The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 1999, 01:08 AM   #1
BOGE

I'm really interested in this interesting & novel approach for the 1911. Anybody know anything about it? Is it difficult to fit in a 1911?
Old August 5, 1999, 07:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Boge, I haven't used one yet. Nobody has asked for it. The price is probably a deterrent. But, in looking at it I don't think there would be much to fitting one. They come with complete instructions. George
Old November 11, 1999, 11:13 AM   #3
ShooterDave

Just expressing my curiosity about this product too...seems like it COULD solve a lot of 1911 problems. Anyone tried it since the original post?
Old November 11, 1999, 01:01 PM   #4
TaxPhd

The inventor of the ACE extractor, Rusty Kidd, is local to me (Atlanta). My IPSC race gun, built by him, has an ACE, and works flawlessly. This has really caught on with the IPSC crowd, and a lot of top shooters have them.
Old November 11, 1999, 08:12 PM   #5
Mikey

My gunsmith and I recently finished a team effort on an STI based IDPA gun in 40 S&W. He recommended an Aftec and I was a little hesitant about the price. Since I hadn't seen one it seemed like some kind of voo-doo. Well, I trust him so we did it.

No voo-doo here! It's essentially a standard looking extractor with a machined area on the backside and two little pockets. Little springs go in the pockets and a backing pad slips over them.

To install, you insert the Aftec until the pad area is ready to go in. You use the tip of the firing pin (or similar sized object) to force the pad to depress the springs as thay are started in the slide. Once it starts you just finish as you would with any extractor.

It's really a slick little trick! You get your tension from coil springs instead of bending the extractor. No failures to feed or extract so far (3000 rounds or so).

Mikey