The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1
TheDutchman19

Lead-Free hunting bullets

Ok. Just to set the record straight, I am not a over sensitive, tree hugger, but I do live in a state that is.

I need to develop a lead free, 150 grain, load for my wife's 30/06. She is going deer hunting with me next year. We can not hunt with lead bullets here due to a California condor conservation restriction.

I have noticed that my lead-free options are limited. Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions?

Thanks
Old November 27, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
snuffy

3. Barnes, Hornady, and Nosler all have lead free bullets. The most popular is OF COURSE Barnes. Hornady has the GMX line, they are monolithic bullets made using guilding metal instead of the pure copper of the Barnes. Nosler has the E-tip, which is also a solid guilding metal construction.

I don't know if they offer a 150 grain from their line-ups. But they should be able to come close to that weight.

Hornady has one;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/815...free-box-of-50

Barnes has one;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414...free-box-of-50

and so does Nosler;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/787...free-box-of-50

Looks like a good selection, none are exactly cheap though!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 27, 2012, 02:19 AM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
Looks like a good selection, none are exactly cheap though!
That's no accident.

"Save the Condor!" my fuzzy b-hind! ..... anything to hinder the shooting industry.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
old roper

The Barnes and Nolser E-Tip recommend different seating depth requirements and since your new to reloading also E-tip they recommend mid loads as max and without chronograph that may be concern.

Barnes is .030 to .070 off the lands and E-Tip is .100" and my 30-06 the 150gr E-tip shot best .050" off and various tools you can use to measure base to ogive length. I never loaded any of the GMX bullets.

I hate to say this but just starting out reloading those may not be best bullets to start with might want to start with standard bullets build up loading skills then load. Barnes is sell ammo with their bullets and I'm sure there must be others depending on how much she shoot that rifle Barnes ammo may be cheaper in the long run for that hunt.
NRA Life Member
Old November 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use the Barnes TTSX bullet is a couple different cartridges. I find to be quite excellent. We have no lead-free requirement here. I use them by choice. The price difference is 50 cents a shot, at most, and I get complete and total confidence that my gun and it's bullets will do anything I want and more. The extra cost of developing a load and hunting with the TTSX is perhaps $15 dollars the first season (working up the load) and if I get really, really lucky, maybe $3 per hunting season thereafter. To get to $3 would require I shoot six deer.

The supposed "high cost" of these bullets is a Straw Man argument.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:02 PM   #6

130 gr Barnes TTSX is a champ out of my buddy's 30-06. FWIW. They will absolutely fry a deer. See this:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412429

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7
reloader28

Man, if I had to shoot lead free bullets I'd have to move.
99% of what I shoot is home cast.

The wife shot 2 deer this year with 180gr cast bullets from my 30-06.