The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
NUPE

Optic on Front Sight of P229

A couple of weeks ago the fiber optic on the front sight of my P229 came out. I read some where, were this is a common occurrence. Anyway, I call the Sig customer service department today and they want me to pay $59 to have it replaced since I am not the original owner of the firearm. What I would like to know is what are my options? Should I just buy a brand new set of sights and if so, which brand do you recommend? Or should I just try and get the customer service department to send me another front sight at their cost? Please advise and thanks in advance.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
MonsterB

The Sig night sights are some of the best available. Im not sure who makes them, but the ones that came on mine are top notch, both in daylight and darkness. I would get the sights from Sig, if you can, and dont mind shipping them the gun. I dont know that they ship any of thier guns with fiber optic sights, so Im not surprised they are charging you for a replacement.
I have had several sets of night sights from diferent manufacturers, and the Sig ones are the best I have ever used. Well worth whatever you spend on them.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Well, if it's just the f/o insert you can buy a 5 pack of them at Brownells (or any other big gun parts site) for $5 and just put it back on yourself. Just trim to length, insert, then use a lighter to melt the ends so it seals in place.

For night sights---lots of good ones out there but it'll be more than $5
Old November 5, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
NUPE

Found the rods on Midway's site.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations I found the replacement rods on the Midway site. I will Truglo replacement rods and see how they work.

Tags
p229s , sight replacement