The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 10, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Chowder

New savage project.

As my AR-15 build will soon be done, I had to pick up a new project. I got a bit worn but not bad shape savage 110E hunter for 225 chambered in 7mm mag. I do not know much about these rifles.

I took it apart to see what I was dealing with and the trigger has some screws that look like they should be adjustable. Can someone tell me about these triggers?

So once I get my AR together this will be started. I spent a lot on the AR so this will be kind of a budget build but I think I may try to build it more for longer range bench shooting. Of course if anyone more creative than I has some Ideas let me have them! thanks in advance.

Chowder
Old March 11, 2013, 06:07 AM   #2
PawPaw

That's the old Savage trigger (pre-AccuTrigger). It can be made to shoot very well, but I can't talk to the adjustment screws. I'd be tempted to replace it with a Rifle Basix, Jewel, or Timney. I'd first shoot it like it is, it might be a very good trigger.

Note that if you decide to make changes to the rifle, you'll have to identify it properly. If the rifle is what I think it is, the rear of the receiver will be flat under the rear scope base. Still, a very good rifle for a project and easily gunsmithed in the garage/home shop with the proper tools.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
kahrguy

This should help,
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html
Old March 11, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Chowder

Thanks for the info! the trigger pull is pretty crisp but is around 6 pounds. I like 3 or under and with your link it looks like I can get it close to that 3 pound mark. If that doesn't work I will go aftermarket but this is going to be a pretty tight budget build so I hope I can get 3 pounds with this trigger.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Chowder

Is this what you are refering to PawPaw? If so, what do I have? all I know is that it is a savage 110E series J

Old March 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #6
hooligan1

That ole trigger can be made to function nicely,, problem is I have a 50% fail rate on adjusting one where's it's safe And feels nice, It can be done.
I just ordered a Timney for mine from Midway, because I really like the feel and the performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120705_153023.jpg (233.1 KB, 20 views)
Old March 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Chowder

Quote:
That ole trigger can be made to function nicely,, problem is I have a 50% fail rate on adjusting one where's it's safe And feels nice, It can be done.
I just ordered a Timney for mine from Midway, because I really like the feel and the performance.
That seems to be what I'm am reading all over these interwebs. I will probably see how nice I can get this trigger then beat the bajeezes out of it to see if its safe. If not... order a timney or rifle basix.

Only thing stopping me is that while assisting in surgery today my formerly injured and repaired hand exensor tendon popped... so I might be going under the knife tomorrow, we will see. Most likely I will just be figuring out how to get ballistol out of my splints and working on the rifle one handed lol.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
hooligan1

That sounds like that sucks,, I was a tree surgeon for 16 years, and my hands and elbows are shot, then I started plumbing in 99, and they got no better, after a series of 8 Hydracortisone injections in each Ulnar nerve I have severe pain daily in my joints..... But you have to maintain and persevere.

Ps nurses dont like the smell of Balistol
Hey also there is a lot of tinkering you can do with that ole "flat top" to really get her shooting good, what's the bore look like?
Old March 11, 2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Chowder

Quote:
Ps nurses dont like the smell of Balistol
That's ok the Ortho surgeon I work with that will be doing the surgery if I end up needing it is a big time shooter haha. I keep ballistol in the bathroom as a spray sent
Old March 16, 2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Chowder

Fiddled with the trigger a bit today. No creep just a tad of over travel and very safe.

Since I'm on a budget for this project I think this will work well for now. Next I am thinking of ordering the tools to re-crown the barrel and will in the ugly screw holes where I removed the iron sights.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:35 PM   #11
hooligan1

Hey man, got that Timney for my rifle friday and installed it, but the jury's out on that one. Can't seem to get three points lined up. Have to get back with you.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Chowder

Awesome, let me know how it turns out!
Old March 17, 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
tobnpr

Yep, older staggered-feed action with the flat-back receiver.
Built this out of one of those actions:

www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 17, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
hooligan1

Took a little time this morning, and got the Timney install right. I rushed the job the first time, and the wife was on me for some other chores to be finished, worked saturday all day,,, but finally got that dude square and beautifaul 2.75 lbs and breaks like glass,, the stock trigger was 5 lbs, with creep.
I shot a three round group during developement that measured .217 at 100 yds, with the 5 lb trigger, I will post a new target pic, as soon as possible.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Chowder

That's a serious looking rifle there tobnpr lol. Very nice I want to build something similar some day. I am thinking about a boyds thumb hole stick for this then just clean it up get it bedded properly and some decent glass and be done. I sank a lot of gun building money into my AR so this one is going to be very low budget build... for now.