The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1
vranasaurus

Berretta M9 shooting real low I mean real low

I am shooting an issued M9 that shoots about 12-18" low at 10 yards.

Now you're going to tell me I must be doing something wrong. While I am far from the world's best pistol shooter I have never had a problem with shooting that low.

I was aiming at the top of an E silhouette in order to hit center mass at ten yards. Trying to hit a rack of steel plates at 20 yards while having to aim at some random point on the hill behiind the rack is nearly impossible.

I know it sounds absolutely crazy for a pistol to be that far off but I know I am not that bad.

What is wrong with this pistol?
Old February 26, 2010, 07:46 PM   #2
podrav

I think step one is to bench rest it on a sandbag and shoot a full mag to confirm the problem, and your grouping.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

After doing what the above post says have at least two other people fire it. If it's turns out to be the gun, turn it in for a new one. If they absolutely won't give you another one, you might be able to shave the front sight down a hair or two.

If you do that be very careful, take very very thin layers off inbetween test shots. It's easy to over-shave.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
rogelk

Before I s'd shave it as scorpion_tyr suggested, I'd put a small piece of masking tape down on the front sight and fire a few, then move the tape until you're satisfied with the mark,,,then shave.

Also, shooting low is a sign of jerking the trigger...just sayin'.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Tom2

That sounds like alot of front sight will have to be taken off, with that much low shooting! Something really out of whack, I would say. I cannot believe they shipped it from the factory after a testfire doing that. Maybe it has mixed/replaced parts or something? Or is a nutter gun. Aim for center of mass and blow their n*ts off! That will slow them down! Ha. They will survive and your reputation will chill effect on other bad guys then. But really, that is totally a messed up gun if you can prove it is the gun for sure. Unless it is the ammo. No one brought that up. What ammo do you use? If it ain't ammo, time to trade it back and ask for another, sir. I am sure the intent of Beretta is for the thing to shoot much closer to POA than that with standard weight bullets.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:37 PM   #6
theaceco

I own a Beretta 90-TWO (basically the same as the M9/92FS) and mine shot low. Nothing like that though, mine was about an inch or two low at ten yards, out of the box. Also, the long trigger pull in DA was probably a contributing factor for some of the shots. A minor sight adjustment fixed it as well. As far as the one you have, I'd say there's non factory look-alike parts or you just got a fluke.

Trade it in is all I can suggest.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:54 PM   #7
greyson97

did you just get this gun?
is it new from factory or used?
are you using a 6 o'clock hold, or a front sight covers bullseye hold?
do the sand bag rest like others siggest

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 27, 2010, 05:23 AM   #8
vranasaurus

The pistol is well used. I am going to tell our armorer that it needs repaired.

I use a center mass hold for pistol shooting.

I understand that a shooter can definitely mess things but I don't think it would be that consistently low if I was the main problem. I own a berretta and I aim center mass and it shoots center mass. Same goes for my other pistols.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Coltman 77

Give it to the armorer. Let him handle it. Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 27, 2010, 11:12 AM   #10
podrav

Doing a bench rest grouping gives you solid evidence on the extent of the problem, and makes it clear to everyone it's the gun and not the shooter. Without it, the knee jerk reaction is always going to be "it's the shooter"
Old February 27, 2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Dragon55

Like greyson97 sed my Taurus PT-100 which is a clone of a Beretta 92 has to be aimed as 'front dot on sight covers bullseye'. It shoots dead on like that from a bag.

My 2 revolvers in contrast must be aimed at 6:00.