The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
reinert

Gun Registration

Hello Forum Folks,

I just heard Bill O'Reilly say on the Factor tonight that 69% of Americans support gun registration. Is this right? Now, if he's talking about back ground checks and filling out the yellow paper, I'd probably believe that. But, as far as I remember, filling out the yellow paper (and how that's handled) and actual gun registration would be two different things altogether, no?

Really? No, O'Reilly... is Bill right? REGISTRATION? 69%? Please let me know the facts, even if they are stubborn things.

Among the concerned these days,

reinert

P.S. My hearing isn't the best these days either, so, maybe I heard Bill wrong. Hope so.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Crankgrinder

They also say the majority supports AWB also. were you polled? i know i was not. People can poll specific groups in certain places known for their support of different things to obtain the results they want, and then portray these "results" as the true oponions of the general public. That is what i believe is happening.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

72% of all statistics found on the internet are entirely fictitious.

I don't think there's any way that 69% of the American public supports registration. Whether 69% of those Americans polled support it may be a different question, but then I have to question how people were chosen for polling. Was it because they logged into the Brady Campaign website, for example?
Old February 8, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
72% of all statistics found on the internet are entirely fictitious.
Yep. Just like the 78% of Mexican crime guns that come from the US, the fact that I'm 43 times more likely to be the victim of a shooting if I keep a gun in the home, and the fact that 40% of gun sales are unregistered.

There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
reinert

Dear Forum,

I didn't personally get polled by any media folks, but I try to stay on top of things pertaining to 2nd amendment issues as best I can (much thanks and kudos to this forum). I really didn't/don't believe the 69% approval for registration posed as a fact on the Factor, but I did hear Mr. Bill say that HE did believe in gun registration. Yeah, "just looking out for the folks." Most certainly, everyone's allowed their own opinion, just as we're certainly allowed to disagree, as I do, on the registration concern.

reinert
Old February 9, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
jason_iowa

Well we know that the anti gun establishments propaganda has had an effect on opinions. We see that in the polls. They are quite clever in their propaganda. IDK who did this particular poll or even if the poll was accurately portrayed on fox news. Doubtful as they are one of the biggest misinformation machines among an entire business of misinformation.

I have seen legitimate polls though that show us on the losing side of the gun control argument. Thankfully we still have the constitution on our side and we do not have mob rule.

We just need to stay on top of our legislators because in the current climate we are not going to win hearts and minds... Just one old sailors opinion
Old February 9, 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
NESHOOTER

Yup! I saw the same he's a dork and vowed to my wife I AM BANNING WATCHING HIM ANYMORE.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:20 AM   #8
okiewita40

No way do I believe that 69% of american's think a gun registry is a good thing. I know I would not ever register any of my gun's.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:11 AM   #9
reinert

I tried to see if a certain video clip was already posted somewhere here on the forum, but I got a no match result on the forum's search engine. This video, on youtube, needs to be seen by all responsible, American citizen gun owners. And I'm sure many, if not most of you, have already seen it. If not, link to it through this web address: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfItX8m8ro

If you can't get through on the address I gave here, just google; "bill stevens sandy hook." A REAL VOICE for our gun issues these days. It's just too bad that there's too much common sense expressed by Mr. Stevens, as those two words (C.S.) have been tossed out the window long ago regarding our political system (let alone the media...).

Mr. Stevens' presentation is less than 3 minutes long, but should play forever as "spot-on" for our 2nd amendment RIGHTS.

reinert
Old February 9, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Webleymkv

Having watched O'Reilly on and off for years, I've noticed that when it comes to firearms, he's more often than not woefully misinformed. I would not be surprised to learn that he does not know the difference between a NICS check and registration and simply assumes that one equates to the other. While he often brings up valid points on other issues, I take most, if not all, of what Bill O'Reilly says about guns and the Second Amendment as worth a large grain of salt.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11
MLeake

O'Reilly may often be misinformed, but he never lacks the conviction that he is right.

This can be a serious handicap.

I wonder if he thinks we should have a falafel registry...
Old February 9, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
O'Reilly may often be misinformed, but he never lacks the conviction that he is right.
This is what I call "frequently wrong, but never in doubt."
Old February 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #13
C7AR15

Canada cut registration

In 2012 the canadian Government (Conservative Party) lived up to it's
promise and dismantalled the long gun registry.
It had been in place or 16 years and cost taxpayers 1 BILLION dollars. The
total number of guns registered was 7 million.
The number of crimes committed with rifle and shotguns has always been low.
So the government decided to stop wasting money on this Noble experiment.

However - Handguns are still registered and their use is restricted to use at a approved gun club only.

This is the first time in 50 years where gun control was rolled back in Canada!!

Tell your Pro Registration people that CANADA CUT BACK GUN REGISTRATION
Old February 9, 2013, 03:23 PM   #14
mack59

And a recent poll of gun owners indicated that 65 percent of gun owners say they would not register their guns, which could be consistent with O'Rielly's reported poll and is consistent with the experience in Canada, which would mean the registration would do nothing except make criminals of 90 million (give or take a few million) Americans. Yep, sounds like a brilliant idea if your goal is to make criminals of your average gun owner. First threaten to ban a lot of guns and threaten confiscation in CA where 10 percent of the population resides to scare the hell out of people who have seen registration lead to confiscation in England and Australia already, then when you have ensured that most won't register their guns, pass a law requiring registration and viola most gun owners are criminals. Sounds like a win win for gun controllers.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:50 PM   #15
dlb435

It all depends on how the question was asked.
Example:
Are you in favor of all gun sales being subject to a backgound check even if that ment regeristering firearms?
I'm guessing 72% of people would say yes.
Are you in favor of gun registration so the government can confiscate guns in the future?
I'd quessing that 90% of people would say no.
FYI - lots of my non-gun owning friends think that all guns are registered now. It's often difficult to explain that they are not registered. Many also think that is easy for the government to track gun ownership. They don't understand the FFL sales record system or the difficulty in tracking a gun sold 20 years ago.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:54 PM   #16
2ndsojourn

I've had some of the same experience as dlb. I just ask them 'What's this registry you're talking about? Explain it to me'

ETA: Although I think here in NJ there is some registry, at least at the local level, on handguns. We need a permit to purchase a handgun, and it's a 4-part carbon copy form. At least one of the copies gets sent to the local PD. (I'll have to check my paper work later when I get a chance).
Old February 9, 2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Nico Testosteros

O'Reilly is making stuff up, again.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:36 PM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

Minister of Propaganda said something about lies. I think our opponents learned it well.

Statistics may be adjusted by how the question was asked. It could be based on a broad interpretation of the present laws. "Do you support the present gun laws?" "Do you support the completion of the yellow 4473 form?"
Old February 9, 2013, 08:23 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Most people only know what they have been told. Since what they have been told is nothing but lies, what else would you expect from them?
Old February 10, 2013, 09:48 PM   #20
BIGR

Yea, I was watching when he said that and I thought there is no way in Heck that that many people favor gun registration. Someone was smoking or eating some good stuff....
Old February 11, 2013, 04:37 AM   #21
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
This is what I call "frequently wrong, but never in doubt."
[Lipless]That's a LOT better than the one I had.[/Lipless]

I had "Too right to be wrong." 'Goes along with being illinformed and strongly opinionated.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:51 AM   #22
Fleabag

"In 2012 the canadian Government (Conservative Party) lived up to it's
promise and dismantalled the long gun registry.
It had been in place or 16 years and cost taxpayers 1 BILLION dollars. The
total number of guns registered was 7 million.
The number of crimes committed with rifle and shotguns has always been low.
So the government decided to stop wasting money on this Noble experiment.

However - Handguns are still registered and their use is restricted to use at a approved gun club only.

This is the first time in 50 years where gun control was rolled back in Canada!!

Tell your Pro Registration people that CANADA CUT BACK GUN REGISTRATION"

Ilegal guns are not registered or they stoped being registered when it fell in the hands of a criminal.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:34 AM   #23
Ben Towe

Quote:
FYI - lots of my non-gun owning friends think that all guns are registered now. It's often difficult to explain that they are not registered. Many also think that is easy for the government to track gun ownership. They don't understand the FFL sales record system or the difficulty in tracking a gun sold 20 years ago.
There is a HUGE percentage of gun owners who believe that all guns bought at a gun store are registered. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say they wanted to buy used from someone so it wouldn't be "in their name". These aren't criminals, just regular people who are deathly afraid that Obama & Co. are coming for their guns.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:37 AM   #24
ScottRiqui

Quote:
There is a HUGE percentage of gun owners who believe that all guns bought at a gun store are registered. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say they wanted to buy used from someone so it wouldn't be "in their name". These aren't criminals, just regular people who are deathly afraid that Obama & Co. are coming for their guns.
I may be among the ill-informed, then. Or maybe I'm just confusing "registration" with "trackability". But when I buy a gun at a gun store, isn't my name then associated with that gun in the dealer's bound book? I agree that's not the same thing as a statewide or nationwide "registration", but it does connect the gun to me, so I can see how someone might want to acquire a gun via a face-to-face private transaction in order to avoid any formal record of ownership.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:39 AM   #25
BigD_in_FL

Since many wanting registration often mention cars, this was on another site - I apologize if it is already on a thread here - but it is a good read:

Quote:
I keep hearing people say they want to regulate guns the way we regulate cars. They don't really mean that, of course. What they mean is they want to make it acceptable to find more ways to intrude on the right to keep and bear arms.

I propose instead, we regulate cars the way we regulate guns. Let's start:

To buy or operate a standard car, one will have to be 18 years old. Under that age, adult supervision will be mandatory. This means the adult must be in the vehicle with the underage driver.

To buy a sports car, you will have to be 21. A "Sports car" will be defined as any combination of any two of the following: 2 doors instead of 4, spoked rims not requiring hubcaps, aerodynamic effects such as spoilers or air dams, a wheelbase under 100 inches, a manual transmission, a curb weight under 3000 lbs, fiberglass or other non-metal construction, or painted logos.

For every purchase, you will have to fill out a questionnaire confirming you're a US citizen, do not use drugs or abuse alcohol, have never had a conviction for alcohol related incidents or reckless driving. Lying on this form will be punishable by 10 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.

New cars will only be purchased from Federal Automobile Licensees who must provide fingerprints, proof of character, secure storage for all vehicles, and who must call the Federal Bureau of Motor Vehicles to verify your information before purchase. They may approve or decline or delay the sale. If they decline, you may appeal the decision in writing to a review board. If they delay, it becomes an approval automatically after 10 days. However, the dealer may decline to complete such a sale in case of later problems.

Additionally, the purchase of more than two cars in a given year will require signing an understanding that buying cars in order to resell them without a license is a crime. There is an 11% federal excise tax on all new vehicles, plus any state or local tax.

Federal Automobile Licensees must agree to submit to 24/7/365, unannounced, unscheduled searches of their entire homes, businesses and any relates properties and personal effects to be named later.

Then you will be eligible to take your drivers' license test to determine your eligibility to operate on the street. Rules will vary by state, with some states requiring proof of need to own a vehicle for business purposes, and up to 40 hours of professional education. Also, not all states will accept all licenses. You will need to keep track of this information. Additionally, speed limits will not be posted. It is your responsibility to research the driving laws in each area you wish to travel through. Some communities may not allow out of state vehicles, sports cars, or even any vehicles at all. Violation of these laws will result in confiscation and destruction of your vehicle by crushing.

To have a turbocharger, supercharger (External Engine Compression Devices) or a muffler will require an application to the Federal Bureau of Motor Vehicles. A $2000 tax stamp will be required for these High Performance Vehicles. Your request must also be signed by the local chief law enforcement officer, and you must provide fingerprints. If approved in 10-16 weeks, you will be responsible for keeping your High Performance Vehicle in secure storage, and request permission in writing to take it out of state. You will need to carry this documentation with you. There are 13 states that do not allow possession of High Performance Vehicles. Be sure you are aware of those laws before planning your trips. (But really, what do you need such a vehicle for anyway? Who really needs to drive that fast? You must willingly accept and adhere to the socially accepted idea that you are inherently evil for merely possessing such a fast, high powered automobile.)

Additionally, superchargers and turbochargers must be manufactured before June 1, 1986. They may be sold and refitted by a FAL who also has a Special Occupational Tax license authorizing him to work on these. New superchargers, however, are a violation of federal law, except for use by the police or military, or specific government contractors. Expect to pay $15-$30,000 each for these items. Mufflers will only cost from $250-$1000, plus the $2000 stamp. However, once the muffler is damaged, it must be disposed of by cutting it into three pieces. Failure to do this may result in your family going through the next decade only knowing you in a prison jumpsuit and all your bank accounts seized and never replenished.

Imported sports cars will be prohibited. You may purchase other items from foreign manufacturers, but your automobile is in a special class of prohibition due to its inherently evil and sinister nature. The frames may be imported, cut into three pieces, and reassembled with US made engines and suspensions, as long as 60% of the parts are American. Shortly, though, the Transmission Loophole will be closed. The purpose of allowing imports is for spare parts, not to build more destructive "race vehicles.” Transmissions will have to be US made.

Repairs may only be conducted by a licensed FAL, who will send a truck to retrieve your vehicle. It must be a flatbed type truck, winch/dolly trucks are not allowed, under 10/$10,000 penalty. You may work on your own vehicle, but any repair that exceeds emission or performance standards will be subject to federal criminal charges. And violation of this reasonable regulation could result in not only your imprisonment and the confiscation of your assets but imprisonment of any employee or family member who was insane enough to repair your “race car” for you.

Be aware that an existing HPV may have multiple HP Features. A new HPV will require a license for each feature you wish to add to it—one each for muffler or external engine compression device. And you must request and receive, in writing, permission from the federal, state and local governing authorities prior to making such modifications.

Converting a standard car to a sports car will require payment of a $2000 tax, even if no HP features are added. However, if an FAL/SOT does the conversion on a new frame before the vehicle leaves their premises, it will only be a $50 tax. You will need to carry this documentation in the glove box at all times, the mere failure of which alone can result in an arrest and possible conviction.

There is discussion of closing the Car Dealer Loophole, through which private individuals sell cars to friends without going through an FAL. It is important we have these background checks. Surveys show criminals prefer to buy unlicensed to get around their legal liabilities so they can commit crimes in stolen vehicles, which evidence has proven for many years to be true.

Some vehicle law convictions will result in loss of your driving privileges forever. This includes reckless operation, drunk driving, an incorrect bumper height or attachment, or the wrong type of exhaust. Collisions may also result in permanent loss of driving, if injury occurs and negligence is proven. In addition, any felony conviction of any kind--even tax evasion--will mean permanent loss of your driving privileges. In these cases, it will even be illegal to ride or sit in a friend's car.

There is also discussion of prohibiting brightly colored vehicles. Vehicles are transportation, not toys, and should not be marketed in a way that suggests they are intended for casual use. It is important that everyone be aware of the dangerous nature of cars.

In the future, we may have to consider large displacement engines (anything over 2.5 liters) and transmissions with more than three speeds as being High Performance Items to be added to the federal registry. There will be a window during which you can register your items for $2000 each, provided you meet the background check. Otherwise, you will have to immediately surrender them to an FAL/SOT to dispose of on your behalf. Operating an unlicensed HPV after this date will result in confiscation and destruction of the vehicle, and the 10/$10,000 punishment.

These laws and regulations are due to drunk drivers, reckless drivers and other criminals. The automobile community should be glad it is allowed to exist at all, given all the deaths and environmental damage caused by these vehicles.

The president said today that he strongly supports your right to own and drive basic, standard vehicles for farm use and carpooling. But he and many other people have made it clear that eventually – maybe this month – we need to cease all manufacturing of such high powered automobiles for the civilian market.

Eventually, we need to move away from the notion that owning and operating a vehicle is a right and entitlement, and limit it to people with a proven, bona fide professional need. There are plenty of trains and buses for normal people. This is how most civilized nations are moving and is not a violation of your right to travel.

©2013 by Michael Z. Williamson www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
Permission to share granted for non profit purposes as long as this notice is included.
Start showing something like this to those folks and maybe they will start to see the insanity