The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Big Yac

Handgun hunting question

I asked this awhile ago but nobody answered so I figured I'd try again Deer gun season here in Ohio will be here in about a month. I'm going to use my 454 Casull. I got the gun earlier this year and have been shooting it pretty much every weekend. I'm going to use open sights and limit myself to 50 yard shots...I can shoot farther but I dont want to take a chance. I also reload for this. Factory ammo shoots good but my reloads shoot better. I have two loads I'm considering but I dont know which would be best for deer. I'm hoping maybe one of you handgun hunting veterans can help me alittle. My first load uses 30.5gr of Win 296 with a 300gr XTP Mag bullet. This is good for about 1700 or so fps, I dont remember the exact velocity right now. The second load is a hard cast Cast Performance 360gr bullet using 22 gr of 296. I did notice it doesnt have the recoil or quite the muzzle blast as my first load. I just dont know which bullet would be best. Would a hollow point like the XTP be good for a shot in the vitals or would it be better to use the big cast bullet to just punch a big hole in the deer. Also, I'm curious, has anyone here used a 454 to shoot a white tail? Did it go down pretty hard? All I have shot is paper and steel targets. When I see what it does to a steel plate I can only wonder what would happen should I hit the shoulder or something. Thanks for any help
Old November 19, 2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Twycross

I've never hunted with handguns, but I have no doubt that either of your loads will preform well, given the right shot placement. Choose whichever one you like to shoot better.
Old November 19, 2005, 04:55 AM   #3
mete

Shot placement is the most important thing .Pick the load that is the most accurate and is comfortable to shoot .Either one of those loads will do the job.
Old November 19, 2005, 08:45 PM   #4
frankt

While I don't have a handgun that big, I have taken several deer with either a .41 or .44 magnum. I have used hard cast lead bullets and also the XTP's with equal effectiveness. I really don't have a favorite one way or the other. I shot at least three deer with each and they all went down immediately or within sight.

Like it has been said,wait for the right shot and place the bullet and you should not have a problem.

I do want to mention that some lead bullets will lead your barrel badly if you try to push them too hot. Lately I have been loading my .41 Mags pretty hot with the XTP's and downloading the .44 mag a little and using the cast lead bullets.

Good Luck!
Old November 20, 2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Big Yac

these Cast Performance bullets are pretty hard plus they have gas checks. They dont lead my barrel up at all. I think I'm gonna go with the 300gr XTP hollow point. Not only would it take the deer down, but the big flame from the cylinder can cook it for me too
Old November 20, 2005, 01:01 AM   #6
SemperKnight

The 454 is a sweet shooting hand cannon. I love mine. I would go with the higher velocity round for better bullet placement. with a round as big and powerful as the cassul any thing you hit will die. I know cause I killed a 175lbs six point white tail last year with mine from about 40 yards. It dropped and died instantly. To see it go to gamertagpics.com and search knight34. I was using factory ammo by the way.
Old November 20, 2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Big Yac

another question

I have decided I'm going to use the 300gr XTP's. Now I was also wondering, whats a good hunting holster for a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel?
Old November 21, 2005, 04:58 PM   #8
kwkoch

good decision on the 300gr xtp's. i shoot the 454 and the 300gr xtp goes through both front shoulders and whatever else is behind it. as for a holster mine is a fleece lined cordura holster that goes over the shoulder/neck and has a snap loop for hooking it to your belt. so it would be a cross draw. many different manufacturers make them. good luck on the deer.