The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 14, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1
groverdill

These signs sure are causing a stir.

I don't know if you've seen anything about this in the news, but it's all over the local media here, for both positive and negative reasons. The township next to mine, known as Conoy Township, has posted 16 signs as you enter the area stating "Welcome to Conoy Township. This is not a gun free zone". Personally, I love it! I understand the reasons for the signs. It's a heads-up to those who are looking to pursue their life of crime, and a warning that they may want to take it elsewhere, because we shoot back! One article I read quoted a resident as saying, "We're all rednecks and river rats here, we all hunt and have guns in the house, and that's how we like it". My wife and I drove over there today to take a pic of the sign and support the local economy. We think their stance on the subject of self defense, and not being afraid to tell the world about it, is fantastic. I read in another article that this is the first community in the country to post signs like this, and they've received e-mails from officials from other states that are interested in doing the same thing. We hope it spreads, and the criminals get the hint that they better think twice about breaking into homes in the area. Of course, the anti-gunners have already tried to make their point. The signs were up for less than a week and two of them were vandalized with spray paint. Some folks just won't accept any way of thinking other than their own. I'd be interested to hear what the folks here on TFL think. Good idea? Or waste of township money? (By the way, several residents have offered to pay for the signs themselves.) Here are a few articles, followed by a picture of the sign I photographed earlier today. Rock on, Conoy Township!

https://www.ijreview.com/2015/02/248...gun-free-town/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/10...rs-to-know-it/

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loca...8c213908d.html

Mike
Old February 14, 2015, 11:05 PM   #2
ThomasT

Thats neat. I would buy one for my worhshop. I hope they catch whoever painted the signs and print their name in the paper. That should do it. Also I hope it occurs to them to coat the signs with some sort of wax so paint won't stick to them. Gotta love proactive towns.
Old February 14, 2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Nlight1

I like it
Old February 14, 2015, 11:39 PM   #4
madmo44mag

I love it.
Gun free zone sign scream come rob, rape and pillage.
These signs say enter at your own risk and don't whine when you leave on your back.
Old February 15, 2015, 10:41 AM   #5
wogpotter

Anti activists have already vandalized many of those signs with spray paint in the middle of the night.

We/they must be doing something right!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 15, 2015, 11:46 AM   #6
FITASC

Surprised those signs haven't been stolen by collectors already!
Or maybe they have some put up with bullets holes in them. (Seems every road sign in a few states I have lived in had those )
Old February 16, 2015, 03:17 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
Some folks just won't accept any way of thinking other than their own.
That's all too common
Old February 16, 2015, 10:37 AM   #8
skoro

Thumbs up to Conoy Township.
Old February 16, 2015, 10:40 AM   #9
JWT

Superb is what comes immediately to mind upon seeing the signs....
Old February 16, 2015, 11:02 AM   #10
BarryLee

I would be a little concerned about public officials using tax money to make a political statement. I also wonder how much consideration a person might give to them before committing a crime. Anyway, still kind of neat, but probably a waste of public money.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 17, 2015, 12:37 AM   #11
CLC

Similar signs in my area have been spray painted over as well.
Old February 17, 2015, 05:20 AM   #12
Brotherbadger

Love it. I also love that the publicity the antis created have made it more popular.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 18, 2015, 10:46 AM   #13
vito

I've seen photos of signs like this but assumed they were fake, and just made with Photoshop or similar software. Its great to see real signs sending this message. Years ago I fought against an effort to have our village become a "handguns free zone". State pre-emption law stopped the effort, but not before we tried to convince the supporters that posting signs saying no handguns were allowed in the village was like an invitation to burglars. I think pro-gun signs for a locality send a strong message to would be thieves to go elsewhere.