion (or should I say... for my needs ) where the biggest hole comes is in the availability of bulk handgun bullets.

Obviously, 9mm and .45 are amongst the leaders in handgunning popularity and there are multiple bulk sources for jacketed bullets for these guys. And plated works awfully well for those who need some of the jacketed qualities that you don't get from cast lead bullets, and you can buy plated bullets in bulk. But there's a place where plated bullets have their limit and only jacketed will do and yet there are either none or extremely limited venues for bulk bullets. I'm talking about making purchases no smaller than 1,000 pieces and more commonly at around 3,000 pieces & beyond.

--The most glaringly obvious one is a .357" true jacketed slug available in bulk. Zero and Montana Gold may be the only bulk suppliers. Hard to count Nosler's 250-pack as bulk given that it's only 250...and expensive.

--For a select few of us on Earth...a bulk jacketed .312" handgun bullet (85-115 gr w/cannelure) sure would be nice. Nobody in the world makes such a beast.

--Bulk jacketed in .41" and .429" would sure come in handy.

No doubt, Hornady makes some terrific bullets in -ANY- of the sizes I just pointed out. Extremely high quality and accurate. But if you simply want volume for the pure enjoyment of a lot of trigger time with all of your handguns, you'd go half broke buying these slugs at retail, 100 pieces at a time.

So while the "industry demand" isn't all too great for the things I pointed out... I believe that if someone offered them, someone would sell a holy hella lot of them.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:05 PM   #40
BoogieMan

Depleted uranium 165gr BT for 30-06, deer in PA can be very tricky. Cant find them before or after the hype.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 28, 2013, 08:14 PM   #41
hooligan1

Build me accubond type of hollowpoint that penetrates like a partition but works with a bunch of different powders in .22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, .30 338 and 35, and 44 caliber, that is cheaper than blemms from Sierra or Speer.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:20 PM   #42
Nathan

YES!

I would like a 200gr all copper .375 high bc bullet for my 375 JDJ.

A .224 ~60 gr FB VLD for ultra accurate 100-600yd varmints.

A reasonably priced $40 per 100 .277 140 gr or 150 gr 270 WSM bullet.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:21 PM   #43
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Cheap, bulk are not words that go with custom bullets.

I'm not sure the terms VLD and FB can be in one bullet.

Quote:
BTW... I could use a reasonably priced .416 bullet
Define "reasonable".

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 28, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:04 PM   #44
Pathfinder45

B.C. of SilverTips

Quote:
That is fascinating. What would be the difference in the BC of a silvertip as opposed to a standard factory round of the same weight?
Comparable. 270 Winchester 130 grain SilverTips are fairly sharp pointed and they don't flatten their tips in the magazine during recoil. 30-30 SilverTips, on the other hand, have flat points. I think ballistic co-efficience is over emphasized these days. Out to 200 yards there is little difference in trajectory between, say, 180 grain round nose vs the same weight spitzer-boat-tail in the ubiquitous 30-'06 of whatever. The original purpose of spitzers bullets is to greatly extend the effective range of machine guns. For normal hunting distances within the range of what 95% of game is actually taken their is no need for super high B.C. bullets other than to maintain customer loyalty from those who believe it matters. Sales often have a lot more to do with perceived need than actual need. Silvertips may be discontinued because they may cost more to produce than the Power-Point and they do essentially the same job. But the belief that the SilverTip is better, especially for bears, moose, elk etc., induces sales of SilverTips. Everyone except for the ignorant knows that Pepsi tastes better than Coke; but when Coke changed their recipe it made a big uproar. What? No SilverTips? That ain't right! Gotta have SilverTips.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:13 AM   #45
hooligan1

Quote: Cheap, bulk are not the words associated with custom bullets..
Who's going to spread the word and test these bullets Brian? You definetly need to gather a large market, simply by saying "I got custom bullets" ain't going to pack no freight trains, however if they are reasonably price everyone will at least try them, and if you send sample packs out and gain some feedback, it's cheaper for us to test than for you to test...... See where I'm going captain.....
Old March 1, 2013, 08:39 AM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah man... Marketing.

But you've got to be able to sell them for a high enough profit to make it worth your while. It doesn't matter how many you can sell if you can't do it for a profit.

It's absolutely impossible for one man with a swage press to sell jacketed bullets at 20 cents and not worth his time at 40 cents.

These aren't plinking bullets. They have to fill a niche that people are willing to pay to have filled. Either in competition shooting or a small market with little/no bullet available.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 1, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:14 AM   #47
Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadpod88 View Post
Believe me or not, most rifle calibers can be found with an AP variant.

That is fascinating. What would be the difference in the BC of a silvertip as opposed to a standard factory round of the same weight? Using any given example.
Is there a commercially available one in 338 Lapua?
Old March 1, 2013, 10:04 AM   #48
wogpotter

Price is going to have an effect on sales volume, its just a fact of life. I had a company based on the premise that as people had told me this, they were "looking for a demonstrably higher-quality product than what was currently being offered". What they forgot to mention was they did, indeed want a higher-quality product, but weren't prepared to pay more for it than for the mediocre current offering!

How much are you thinking per box?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 1, 2013, 10:13 AM   #49
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't answer that until I have an idea of what I might make. Like I said though, at 40 cents a bullet it wouldn't be worth your time, virtually guaranteed. The market is not the guy who wants plinking bullets. These would be premium bullets to do a specific job.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:33 AM   #50
snuffy

Quote:
Build me accubond type of hollowpoint that penetrates like a partition but works with a bunch of different powders in .22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, .30 338 and 35, and 44 caliber, that is cheaper than blemms from Sierra or Speer.
Well, federal/speer brought out the "fusion" bullet in almost all of the above calibers, BUT they weren't available as components. Now, they have introduced the same concept called the deep curl bullet. Both are plated bullets, and ARE bonded!

The fusion, as factory loaded ammo, was overlooked because it didn't cost enough! How could it be a premium bullet at that price?

I got some of the deep curl in 30 cal, 165 grain, loaded them in 30-06, for my 03-A3 springfield. I then shot them into the test medium from the-bullet-test-tube. It performed just like an accu-bond, or Hornady interbond.

The reason more specialty bullets are NOT made is the cost of setting up and doing business. FFL type 06 is required, local and state regulations, tax collection, and the big one, insurance! Cost of core lead, and jackets, AND the expensive shipping is another hurdle.

It CAN be done, but you would be turning a hobby into WORK!. If I HAD to quit hammering keys on this puter, go back and make ammo or bullets to fill an order, I'd hate it real quick!

As far as the "silver tip", it never had any silver on/in it. The tip was aluminum. It being harder resisted deformation, and helped initiate expansion when it hit. A protected point bullet.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?