The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2011, 01:43 PM   #1
hoefj

9mm and .40s&w

Hello all, A buddy of mine and I are thinking about going in on some reloading equipment together to cut some cost for the both of us. I was just wondering what different parts would we need to buy if 1 of us was loading for 9mm and the other .40 s&w? thank you for your help!
Old March 21, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
overkill0084

Caliber specific dies and shell holder.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 21, 2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

What different parts you'll need depends a LOT on what particular reloading press you select.

At the very basic level you need reloading dies and shell holders, as Overkill states.

If you start getting into some of the progressives by Lee, Dillon, etc., you'll need shell plates, locator buttons, etc.

You'll ALWAYS need dies, though, in the specific calibers for which you're loading.

What you really should do is figure out how much shooting you're going to be doing, which will drive, in large part, your decision on which kind of press to get.

From there you can start trying to figure out which manufacturer you want, and from there you can narrow down exactly what goodies you'll need to get to go with that particular press.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.