The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2000, 04:24 PM   #1
Solitar

Is thre a market for precision machined bullets where tolerances for each dimension are measured in a fraction of thousandth of an inch or better and weights to within a tenth of a grain may be the minimum acceptable. Precision bullets machined to exacting requirements out of tungsten could fill a niche for very long range tack driving. The bullets could be recovered from suitable backstops that collected the bullets without damage. The bullets would be so hard and indestructible that they could be reused with a little polishing.
Old July 4, 2000, 04:27 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

But how long would a barrel last if you used these magic bullets regularly?
Old July 5, 2000, 09:35 AM   #3
Solitar

The bullets could be plated with copper - a fairly simple electochemical process which can be redone as needed.

The barrels have always been a problem with very hot loads and high velocities. That is what discourages me from buying a 300 magnum of any variety; I'd have to get several spare barrels. Can the barrels be made out of a much more erosion resistant metal? Tungsten? Yes the barrel would be expensive, but it would stand up to hot erosive loads for forever.
Old July 5, 2000, 01:25 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solitar:
Can the barrels be made out of a much more erosion resistant metal? Tungsten? Yes the barrel would be expensive, but it would stand up to hot erosive loads for forever.[/quote]

And it would take a forklift or a come along to lift the rifle! Tungsten is HEAVY! Course if you made it out of that, recoil would be almost non-existant!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 5, 2000, 01:40 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Right you are, Tungsten is Swedish for "heavy stone". It is roughly 3 times heavier than iron.

Solitar, while your plan sounds doable, I think it wouldn't be affordable except maybe by our deep pocket uncle. Are you proposing having your own copper electroplating equipment for the bullets or would there be a company that would perform that service? All in all it's a solution looking for a problem.
Old July 5, 2000, 04:11 PM   #6
Paul B.

Solitar. Somehow, I seem to be missing the point. You apparently want a .300 Magnum of some kind, but don't want barrel erosion. Any good barrel will last at least 2,500 to 3,000 rounds if treated properly. Granted, if you shoot as fast as you can, you will burn the barrel out in short order.
At the range, if you give your rifle a minute ot two between shots, allowing the barrel to cool, it should last quite a while. About the only time I could see really rapid fire, would be at an animal that you were trying to bring to bag, and if you do your part, well the first shot should do the job.
About the only other time rapid fire might be needed, would be in a rifle match, and I don't know enought to comment on that, but I don't think many .300 Mags are used at the shorter ranges, but are at the 1,000 and farther matches.
2,500 to 3,000 rounds is a lot of ammo. You can have a new barrel installed for about $300 blued and maybe $100 more for stainless, but if you shoot slowly at the range and let the barrel cool a bit, it will take you a while before you need a new barrel. Think about it.
Paul B.