The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 1999, 05:26 PM   #1
Flashman

I have a factory plastic stocked M-70 with a LOP that is simply too long. I find it difficult to manipulate the bolt when the rifle is mounted. I note the butt pad is very thick, probably an inch and made of hard rubber. Are thin replacement pads available; if so, what, where, etc. Or, can this butt pad be sliced and how? Thanks
Old November 7, 1999, 06:24 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Flashman, there are pads as thin as .4". Pachmayr has a complet selection. I'm not sure but you might be able to get a pre-fit for yours. You might want to talk this over with your local smith. I'm sure he could either get you a pad or install one for you. If you don't have anyone near you, drop me an e-mail and I'd be happy to do it for you. George
Old November 7, 1999, 06:39 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I have tried 2 of the "pre-fits" and they don't. Flashman, I would go ahead and send the stock to George or have it done locally if you know a good stock craftsman instead of wasting money on a pre-fit.
Old November 7, 1999, 06:42 PM   #4
WalterGAII

Ixnay.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 07, 1999).]
Old November 8, 1999, 12:20 PM   #5
DeBee

Flashman-

What caliber is that Classic Stainless? Where did you get it? Could they have one in .308???
Old November 8, 1999, 10:23 PM   #6
WalterGAII

I'm not Flashman, but, just as a matter of interest, I have a Classic Stainless in .243, with BOSS. Shoots great. Tried to install a Timney trigger, but didn't want to modify bolt to make safety work.
Old November 9, 1999, 01:11 AM   #7
Flashman

Actually I bought mine about 5 years ago and is a .243. It is accurate. As noted above the LOP is too long. I recall the catalog lists the LOP at 14"--too long for a rifle unless one has very long arms. I don't like the stock very much either. In fact, if there is not a cheap solution to this problem I may just purchase a new stock rather than spending $50 to $100 to take care of one deficiency of a very cheap plastic stock.

Raso Rod and Rifle was advertizing Classic Stainless .308's on their Web-site(www.raso.com).

[This message has been edited by Flashman (edited November 09, 1999).]
Old November 9, 1999, 09:23 AM   #8
WalterGAII

The Hogue Overmolded stock is not of benchrest or varmint quality, but would probably be fine for hunting. You can get it pretty cheaply with pillar bedding; a little more $$ for bedding block. They make drop-in's for the Win. 70 Classic.

I'm 6'2", but don't have monkeylike arms, and the l.o.p. is fine on my Classic Stainless. Just wish I'd bought another Remington, instead. Trigger, you know.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 09, 1999).]
Old November 9, 1999, 12:44 PM   #9
DeBee

Thank you for the link.

The Winchester Classics are excellent rifles.

However, just like the Remingtons, they might need a little "love" out of the box.

If you must have a new stock, there are numerous selections including the excellent McMillan line- see the website...

The trigger can be reworked- polished, tuned, spring replaced, etc. should be done by a smith with jigs- should get you 2.5-3 lbs. crispy.

If your really serious about getting the gun together, you can send it off to a smith like Carolina Precision Rifles for an "accuracy package" who will tune a factory gun including trigger job and pillar bedding, recrown, adjust LOP...

[This message has been edited by DeBee (edited November 09, 1999).]