The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Lee Bullet Seater Die users. Your experiences.

When I am loading, I usually don't need to play around with my seating depth.

Taking .44 Mag as an example.

I have a whole bunch of cases, to be batch loaded. So even when I am just putting in a case, popping a bullet on top and seating it before moving to the next case. At the end, as I measure them with digital calipers, I can see then are not always the same exact length. There can be a few 100's of a mm in difference. For example, my OAL is 40.10mm (IIRR), and having set it to that, I might variation of 40.05, or 40.06, or 40.16mm, etc.

No great difference, but I always thought consistency was important

This seems to be a bit more pronounced with rifle cartridges, which bothers me if I want to measure closer to the lands for rifle shooting.

Sound familiar? Something to be concerned about?

Is it the Lee die, the Lee press design (classic cast turret), an aspect of case prep or me somehow having problems with operating a lever through its full arc?
Old May 21, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Hawg

Its not the die but I dunno what the problem is. Mine always measure the same.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
CrustyFN

The seater seats off the ogive and not the end of the bullet. The less consistant the bullets were made the more they will be off. I use all Lee dies in my classic turret and Dillon 550 and have never had one be off more than .003. That would convert to .076 mm's. You are within that range and look to be in good shape.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
LE-28

Interesting problem, it's only about .004"but still.

Try taking the indexing rod out of it and load single stage with it to see if your OAL improves any, I'll bet it doesn't.(don't think it is the press or the dies).
I think your fine.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
noylj

Try just measuring your bullets. That is where you will the difference.
Next, if you load on a progressive press, you will get slight variation in COL from a loaded shell plate and an empty shell plate.
Then, measure factory rounds.
You will learn that you are worrying over NOTHING and it is all just the way it is.
The die is locked. It is out of contention as being the cause.
Case length means nothing to COL, so that is out of contention.
Play in press and play in bullet geometry--there is where the problem is--although, again, it ISN'T a problem.
You can get a slightly more consistent COL reading if you measure off the bullet ogive rather than the meplat, but your variation is all just find.