The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
quebert00

Thompson Center Venture .270 / Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40mm / Low Burris Zee Rings

This is just an informative post about a specific setup. I ordered a Thompson Center Venture .270 WeatherShield and a Burris Fullfield II Scope 3x9x40mm but wasn't sure what rings would work with the setup. I emalied Burris and they said that I would need Medium Rings but I had already order Low Rings. The Thompson Center is not in their 'Compatibility' Chart. I received the rings and was finally able to try them out and low and behold it worked great with the low rings and had room to spare.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
jmr40

I've found very few scope/ring/rifle combos that will not work with a 40mm objective and low rings. But with some rifles or scopes low rings may not be enough. Most recommend mediums, but as long as low rings work I prefer them.
Old June 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
hooligan1

The problem only arises when you put Butler Creek scope lens covers on it and the bolt won't clear. Having said that I would rather my scope is mounted low, than the scope covers being fine. Like our little mauser, we cannot slide Butler Creek scope cover on it because the bolt catches it ever so slightly.