The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Cyanide971

My new CZ's, P-01 & P-07

Picked up my two new kids while on vacation and must say that they are now officially #1 and #2 in my collection. I thought that I loved my 1st Gen P-07 Duty, but the remodeled 2014 is a definite improvement, especially concerning smoothing of all the sharp edges, the less aggressive trigger curve, and the magazine release function, as the mags eject with much more force now.

The P-01 is just WOW! All I can say is I have found my perfect pistol, even though it needs it's sights changed IMO to truly trump my P-07 in the accuracy department. By far it is the best pistol I have ever held and fired concerning it's balance, natural feel in hand, recoil absorption, etc.

Though honestly I don't think I need it, eventually I do plan on giving both of them the full respective CGW Pro Package treatment, but true night sights are first up on my list (love the stock Meprolights on my CZ RAMI BD).

Anyway, here's the trigger pull weights, round counts, and several of the respective targets where I was shooting slow fire for grouping accuracy, starting with the first few targets, then skipping the middle bunch, and ending with the last couple before I came back to work.

As for how accurate the trigger pull weights below are, I'm not for sure concerning the double action weights, as my LGS's gauge maxes out at 12#, and kept getting "Over limit" readings on the CZ's. Average trigger pulls for both of them (and a few of my other pistols for comparison) are as follow:

CZ P-07 Duty: SA 4.9#, DA 10.5#
CZ P-07: SA 4.3#, DA 9.7#
CZ P-01: SA 5.1#, DA 10.9#
Walther P99 AS: SA 4.8#, DA 8.9#
Walther PPQ: 5.1#
Steyr C9-A1: 5.2#
Glock 26: 5.8#
Walther P99 QA: 8.4#

I shot 550 rounds each through them both after the initial unboxing & removal of packing grease and, without any issues whatsoever. Round count and type:

450 Freedom Munitions 124gr FMJ
50 ZQI 123gr NATO FMJ
25 Federal 124gr HST
25 Hornady 147gr XTP

Unless noted otherwise, on targets with different color numbers, the numbers are the distance, with red representing single action shots, and green is double action (fired from the half-cock trigger position).

More pics coming......
Old September 27, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Cyanide971

A few more pics, P-01 (L)/P-07 (R)...

On my 2014 P-07 the polymer feels much more solid than on 1st Gen models, especially the pistol grip in the walls of the mag well. And yes, my P-07 Duty has the "frame bulge" (and had when purchased NIB), but over 1k rounds later it has given me no issues whatsoever. But still, that P-01 aluminum alloy!

I wasn't able to get pictures of trigger measurements with my flexible tape measure since it has conveniently disappeared. But I did take the measurements as best I could with a traditional ruler. Believe it or not, both pistols measured exactly the same! I've listed the take-up measurements at the point when all slack is taken out of the trigger and you actually start hitting resistance. Here they are, and measured from the centerpoint on the rear of the trigger, to the rear most inside of trigger guard (subject to correction).

SA Start: 10mm
SA Take up: 4mm
BANG: 2mm
Reset: 6mm

DA Start: 17mm
DA Take up: 15mm
DA ½ Cock: 12mm

For comparison, here's how my EAA Witness and Sar K2P CZ clones measure up (identical readings):
SA Start: 7mm
SA Take up: 5mm
Reset: 7mm

DA Start: 15mm
DA Take up: 14mm
DA ½ Cock: 9mm
Old September 27, 2014, 09:19 PM   #3
GlenF

Oh my. That's beautiful. Well done.
Old September 27, 2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Cyanide971

To satisfy my curiosity, and probably a bunch of other people's, I tested fit and functionality of my EAA Witness and Sar K2P mags in both. Though they stick out from the bottom of the pistol grip slightly on both, there were no feeding issues and the slides locked back following the last round fired. Here is a shot with my 17-round K2P mag. As a side note, the funny thing is my EAA Witness mags hold one less round than the Sarsilmaz's, even though they are identical in appearance...

Old September 27, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5
sirgilligan

Thank you for taking the time to post all of that important information. I am very happy for you as well, as I too love CZ pistols.
Old September 27, 2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Cyanide971

Thank you Glenn and Gilligan. Through ownership and a couple of rentals here and there I've went through lots (and I mean lots!) of pistols and also countless rounds to find that "perfect" pistol for me, and the CZ's are tops, followed by Walther, then Steyr. Though in the big picture, it doesn't matter what I'm carrying, I'm going to make it work for me. Even if it's a pistol I don't like or care for...
Old September 28, 2014, 03:43 AM   #7
volkstrm

Hello Cyanide 971,
Yea you got to love them CZ'S. I have 6 of them. They are CZ,75BD, 75compact, CZ40(1911type) 97B(45acp), P-01(army Green) & the SP-01(tac 9mm). The first thing I did was dump the polymer guide rod on all of them. I put in s/s or steel guide rod's. I did put a Aluminum guide rod in the P-01 got it from CZ. I also put on rubber grips(CZ grips) on the ones that did not have them already & night sights as well. I myself don't care for polymer frame gun's & I like D/A- S/A gun's. So its my CZ'S & my Sig's.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Cyanide971

Definitely love my CZ's Volkstrm. If the "new" used Beretta 8000 D I'm getting shoots as well as the old 96 D Centurion and Stoeger Cougar I had years ago, then my CZ's may have some stiff competition!
Old October 17, 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
LockedBreech

Great write-up Cyanide. Thanks for taking the time to get the great pics up.
Old October 17, 2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Cyanide971

Anytime LockedBreech! My pleasure putting up all the comparison shots. I've got another post dedicated to nothing but pistol size comparisons floating around elsewhere on here.

Thank you!
Old October 25, 2014, 04:03 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

So the P99 comes in with a lighter trigger in both SA and DA?

Edit, two 07 specimens with avg 4.7
Old October 25, 2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
So the P99 comes in with a lighter trigger in both SA and DA?
Just slightly Wild Cat, but I must admit that I like the feel of the CZ triggers better, and for striker-fire, my Steyr. And that is part of the reason I am parting ways with all of my current Walthers, though it is a very difficult decision.

Last edited by Cyanide971; October 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM.