The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
BerettaBill

Lead bullets for 40 S&W

I have recently acquired 500 40 S&W 155 grain Laser Cast bullets. I have always used brass jacketed bullets for all of my loads. I have heard that lead bullets produce greater case pressure and with the 40 S&W already being a high compression caliber will this pose any issues? Do you guys prefer cast or jacketed bullets? Also are copper jacketed bullets ok to use? Sorry I know these are a bunch of newbie questions but that is what I am. I started reloading 3 or 4 months ago and I absolutely love it. It has given me a relaxing avenue to get away from my day and unwind. Getting started into this hobby I never imagined how much I would grow to enjoy it.
Old March 4, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
somerled

Actually loads using a 155 grain cast lead bullet will produce less pressure than a 155 grain jacketed bullet with all other variables remaining the same. The lead bearing surface offers less resistance than a jacketed bearing surface.

You'll want to get the barrel squeaky clean before switching out from one to the other for the sake of accuracy and not increasing pressures. Some shoot a few jacketed loads to scrub the bore after shooting lead bullets and get away with it. However, it is taking a risk particularly if the jacketed ammo is loaded to maximum pressure.

If your barrel has polygonal rifling, avoid shooting lead bullets in it. Again, some people do despite the manufacturers' warnings and get away with it.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Shoney

OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!! The Urban Myths are back.

somerled is partially correct. Yes, using identical loads with lead and jacketed will generally yield lower pressures with the lead. Shooting jacketed bullets thru a lead fouled bore will iron out the lead flat and will increase the pressure depending on a lot of factors, such as hardness of the lead and jacketed alloys.

You can shoot lead in polygonal barrels, but you must use hard alloy lead and clean the barrels more often. Go to Glock talk and HK Pro forums and search that subject.

http://glocktalk.com/
http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php

Laser Cast Bullets are a very hard alloy, and in my experience can be shot at just under jacketed max loads with low to no lead fouling.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 4, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4
freakshow10mm

Not true. The lead bullet will produce more pressure than the jacketed bullet. The jacketed bullet doesn't bump up in size to fit the groove diameter and gas leaks ahead of the bullet. The lead bullet will bump up in size to fit the groove diameter thus restricting the gas flow from behind increasing pressure.

Ever wonder why lead bullets have less charge weights for the same powder, OAL, primer, etc? Because they max out the pressure with less charge weight. Why? Because lead operates at higher pressure than jacketed with the same load. There is less friction because lead is softer than jacketed and is lubricated whereas jacketed isn't lubed.
Old March 5, 2008, 12:56 AM   #5
somerled

Well, BerettaBill, I do know there is data for the 155 grain Laser Cast bullet at www.alliantpowder.com. Accurate Powder also has some data for a 155 grain SWC by a different company. I've shot lead, jacketed and plated bullets in my BHP .40 S&W without hitches.

Find good data, stock up on manuals, learn, keep the barrel clean and you'll do very well. The current Glock manual states nothing about avoiding lead bullets. It is the same with Kahr pistols with polygonal rifling.

Thanks, Shoney, for the links.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:42 AM   #6
cheezhed

I use both lead and jacketed bullets in my xd 40 but in 180 grns. I can't find any signs of excessive pressure in either load but both are mid range . I would think that a load would have to be pressure tested to determine the pressure I am not sure if one or the other makes for a higher pressure load just use a good source for load info and really wash your hands well after loading any bullets.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
Do you guys prefer cast or jacketed bullets? Also are copper jacketed bullets ok to use?
There are basically four types of bullets most reloaders are using. The first one is swaged lead, and these are likely the least popular. Swaged lead are soft lead bullets that are "cut" to their profile and the result is a very nicely shaped bullet that can be quite accurate. Bullseye shooters like to use these, especially in hollow-base wadcutter design in .38 special. You don't want to push them fast because they will lead up your barrel. They are also typically more expensive than cast least bullets because of the process required to make them.

The next type is the hard cast lead bullet which comes from pouring molten lead in to a mold. Because they are the cheapest to manufacture, a lot of reloaders end up here eventually because you get the most bang for your buck. Quality of these bullets can vary greatly depending on the maker of the bullets. In this corner of the world, MASTERCAST.COM is gaining a helluva reputation as a terrific bullet at a great price, and if I didn't have a decent supply right now, I'd be ordering him up this week. (maybe after tax refund I will!) Cast lead bullets can be driven faster than swaged lead, but the actual diameter of the bullet and the hardness of it are determining factors.

The newest type of bullet on the scene is the plated bullet, and a popular one these days comes from the Ranier company. A plated bullet is a swaged lead bullet coated with a very thin jacket in a chemical bath type of process. These have become very popular as an alternative to swaged and cast lead bullets because they don't create as much airborne lead inside indoor ranges. You can push them to higher velocities than swaged lead, and you might be able to send them faster than hard cast lead (depending on the makeup of the cast lead bullets) but you cannot shoot them at magnum velocities. You must also be careful when crimping them. They typically cost more than cast lead, but are great for folks who don't want the dirty barrels and airborne lead. They are also an alternative for folks who's pistol manufacturer warns against using swaged or cast lead bullets.* (see footnote)

The last one is, of course, the jacketed bullet. They are the most expensive but also the most durable. You can send them down the barrel as fast as can safely be done. Cost of these bullets lately has me scratching my head.

*A number of gun makers warn against the use of lead bullets in their pistols. Glock is a big one. A lot of reloaders have experimented with them anyway and most report that if you keep the number of rounds limited (100-200) and clean judiciously between sessions, you have nothing to worry about. Other Glock folks have found great luck and piece of mind simply by installing an aftermarket barrel made with different rifling. I'd like to point out that many gun makers also recommend that nobody shoot handloads and reloads out of their guns, either, but I think we can all agree that it's nothing more than an exercise in covering themselves from liability from reckless and ignorant reloaders.
Quote:
Sorry I know these are a bunch of newbie questions but that is what I am. I started reloading 3 or 4 months ago and I absolutely love it. It has given me a relaxing avenue to get away from my day and unwind. Getting started into this hobby I never imagined how much I would grow to enjoy it.
Nope, won't accept the apology. You are preaching to the choir! We hang out here because we love it, too. I myself have found that it's a great way to spend time in the hobby of guns and shooting when it's not feasible to get out to the range and shoot. I probably enjoy the hobby even more than the shooting.