The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2013, 09:36 AM   #26
TimSr

Lubes are more for preventing rust and corrosion than for lubricating. Grease is great for long term storage, but in most cases should be cleaned off before using. A light motor oil 10W30 5W40 works well, stays on, and usually will not inhibit movement of parts in cold weather. Most greases turn into road tar when they get cold. I use Rem oil more as a cleaner and to coat hard to get to, small moving parts, but I like something a little thicker on external parts. If I were going hutning in extreme cold though, Rem oil is the thickest lube I would use on any part.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:39 AM   #27
geetarman

Quote:
FWIW, I like Lubriplate for slides.
Shortwave,

Just curious if you use the copper or nickel lubriplate?

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 31, 2013, 10:18 AM   #28
shortwave

geetarman,

I use Lubriplate 130-A.

Got a can of it years ago and have found it to be excellent not only on guns but many other uses such as fishing reels or other parts being used in possibly damp conditions.

Too, I like to use Permatex 'copper' anti seize/lubricant on threaded screws/bp nipples/breach plugs etc. But am sure the aluminum or copper Lubriplate would work just as well.

AFAIK, the suggested application between using copper versus aluminum based lubricants/anti-seizes is the heat the part is being used in. I used to use aluminum based anti-seize/lubricant(simply cause I happen to have a tube of it) which is recommended for application in heat ranges well exceeding the temps. my guns would ever get to. When I ran out and bought some more, it was copper based.

One thing I learned for sure is when using the aluminum or copper based stuff is that you WILL get it all over , it is hard to remove from unwanted areas and it will stain many fabric items.

Last edited by shortwave; October 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:38 PM   #29
Yung.gunr

I have used a couple different oils over the years. Used the M-Pro 7 system, it works pretty well. Recently I've been using Hoppes cleaner and some engine oil. Last time I cleaned my handguns I put grease on the slide rails and they move SOOO much smoother just hand cycling them. My Dad bought some Frog Lube and forgot it at my place, thinking about borrowing some for my carry guns.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:21 AM   #30
rebs

Quote:
If you are doing variations of temperature, . . . get a quart of synthetic motor oil.

It'll last you several years, . . . doesn't run off like regular motor oil, . . . is not affected hardly at all by major temperature swings, . . . and FWIW, . . . it doesn't stink like Valvoline.

It's what I run on basically all of mine, . . . .22's thru the big boy stuff, . . . pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, . . . no trouble at all.

May God bless,
Dwight
What weight of oil do you use ?
Old August 1, 2014, 04:57 PM   #31
Shadow9mm

Is a basic oil lubricant enough.... generally yes, although I am not a huge rem oil fan. Some guns recommend grease, the M1 Garand was one I believe (if it rotates oil it, if it slides grease it) most guns recommend oil. I prefer a light coating of grease on my metal framed gun rails (1911, P226 etc.) Just feels like it runs smoother to me and its a high wear area. I pretty much use oil everywhere else. Unless your running your gun hard on a regular basis, with as good as modern lubricants are, I don't expect you will see much difference in wear between oil and grease.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:21 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
Quote:
Whenever this topic comes up I've seen just about everything short of Vaseline and Crisco recommended.
Vaseline was the recommended lube for Lugers.
And whale oil was the recommended lubricant for the original M1911. Good luck finding whale oil ... at least we can still buy Vaseline.
Old August 1, 2014, 11:30 PM   #33
Crankgrinder

I've gone to straight motor oil ( but not much) and haven't had any problems out of it myself.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:06 AM   #34
celem

I use a small amount of high temperature wheel bearing grease. One can will last more than a lifetime. I use it very, very sparingly.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:32 AM   #35
A400 Fan

Quote:
Oil if it spins, grease if it slides.
One exception -break open shotgun hinge pins get grease on the pin and oil on the sliding ejector parts