The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which 9mm 1911 do you prefer?
SW1911 Pro 6 12.24%
STI Duty One 7 14.29%
Dan Wesson Pointman 9 (available at Lipseys) 15 30.61%
Other 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 21, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Fargazer

Which 9mm 1911?

I am considering the purchase of a new 9mm 1911 pattern pistol, and am interested in the opinion of my fellow forum members. My general guidelines are:
  • $1500 or less; I have no pressing need to spend all $1500
  • 5" Government size preferred
  • Single stack magazine
  • I prefer a ramped barrel for 9mm, per advice from Tim Calhoun
    • I will use whatever magazines are needed to make it run right; I'll probably start with Wilson ETM magazines.
  • This is primarily a range gun, so my preference is a fiber optic front sight and an adjustable rear sight. If the gun doesn't have this, or I don't like what comes with the pistol, I'll get a set from Dawson Precision.
    • I'm not a tournament shooter, so compliance with IDPA or other rule sets isn't important. If I start doing that, I'll buy another pistol.
  • I want the option to occasionally carry it, so reliability is important.
    • I typically run American Eagle 147gr for practice, and Remington Golden Saber 147gr for carry.
    • I accept the possible need to break it in; I'd rather not have the break in period be more than 500 rounds.
  • No preference to frame material, as long as it is reliable. I tend to like pistols in the neighborhood of 40 oz, which seems to imply steel.
  • The manufacturer needs to consistently stand behind the product.
The above poll choices are my short list to date; all appear good, so any feedback of which to select is appreciated. If you choose other, please post what your alternative choice would be and why.

Thanks much!
Old March 21, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
vaskeet

Check out STI line Randy
Old March 21, 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Adamantium

I voted other. Honestly for the features you want you described an STI Spartan. If you did want to spend a little more there are other STI's though. The Trojan has target sights while the Lawman has adjustable carry style sights. Neither has a rail like the Duty One does though (which I think has fixed sights), but you didn't say how interested you were in that. I don't have an STI but they are quite common in USPSA and well talked about.

I've got a Dan Wesson Pointman in 45 and when I got is for $1200 I thought it was getting to the higher end of what it was worth. I just don't think it is a $1500+ gun. Just my opinion. Great gun after I got it working. It came from the factory as a jam-o-matic and CS was very willing to take a look at it but they just threw a band-aid on there and sent it back to me. So a little good and a little bad there. I could of sent it back but decided to tinker with it myself and it worked.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
hoytinak

I'd go with STI.

I had a Ranger II in 9mm that I REALLY liked and I'm not a 1911 guy. It was the sweetest shooting gun I've ever shot, way more accurate than me and ate everything I feed it. My only complaint was the super thin finish on it that began to wear very early on but it was a duty gun so it didn't bother me that bad.

My father bought a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm mid July and after his first range trip he was complaining about the trigger (says it's the worst 1911 trigger he's ever felt), said the accuracy wasn't near as good as expected (he was comparing it to my STI Ranger II 9mm), the front sight came out of it's dovetail at about 100rds and had MANY fail-to-feeds within the first 500rds.......but it sure was purdy. Actaully, now that he's got everything fixed on it and it broken in, it's a decent shooter too but IMO he shouldn't have had those problems out the box.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
KC Rob

I don't have any experience with the ones you listed. I have heard good things about STI and almost went that route when I just purchased a 9mm 1911. I ended up going with the Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm for a couple reasons: 1) I already own a Pro Carry in .45 ACP and have been extremely happy with that pistol so I felt comfortable going with the same platform; 2) My LGS could get his hands on one very quickly (I'm not very patient ).

The Pro Carry is aluminum framed and 4" barrel so I know that is not exactly what you are looking for, but I know Kimber makes a full size stainless steel target model called the "Stainless Target II" which retails in the $900-$1000 range. The Pro Carry is a good choice if you are planning to carry concealed as well as just going to the range.

I paid around $850 for it, so it is well within your budget. I took it to the range last week and ran 100 rounds of 115 grain Federal through it and 10 rounds of 147 grain Golden Saber. I had one failure to eject on the last mag of Federal, the spent brass did not get all the way out of the barrel and the next round in the mag was pressing up against it. Considering I had not cleaned or lubed the gun since I bought it, I think that may have been all or part of the problem. It was also very accurate and 9mm is a pleasure to shoot in the 1911 platform.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
jimbob86

I said other: Springfield EMP.
Old March 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Fargazer

I appreciate the feedback so far.
  • Jimbob86 - Springfield EMP is a good gun, but I don't want a 3" 1911.
  • KC Rob - My wife has a Kimber Custom Aegis II and loves it. Nice gun, but I'm not impressed with the finish, and I've had some bad experiences with their customer support. I'm probably going to steer clear of Kimber for this purchase.
  • Adamantium - I looked more closely at the Trojan 5.0, and you are right - it actually seems to fit what I want better than the Duty One, especially with the options STI lists. Looks like my "STI Duty One" option should be more of a "STI" option.
Thank you again for the recommendations
Old March 21, 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
KC Rob

Quote:
KC Rob - My wife has a Kimber Custom Aegis II and loves it. Nice gun, but I'm not impressed with the finish, and I've had some bad experiences with their customer support. I'm probably going to steer clear of Kimber for this purchase.
I have heard of others having issues with Kimber CS, so I can understand that being a turn off. Luckily I have never had to deal with them so haven't seen their CS in action to form an opinion.

What is the issue you are having with the finish? I ask because, like I mentioned, I have 2 Pro Carry II's with the matte black finish (I assume it is the Kimpro finish like the Aegis, but it doesn't specifically say that on their website) and I would like to know if there is something I need to be on the look out for. My 9mm is brand new, never been in a holster, but my .45 is 4-5 years old and is my EDC. It is showing some holster wear, but nothing dramatic, so maybe I got lucky on the finish.

As far as suggestions for your purchase, if you are steering clear of Kimber, I would definitely look at the STI's.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:33 PM   #9
KyJim

I love Dan Wesson 1911s. I own four. However, for your purposes, I agree with Adamantium. You might be better off with an STI at several hundred dollars less.

One of the reasons I buy DWs is that I consider each of them carry/defense guns and they don't have MIM in them (important to me, not others). When I wanted a 9mm range gun a couple of years ago, I bought the STI Spartan in 9mm and it came with adjustable rear sights and fiber optic front. Very accurate, good trigger, and reliable with FMJ and the few hollow points I've put through it. STI uses MIM but it's considered probably the best in the industry and who cares on a range gun?

If you want a step up in finish, look at the Trojan. If you order through Dawson Precision, you can get them to put their front fiber optic sight on it. You'll still come out money ahead. I'm sure the Lawman is also a good gun but you will appreciate target sights on a range pistol.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
iamdb

The one that comes in .45 lol

But seriously, one that comes with a ramped barrel.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 22, 2012, 08:19 PM   #11
jrothWA

1970's Colt Commander in 9mm.

Nothing but the best!
Old March 23, 2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Rugerismisticness

Hard call, the DW and Smith are just so awesome. Both are going to be hard to find. Honestly, I'd have to hold them side by side to judge correctly. I'd say go with the smith here, as it does have special PC attention where the DW is just off the line.
Old March 23, 2012, 05:51 AM   #13
45Kimber

Another vote for STI.
I have fired at range a STI Trojan 9x21....it's an impressive gun!
Old March 23, 2012, 07:11 AM   #14
gunluver

I own a STI Spartan in 9mm and can't say enough good things about it. The Spartan doesn't even have a ramped barrel and it's been 100% reliable. When we have a "hit the golf ball hanging from a string" contest at my local range, the Spartan is the gun I pick up.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
EdInk

My wife has a Springfield Armory Loaded in 9mm. Wonderful 1911 and IMHO one of the best 1911s for the money. However, it does not feed with the 9mm Wilson magazines. Use either factory (Metal Form) or Kimber magazines.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
mukibetser

Buds Gunshop has a few Dan Wesson Valors for sale at just about the upper end of your range. I've never held let alone fired one, but from everything I've heard and read they are awesome. I just orderd a Sig Tacops Traditional for $900 (with 5 mags and a holster). I've heard only good things about them but don't yet have personal experience. My experience with my SW 1911 has been mixed (Scandium CCO model). Very accurate but had some reliability issues and had to go back to SW for work. Personally, I think there are better choices.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
NJgunowner

I'll second the springfield 1911. I have the Load stainless target model and it's great.
Old March 23, 2012, 04:10 PM   #18
horseman308

I voted the STI. I've got the STI Trojan in 9mm, which I love. Since you said you want a range gun, I'd get the trojan for right at $1000, rather than the Duty One - I don't know why you'd need the rail for a range gun. A Spartan would also be a good option for even less, and you can buy lots of ammo with the left over money.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:05 PM   #19
BConklin

I'd go with the DW PM-9 - no MIM parts, front fiber optic sights, rear adjustable sights, forged frame, checkered front strap...

I've got a PM7 - 10 and it's far more accurate than I am.

Yes it's more expensive - but them DW's are sweeeeeet

Last edited by BConklin; March 23, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:07 PM   #20
BConklin

Muki - I agree the Valor is a beautiful gun - and I the proud owner of one - but they ain't available in 9mm - only 45 ACP
Old March 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #21
rodfac

The 1911 in its Colt Series 70 form, is a pretty heavy platform for a 9 mm to my way of thinking. If you could find a Commander with an alloy frame, (and that you could get without re-mortgaging the house), it might be a bit more of a CCW piece. My Series 70 weighs a ton but does soak up the puny recoil that a 9 mm generates. Too each his own..but mine stays pretty much in the safe...the .45's are far and away more accurate and there's just no comparison when it comes to real smack as a CCW caliber. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Venom1956

PM-9

I just purchased my Valor and the PM-9 just went to the top of my MUST HAVE all steel 9mm list. Kahr T9 also on that one.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Tags
1911 , 9mm , dan wesson , smith & wesson , sti