The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 23, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Manchester

CCW permit for non-immigrant alien

Hello!

I'm planning to be in US for next couple of years on non-immigrant visa.

As far as I know, by federal law non-immigrants can own a handgun if they have a hunting license and comply with state residency policy.

So, could you please advise me on CCW laws of South-East US States; right now I can choose my resident state: Alabama, Tennessee, Florida...

I read on their site that for example Tennessee licenses are issued only to US citizens or resident aliens (greed card holders, immigrants) but not to non-immigrant visitors.

To be more specific:
-- in what state can I get CCW (or equivalent) permit on my visa status?
-- in case if I wouldn't be able to acquire CCW permit, can I still purchase a gun (apparently I can, based on ATF site info) and keep it at home for HD? Will be I able to practice at shooting range with it?
-- how should I be transporting the gun, unloaded, in truck, and etc (if I don't get CCW permit)?
-- can I attend gun training courses, is it legal for my status?
-- will be I able to purchase a gun at a gun show or from a person, or only FFL shop?

I'm going to bring my family with me, and, apparently, I think owning a handgun or revolver for self-defense would be a good idea, but, of course, in a totally legal way.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

--Man
Old August 23, 2012, 08:55 AM   #2
BarryLee

Try this site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 24, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
hermannr

Hej Manchester. I would think Alabama would be esiest. They use the terms "person" and "resident". Also, the license is very inexpensive, apply at the local Sheriff's office, and walk out with your license.

Alabama is a "may issue" state, but is very loose with the "may". Good state, Open carry is available also. Be sure you read the state law. It may be good to communicate with the local Sheriff even before you move. You can ask what that particular Sheriff's requirements are.

www.handgunlaw.us and www.opencarry.org/al.html
Old August 24, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

You are going to have to be able to get a hunting permit/license, though - that's at the federal level and doesn't depend on the state.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:32 PM   #5
hermannr

Actually, not 100% so. You can get a resident alien license to carry in WA without a hunting or fishing license, You can also use your hunting and fishing license as a license to carry, RCW 9.41.173
Old August 26, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

True - Washington state does say that membership in a shooting club is sufficient. But that same statute also contains the warning:

"CAUTION: Although state and local laws do not differ, federal law and state law on the possession of firearms differ. If you are prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm, you may be prosecuted in federal court. A state license is not a defense to a federal prosecution."
Old August 26, 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

If Georgia's an option, the state issues licenses to nonimmigrant aliens.