The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 08:32 PM   #26
Ben Towe

Given that the OP's location is given as sunny Florida it could very well be Miami PD SWAT that he's referring to. Given that more drugs flow through that place than Rite-Aid, they probably feel the need for plenty of firepower. After all, overkill is underrated.

Anyway, sounds like they have a cool assortment of weaponry.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:57 PM   #27
SPEMack618

That's just sickening to me. I bet not a one of those officers responsible for said weaponry has the requisite NFA paperwork or tax stamps.

I am pro-law enforcement and I am also pro-law enforcement having the correct tools for the job.

But an M-60E3? Why?
Old October 10, 2012, 10:11 PM   #28
treg

Quote:
Given that the OP's location is given as sunny Florida it could very well be Miami PD SWAT that he's referring to. Given that more drugs flow through that place than Rite-Aid, they probably feel the need for plenty of firepower.
If they are that necessary then the citizenry should have the same level of access to the same level of firepower.

Another example of the mileage the .gov is getting out of the "War on Drugs".
Old October 10, 2012, 11:39 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Montgomery County / Dayton Ohio SWAT now has an MRAV. Supposedly $200,000. I guess the medical bills were more last time they hit an IED though... Oh wait, that never happened.

Are you sure those full-autos were pre-86? Usually they are DOD transfers. A Sherriff who is in a club with me just requested some. DOD gave him one for each full time officer. No training or anything like that, just mailed him ten full auto rifles at no cost. He has had them out to shoot a few times. My local PD and Sheriff office also have them.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:59 AM   #30
Ben Towe

Quote:
If they are that necessary then the citizenry should have the same level of access to the same level of firepower
Agree. Florida law requires only that you meet federal law in owning machine guns, so feel free to pay your $200 tax stamp and pick up a Ma Deuce.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:27 AM   #31
drail

Watch the stupid TV show "Miami SWAT" and tell me you believe those guys are really qualified or justified to have full auto weapons.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:14 PM   #32
kdrf636

Quote:
I also have to ask what they plan to do with the things.
My guess is absolutely nothing. Because did anyone else notice that he didn't mention seeing large quantities of .50, 7.62 or even 5.56?

Quote:
250,000 rounds of .40 FMJ, 50,000 of framgible for the steel range, and 60,000 of Gold Dot. Plus cases of 9mm 147gr and stacks of 12ga. Arwen gun ammo, gas, pepperballs, etc.
.40, 9mm and 12ga. Just what you would expect to find in any good PD armory anywhere in the U.S.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:48 PM   #33
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Watch the stupid TV show "Miami SWAT" and tell me you believe those guys are really qualified or justified to have full auto weapons.
Watching a dramatized reality TV show that puts all the most dramatic parts in and edits the rest is probably not the best way to make an informed decision, no disrespect intended.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:50 PM   #34
TheGoldenState

Better question…why NOT?

If the m60 and tanks are seized items, why not let them sit in the armory and get taken out for fun demos every so often?

Quote:
Qualified? Some better than others. All better than most.

Justified? Definitely.

Using TV show DRAMA as a baseline for an opinion….fail.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:49 AM   #35
treg

Quote:
I also have to ask what they plan to do with the things.
They are going to follow orders.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #36
checkmyswag

Yuck at the militarization of police forces.

They should have what they need to do their jobs, protect themselves but...

M113 APC and M2?

I'm cool with an AR15 in the trunk, but at some point...what are we doing here?
Old October 14, 2012, 11:51 PM   #37
Chuckusaret

I have stated many times on the gun forums that I don't agree with the direction the local police departments are taking on their appearance and equipment. My department has attempted to place procurement of additional fully automatic weapons in their annual budget each and every year. We presently have three MP5's, two sniper rifles and six M16's. The PD's equipment budget line suggests that they are attempting to outfit several SEAL teams. Needless to say because of budget restraints () the procurements are denied. What does a local department need machine guns, cases of Flash Bang granades and Tear Gas for. If the department were ever to have a need, it is time to call in the Sheriff and/or the state police. Food for thought, what if the two LEO's at the Empire State Building shooting would have responded with full auto weapons?......

Last edited by Chuckusaret; October 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM.