The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 29, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
chris in va

Neighbor approached me about getting permit

I reside in KY and have a permit here. Our neighbor had an incident at work and wants to get her permit and training, but there's a catch. She's lived here over the 6 month residency requirement but technically still has everything for Indiana...DL, bills etc.

Does she need to pursue an IN permit? How does KY establish residency?
Old January 29, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Don P

Why hasn't she changed things over? Possible violation of KY law. I would pursue license in the easier of the 2 states
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

"Technically" she still has everything for Indiana?

If she has lived in Kentucky for six months, I'll betcha a doughnut that "technically" anything she has from Indiana is void, and she's driving illegally because she hasn't changed her driver's license and motor vehicle registration to the state in which she resides. My state requires me to notify the DMV of any change of address within 72 hours. Six months? Not even close.
Old January 29, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4
chris in va

I asked about this tonight, she has a 'permanent' residence address in Indiana at her sisters place despite having a house here. I told her I could teach gun safety and some range time but can't help about any permit and purchase issues.

Too bad, she had a gun pointed at her face last week by someone mistaking her for someone else at work.

I checked about the DL, it's 30 days here. She'd have to use her IN license I guess.
Old January 29, 2012, 11:55 PM   #5
bitttorrrent

So sounds like her permanent address is IN and 2nd/temp/work/vacation house is in KY.

The laws become very sticky regarding this type of situation. I know because I am an IL resident but have property in MI and it has been very tough getting any information about the legal way to do it from MI.

They have pretty much ignored all my emails from the State Police which resides over the county I am in. Niether state acknowladges the others gun laws.

Hard to get a straight answer, but ask you local Sheriff or County Sheriff and he would probably know.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in VA
I asked about this tonight, she has a 'permanent' residence address in Indiana at her sisters place despite having a house here.
And how much time out of each week/month/year does she actually spend at this "permanent" address? What percentage of her personal belongings are at her alleged "permanent" address? Does she have her own bedroom at the alleged "permanent" address? How many changes of clothing are in her closet at the alleged "permanent" address?

It does not sound to me like she has a permanent house and a vacation house. It sounds to me like she is breaking the law by claiming her sister's home as her alleged "permanent" residence when, in fact, she doesn't reside there at all.

I don't understand why people go to so much trouble to unnecessarily complicate their lives. Whatever happened to just playing by the rules? Why doesn't she have her driver's license and car registration at her real home address?

Color me cruel and heartless, but I have ZERO sympathy when people try to game the system and then whine about the difficulties they encounter.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:32 AM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
Why doesn't she have her driver's license and car registration at her real home address?
She works in Indiana and I guess the car insurance is a lot cheaper in that state. KY has horrible insurance premiums because...the drivers are terrible.

She's not whining about anything, just wanting to know which state her permit should be in. No biggie.