The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

What would be the best way to close a barrel channel?

I just got a new stock and it appears that the barrel channel will be ALOT wider then any barrel I will eventually use. It looks to be 1 1/4" wide at the forend and would like to get it to almost .900. It is a rifle that I am building in increments so I will not be getting a barrel for it for quite some time. What can be done to close up the barrel channel when the time comes?
Old March 23, 2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Joat

Bed the barrel into the channel with wood putty/bondo/body filler/acraglass (or whatever is appropriate) than treat it like you would a rifle you were going to free float the barrel on. OR, find a different stock that has the proper dimension of channel for the barrel you will be using.

Joat
Old March 25, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
If the stock is wood, nothing you do will look right.

If the stock is synthetic, you can simply bed the barreled action to the stock when it comes to this point. You may very well have to repaint the stock. Use a good quality bedding material. My preference is either marine-tex or devcon. Acra-glass and acra-gel work also, but I find the first two easier to work with.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:21 PM   #4
sthrnfryedyankee

The stock is 1 1/8 wide at the forend so I am just going to order a .920 barrel and I shouldnt even have to worry. Does that sound right?
Old March 26, 2009, 02:37 AM   #5
sadsack

Southern: If the stock is a nice piece of wood you can glue in a matching piece of wood on each side of the barrel channel and reinlet. That looks better than any bedding compound.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:14 AM   #6
sthrnfryedyankee

The stock is a Stockade prairie dog tactical, fiberglass and injection molded. I am going to take the .920 barrel off of my 10/22 to get a general feel for what the space will look like. Lots of great ides from everyone thank you all for your input
Old March 26, 2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I am not sure I am totally getting your problem other than a small barel and a wide inlet. I have built and bedded many rifles in my life and when I do bedding I generally mix black dye with the compound and it looks pretty good alongside the blued steel. I go to a Masonry supply store and buy some of the black powdered masonry dye, mix a little with the epoxy and go for it.
Good luck on the project. I learned the trick from the late Harry Lawson of Lawson gunstock company in Tucson.