The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2014, 04:38 AM   #1
NorwegianShooter

SPAS 12

Anyone who owns this shotgun?

Looks like I´m about to become a SPAS owner. Mid/late nineties model, fired 300 rounds. Pretty much mint condition, has the proper safety... Seems like a good buy.

Gotta admit, this gun is not intended to fill any particular role. Gonna keep it just for fun. Perhaps use it for 3 gun. Again, just for the giggles of using a SPAS.

Specifically I´m looking to hear your experience with various kinds of ammo. I hear it like somewhat heavy loads for the gas system to properly perform its duties.

I´d like to hear your opinion of the gun. Owners "tips´n tricks" etc...

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 26, 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Language
Old August 30, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2
catacombshadows

SPAS-12 Maintenance

Spas-12s can cycle light loads but in order for this to work properly the two gas ports need to be clean of grim and carbon.

Most of the time the average owner just lightly cleans the exterior of them and the bolt through the ejection port and never takes them fully apart for fear of losing or damaging the O-Ring for the gas piston. As long as the Gas piston is clean and the O-ring is in good condition and the two gas ports are clean of build up it will cycle like a champ. Hope this helps. If it ever feels like its tough or sticky in pump mode the heat shield was bent by a dorkus. They can be eyed and straightened but do so very cautiously as when they appear on gunbroker.com they usually sell upwards of $400 USD. Happy shooting.
Old September 2, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Skarekrow88

I own the fixed stock model. It also has the proper cross-bolt safety and has a metal full length tube extension and one piece barrel (i.e. not the one with the welded on barrel extension). It's incredibly fun to shoot and that "clank" of the bolt when firing in auto mode is just music to my ears. Mine cycles everything I have put through it including even bird shot loads but I fully disassemble and clean mine thoroughly and have extra o-rings at hand in case I tear one up or lose one.