The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2002, 09:45 PM   #1
jfuller

Newbie and first reloader

I have just recently started shooting in earnest ALOT after obtaining my CCW and a new Kimber Pro Carry. My problem is that it is costing me alot more money to shoot the 45 vs. my 38/357 revolver in not only ammunition but the fact that I am shooting much more than I used to (100-200 rounds per week and I would like to shoot more but cannot really afford the expense.)

After reading alot - many thanks to the folks on this board for great posts! - I think I probably want a Dillon 550B but am not sure I will like reloading and am a little discouraged by the cost for not only a new press but also the other asundry items required to get started like a scale, manuals, materials etc.

I got my August copy of the Blue Press today and in checking out the AT 500 Kit for $269.95 I am thinking it may be for me for the following reasons:

1. Unlike the RCBS Master Reloading Kit I can upgrade later to the 550B albeit for a little higher of a price

2. It appears to me that I can get started with the kit, dies and materials and I have been saving brass (in fact, I have over 1500 cases of 45 now)

My question is what folks think about the AT500 Starter kit which includes AT 500 reloader, Eliminator Balance Beam Scale, Primer Flip Tray, Dial Calipers, DCL case lube, Safety Glasses and instructions and manuals including gunpowder-company reloading dies for $269.95?

Also, I was wondering what specific parts I would need to buy later to have a true, just like I bought one new, 550B and how folks think these components compare to the RCBS kit.

Thanks much and sorry for the long post!

John
Old July 16, 2002, 09:32 AM   #2
ZeusOne

The major question here is whether or not you'll "enjoy" reloading. Reloading, if done only to save money, is a chore that will soon be avoided. If you can, find someone who has equipment, and is willing to mentor you and let you try your hand at it.

If your initial experience is positive, you might consider buying what you really want right up front - avoiding the incremental upgrade expenses and "wishing and waiting".
Old July 16, 2002, 12:10 PM   #3
stans

ZeusOne is right. If you like reloading, buy what you want now, the upgrade route can be costly, especially if you end up buying what you really wanted later. Developing a handload can take a lot of time and testing.
Old July 16, 2002, 08:44 PM   #4
jfuller

Thank you for the counsel. I'll try to see if I can find anyone who reloads - in the mean time, just dropped another $19.00 in ammo tonight! Maybe I'll look into buying bulk in the interim, at least I will have lots of brass by the time I make my decision :-)
Old July 16, 2002, 10:21 PM   #5
Chief Jones

I agree with Zeus on both points...find a mentor to show you the basic and let ya pull the handle for awhile. Get the best equipment you can afford at the time. AND get & read a good manual....