The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2012, 11:39 AM   #26
scottycoyote

my buddy has a super black eagle that is one of the sweetest shooting semi's ive ever used. Comes to the shoulder perfectly for clays, id love to have one some day.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:58 PM   #27
Nick S.

Browning

Browning's new version of the Hump Back got a good write up in the American Rifleman. Same inertia system as Benelli's.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:43 AM   #28
tws92E05

I have also been in the market for a Benelli auto. I was able to narrow it down between the Super Sport and the Montefeltro. I did not care for the other model's looks so I ruled them out. I had friends with both of these models and went out and shot rounds of skeet with both.

Super Sport - 12 gauge, I shot four rounds of skeet with this gun. They were all back to back. I used 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 ounce loads to see how they cycled and I had no problems at all. Very fast cycling, very low recoil, did I say very very fast cycling. I really liked this shotgun, not a big fan of the stock but liked everything about the gun.

Montefeltro - 12 gauge, Shot multiple rounds of skeet with this gun including a shoot off where we shot four rounds back to back. Shot the different loads as before and had no problems with this shotgun feeding any of the loads. After shooting four rounds my shoulder was much more sore with this gun than the supersport. Has more felt recoil. Does not cycle as fast but you probably would not recognize the difference unless you shot the Super Sport side by side with the Montefeltro. If you do this you will notice a definate difference.

I have been trying to reduce the recoil and that is why I am shopping for a new shotgun. The Super Sport won in that category, hands down, I could have shot four more rounds with that gun. They both shot and cycled very well. I would have to rate the Super Sport the best on cycling, and the Montefeltro on shooting. The Montefeltro felt more comfortable and natural when shooting but that was alot to do with I was shooting a 28" barrel which I am more comfortable with as opposed to a 30" in the Super Sport. The Montefeltro wins price wise also ($1,200 -$1,300) Super Sport ($1,800 -$1,900) range.

Hope this helped a little. Hope to be getting my 28" Super Sport in the next week or two.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:26 AM   #29
wwwprof

I have a SuperSport that is my clay gun and a M4. Love both of them.

Hardly any recoil on the SuperSport even though it is quite light. My son and I went through a case of 12 gauge 7.5 in about 90 minutes and we could have shot another case.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Limey46

Another vote for the M2. I've only had mine a few months, but I've been using it every week in practical shotgun matches, where you're mixing light birdshot loads with slugs and shooting/reloading as fast as you possibly can, and it's been 100% reliable for almost two thousand rounds so far, not one single malfunction of any kind. I'd add that the standard Comfortech stock on the M2 is a real improvement over the M1 stock, damping recoil significantly. The M2 is my fourth Benelli, all the previous ones being M1s in various configurations. I've also used 1100s and the FN SLP, and in my experience the M2 outclasses them all by a good margin.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:51 PM   #31
Shef

Super Sport

I bought a 12ga 28" Super Sport a month ago. Already put 1200 rounds through it and love it more and more every time I shoot. I shot my first 25 in skeet last week with it!
Old June 19, 2012, 02:49 PM   #32
oldguy870

I have Montefeltros and M2s. Both are great guns. The Montefeltro is lighter. The only thing I don't like is how difficult it is to clean the magazine tube on the Montefeltro.

You can't go wrong with either. My favorite shotguns hands down.
Old June 19, 2012, 10:02 PM   #33
Slugo

a 20 gauge M2 would be my choice. Great value and a superb all around gun...