The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1
El Paso Joe

Win 1897 takedown won't...

I picked up an 1897 Win in 16 Ga this past week. First step with a new gun is a thorough cleaning. It will not takedown. I can turn the magazine tube until it loosens but the tube will not come loose. Racking the slide does not work. Lots of CLP and penetrating oil have loosened it but it just seems to hang on something - moving a 32nd of an inch up then stops. I ordered AGI's DVD on the 1897 and it should be in some time this next week.

Any thoughts?
Old May 14, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
HiBC

I sold mine over 20 yrs ago,so this is a little fuzzy.

Don't get mad and break anything!Once again,I have forgotten,but I'll try.

I may have things out of order,but I think the bolt has to be back for the extractors to be back out of the extractor notches in the barrel.

The action bar has to be slid forward out of the window so the forward section can rotate.I forget how,but there is a widget or someting to disconnect the hook on the action bar from the slide

Then,when you push that button through on the mag tube and rotate 1/4 turn,the interrupted thread will allow you to push the mag tube forward.The shank of the mag tube has to disengage the rear receiver section before it can rotate.

I do not have one here to look at,but key,the extractors,the action bar,and the mag tube all have to be clear before it can take down.

That may be enough for you to get it done.

There are a lot of parts in a 97.Get all the video,takedown books,etc you can find.Study till you understand before you start.
If there is a group of cowboy shooters near,they may have a 97 guru.

Or,maybe if there is an old gunsmith around,he can walk you through it.

I think a large number of the 97's that are now cowboy shooting rose up out of basket case cigar boxes under benches....from when someone took them apart to clean them.

Good luck!
Old May 15, 2012, 12:49 PM   #3
El Paso Joe

Thanks HiBC. Will give it a try. Ordered a DVD from AGI on the 1897.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Scorch

A couple of ideas:
* If someone took out the magazine cross pin, they could have installed the magazine tube upside down (it will not go in the wrong way with the cross pin in place). Take out the cross pin and try to see if it will turn more than 1/4 turn and come out.
* Did you loosen the magazine band screws before trying to remove the tube?
Old May 17, 2012, 12:34 AM   #5
El Paso Joe

Thanks Scorch. Been lookin' at it to see if I could tell if it was upside down - found the cross pin and I am not sure how it comes out. Looks like it could just pull and slide out. But the tube is pretty much at the limit of the ccw turning limit looking down on the tube. I think that the actuating bar isn't letting go of what ever holds it to the action block. Really scratching my head on this one...

How would I know the tube being upside down could cause it to hang...

Really checking the mail several times a day to see when the (magic) DVD from AGI gets here...

Thanks again
Joi
Old May 17, 2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Hawg

http://youtu.be/-k4es3COdoc
Old May 17, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7
El Paso Joe

Thanks Hawg. Saw both his videos and the one from Midway. They just turn the tube and push the slide forward and the thing comes off. Mine doesn't. It may be that the threads are really dirty and I need to keep soaking it in CLP and working it. Am at a loss for anything more than that...

It does not appear to be on backwards - the tube turns the correct way to unscrew and seems to loosen and stop but the thing just won't let go.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8
El Paso Joe

Finally came loose. Just dirt and grime - soak with CLP and some elbow grease and it is done. Thanks for the help.