The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 27, 2009, 05:05 PM   #26
BoulderTroll

One more vote for concealed. I prefer if nobody knows I'm armed. Good guys, bad guys, and everyone in between.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:50 PM   #27
A/C Guy

That guy that killed all the hikers on the Appalachian Trail targeted unarmed hikers. A guy like that would wait to catch you off guard and steal your weapon after ambushing you. I think it is better to keep the weapons concealed to give you the element of surprise instead of getting ambushed and being disarmed. Also, there are cases of anti gunners confronting armed campers. Better to walk softly and carry a concealed weapon.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:15 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Well, that's the classic argument against OC but I've never heard of it actually happening, have you?
Yes, it has happened. Do an internet search using the words newton patent tavern carrying openly.

Sort of silly to have to provide an example given that everyone already KNOWS that determined criminals are willing to brave armed defenders. Gun store robberies are one example, banks with armed security guards are another.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:38 PM   #29
Pbearperry

open carry?

I think open carry is fine if you are playing cowboys&Indians.For reality,I believe concealed is the way to go.That way you don't scare the sheeple.However,if I owned a few 1000 acres,I would not think twice of open carry,esp. if I was on one of my horsies.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:46 PM   #30
pax

Quote:
Gun store robberies are one example, banks with armed security guards are another.
Law enforcement departments generally require their personnel to carry firearms in Level Three retention holsters for this very reason, and officers are also trained in how to keep control of their firearms if they are attacked. Despite this, every year, officers are assaulted, disarmed, and murdered using their own weapons.

Weapons retention when open-carrying is not a trivial concern.

pax
Old February 28, 2009, 04:06 PM   #31
odsixer

In some areas(even remote ones) you have to carry concealed because carrying either way is a no no (not that I'm advocating breaking the law mind you).
Old February 28, 2009, 04:39 PM   #32
Nnobby45

Quote:
What do you guys think of Open carry vs. Concealed carry when hiking. There are alot of factors to weigh in, for example a BG might leave you alone if he sees you have a gun, or he might wait till you are sleeping to do something.
This subject is the source of many an argument and has been discussed ad nauseum.

Without the slightest doubt, many, if not most, criminals would be detered by an open carried pistol.

Also, without doubt IMO, giving up your tactical advantage to the smaller but more dangerous % of criminals is only likely to contribute to your demise--even to the extent that it attracts those who may not have been planning to attack you until they saw your nice gun they'd like to have.

Since some people, like gun store owners, jewelry store personel, and others, are likely to be armed anyway, there isn't really (at least it could be argued) a tactical advantage in concealing the weapon. I'd still prefer carrying concealed, however.

In some instances, there are maturity issues with those who insist on open carry.

In other instances, one has no choice, since CCW isn't legal.

Lastly: When carrying in isolated areas while hiking, I'd have no problem carrying open. You put your coat on, you take it off, depending on your physical exertion level. In more populated hiking areas, I'm still a blend in, don't attract attention to myself, kind of guy.

Last edited by Nnobby45; February 28, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:34 PM   #33
redhart

Concealed both primary and backup
Old February 28, 2009, 07:04 PM   #34
tblt44

I am all for concealed carry it gives you a little uperhand because they don't know you have a gun.On the other hand open carry would be good to defend yourself from a wild animal because you can get your gun faster.I say carry one concealed and one o.t.w.If a bad guy gets the uperhand on you and makes you disarm then you still can defend yourself when the time is right.If a bear or other animal charges you you can pull your firearm quickly and if you need it you have your back up gun.
Old February 28, 2009, 07:34 PM   #35
Milspec

Concealed always. I don't want to be stalked by some idiot who thinks he wants my gun.

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old February 28, 2009, 11:20 PM   #36
Sportdog

Before I got my CPL I would open carry. I was usually carrying for use on four legged critters, not for self defense. I think that in high risk areas such as trailheads, a hand on the weapon would do a lot to discourage a possible attack and you would be able to bring your weapon to bear in the quickest amount of time. As with most possible scenerios, the details are endless. Besides, it isn't that easy to CC a six inch barrel, Colt 357 Magnum revolver.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:54 PM   #37
TraderJack

If I'm scouting or just out for a stroll on a beautiful evening I carry concealed.

But if I'm out fishing or some other activity where I might be 'engaged in a battle royal with a bass', I carry open with Galco's Phoenix. Gives me the option of crossdraw or strong side.

Everyday street carry is 45 ACP, but woods carry is 10mm with loads from Mike McNett.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:26 PM   #38
petemo

Concealed Carry

Well hiking or out in the woods I guess for me the weather may determine open or concealed carry. Cold weather coat and so on. About a month ago I was in Sam's Clup and a guy, I guess close to 70 walked in with a pistol strapped to his hip. Sam's has no sign prohibiting concealed carry in the store and under Georgia law if you have a permit carry is ok in places like that. Point I am making he made even me worry. Places and circumstances should dictate concealed or open carry not comfort.
Old March 3, 2009, 04:24 PM   #39
Mannlicher

In the first place, I am rarely, if ever, surprised by another person when hiking. Almost always, I hear or see the other person long before I am seen or heard. I think the many years I have still hunted deer help with that.

I have been carrying a J frame Smith .38 special in a pocket holster. That satisfies the State of Florida's requirement to carry concealed, as well as keeping the revolver at hand.

If I am hiking in a wilderness area, and not on a designated trail, I usually carry a different handgun, and use open carry.

If I were in Sam's club, and saw an old timer with a pistol or revolver in open carry, I would smile and pat him on the back. Trust me, he is the LEAST of your worries among gun packers.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 3, 2009, 04:33 PM   #40
Careby

Quote:
But if I'm out fishing or some other activity where I might be 'engaged in a battle royal with a bass', I carry open with Galco's Phoenix. Gives me the option of crossdraw or strong side.
Wow, sounds like the bass in your neck of the woods must be pretty dangerous!
Old March 3, 2009, 06:09 PM   #41
CAP1

When I'm backpacking the AT or the like, it's usually with 3-4 other large grown men, so I don't worry about it.
We all carry big knives.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:28 PM   #42
Michael Bane

Interesting thread, and one dear to my heart (as the author of the soon-to-be reissued TRAIL SAFE and the episode of THE BEST DEFENSE, airing today, on carrying in the backcountry).

I live in rural Colorado and spend a lot of time in the backcountry. Depending on where I'm hiking, the time of year, etc., I alternate between CCW and open carry. On USFS/BLM land in Colorado I generally open carry a .44 Special S&W revolver in a Simply Rugged pancake holster (which makes the relatively heavy Hamilton Bowen custom revolver carry pretty easy).

On trails where I'm not sure what land is being crossed, I go to concealed carry (often just my regular daily carry gun, a Para Carry 9 semi).

As a rule of thumb, if I'm hiking in a new area or someplace I don't know, I will go with concealed. I've come across rather unpleasant poachers in some areas, and it was comforting to have my hand on the concealed pistol while having conversations with same. My Sweetie asked me why I violated my rule and got closer to the poacher than I would in an urban situation. I told her he had a long-barreled shotgun which he carried at a high ready with both hands, and I wanted to be able to step inside the radius of the shotgun barrel to block/grab the gun if I had to shoot.

In the winter, I often opt with either a concealed chest holster (from Survival Sheath Systems) or a cheapie old shoulder holster from Uncle Mike's...that allows me to access the gun through the vents on the front of my shell jacket...and what's more natural in the winter than tucking one's hand inside the jacket to keep them warm?

Michael B
Old March 4, 2009, 04:42 PM   #43
grymster2007

Quote:
and I wanted to be able to step inside the radius of the shotgun barrel to block/grab the gun if I had to shoot.
That's a good point and in my case I could get my gut inside the barrel radius, while still maintaining plenty of maneuver room with the rest of my body outside the barrel radius. You might have that same luxury.... unless of course it's just all those camera's on you...
Old March 5, 2009, 09:37 PM   #44
Big Bill

Get at least two speedloaders for the S&W .357 and open carry it or the .45 with a couple of mags. You may need the more powergul caliber for wild animals (cougar, bears, or wild boar).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; March 5, 2009 at 09:42 PM.