The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 14, 2007, 04:59 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Mule Deer hunting in Old Mexico?

Looks like they grow some monsters down there - anyone been?

http://www.sonoranultimatehunting.com/

http://www.huntuso.com/old_mexico.shtml

http://www.huntmexico.com/index.html
Old July 14, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Trapper L

We use to go every year. We crossed at Reynosa and went in about 250 miles to a ranch we had gone to for a long time. The deer are big as the locals can't hunt them. The last trip my Brother-in-law made with three of his customers, they were stopped by the Federalis. At machine gun point, they were removed from their new Suburban and one of the Mexican soldiers got in, started it up, and the Suburban and the soldiers left with all of the guns, ammo, clothes, everything. They had to walk about 15 miles to get a ride back to the USA. It was an expensive trip. Unfortunately, the Mexican government takes the position that if you weren't in Mexico to begin with, this would'nt have happened- stupid gringo! And the US consulate really doesn't care either. I don't know anybody that goes anymore. It's too dangerous for a US citizen as you have no rights there. And you are packing guns which are illegal in Mexico- all guns, including 22s. Yes, you can register you rifles and fill out miles of paperwork and then there is the non-stop backdoor fees that the "officials" will demand or you aren't going anywhere. But the hunting- the animal pictures are obviously the best that they have taken. There are good deer, bear, and elk to be had but not at the cost. Pretty pictures but you won't see me in Mexico anymore, hunting or otherwise. It a dandy place to visit and get killed.
Old July 15, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I think what's developing now is that folks get all the paperwork taken care of and then cross the border to meet the agent of the ranch. From that point, it's a private flight to the ranch of the hunt.

Art
Old July 17, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Fat White Boy

Desert Mule Deer get really big. California Fish and Game brought some mule deer in from Colorado back in the 1930(?)'s and turned them loose in the Mojave Desert. There aren't a lot of them, but the bucks are big.

There is a sub-species called "Burro Deer" down along the Colorado River on the California-Arizona Border. They aren't as long legged as the mulies but are big chested, full bodied with big antlers. They live in the brush and are very difficult to get near. My friends hunt them with custom, long range rifles by McMillen. They usually shoot them at 500-600 yards. These guys are terrific Marksmen. I was hunting pigs with them and saw one of them hit a hog on a dead run at 400 yards. When I got to the pig, it was dead, with a hole right behind the shoulder.