The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2016, 09:54 AM   #1
jackstrawIII

Muzzle Blast?

Looking for some real world experience and advice here.

I'm considering a Kimber 84 Hunter for the upcoming deer season. It can be fairly wet here and the Kimber seems like a logical choice for rainy/snowing days. I had originally planned on getting it chambered in 308, a caliber that I already have lots of ammo for and am very comfortable with.

With that said, I noticed that they also make this gun in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor, both of which are cartridges that I've been eyeing for some time but have no experience with. I'm aware that there's really no ballistic or "effectiveness" difference between the 3 at ranges under 300 yards, which is 100% of my shooting. So please, don't just tell me to "pick one and the deer won't know the difference."

Here's my specific question for those with experience with these cartridges: how significant is the difference in recoil and muzzle blast?

I'm a fairly big guy and recoil doesn't really bother me, but muzzle blast is a different story. The area I hunt is sparsely populated, but we do have a few neighbors and I want to be considerate. Lower blast from the muzzle is definitely a STRONG consideration as I'm choosing. I just have no way of quantifying the difference.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by jackstrawIII; September 20, 2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old September 21, 2016, 07:26 AM   #2
tobnpr

To answer your question..."not".

I own all three (well...actually a .260 and not the Creed, but they're the same for all intents and purposes). Different barrel contours and stocks (weight), but all within a few pounds.

All based off the .308 case. When it comes to "muzzle blast", you're really comparing apples and apples. Yes, the 6.5 and the 7mm have slightly less felt recoil but for me, it's negligible.

I don't see any real advantage for your application, but everyone likes a little diversity.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 21, 2016, 12:16 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Like tobnpr says, it really doesn't make much difference.
Felt recoil and muzzle blast are dependent on the rifle(Mostly the weight and action type) and the length of the barrel respectively. Only place you'll notice either is on the bench when you're working up loads and sighting in anyway.
A 7mm-08 using a 140 grain bullet at 2860 fps, out of an 8 pound rifle recoils with 12.6 ft-lbs. of energy. A .308 150 at 2800 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle recoils with 15.8 ft-lbs. Don't have Creedmoor data.
The only thing about the Creedmoor that matters is that it won't be found in small places. Get off hunting somewhere in the Deep Dark Boonies of Upper Rubber Boot and find you left you ammo on the kitchen table and you'll be SOL. Kind of limited manufacturing too. Only loaded by Hornady and No$ler using hunting bullets.
Old September 21, 2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I like the idea that you want to be considerate to your neighbors but if we're talking about deer hunting how many times do you think you will need to shoot at the animal? Your neighbors shouldn't care unless you open up machine gun fire.

If it's about practice and sighting in you might want to make a range with a stack of used tires at the bench to shoot through and baffle the sound.
Old September 21, 2016, 02:18 PM   #5
reinert

IMO, if you're NOT reloading, get the .308. I see Kimber also offers an 84 Montana model that has a threaded muzzle. If you're REALLY concerned about muzzle blast, you may consider a suppressor. Lots of extra bucks there, though, ... and more papers to sign. I haven't looked at the Kimber line for quite a while (just looked!); beauties, certain sure. I have two ADLs in '06, one syn-stocked, the other in walnut. I really like 'em both, and can use the same reloaded ammo in either rifle (F.L. resized, and C.O.A.L. compatible) for hunting. If you already have a .308, you may want to consider the two-rifle, ammo compatibility avenue, too (FWIW). Also, in a pinch, .308 stuff should be easy enough to find, too.

www.kimberamerica.com/montana
Old September 21, 2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Gunplummer

I have a 18" barrel on my 7x57 and there is quite a "Blast". People next to me at the range always ask, "What the heck are you shooting". It seems as if the shorter the barrel, the worse it is.
Old September 21, 2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Muzzle blast is a function of barrel length and quantity of powder in the load. Since all three choices are close in quantity of powder, barrel length is the determinant of comparative noise. Longer = quieter.
Old September 21, 2016, 07:45 PM   #8
jdh

Barrel length is certainly going to make a difference in MB. I would suggest if possible to get a suppressor. It is costly and takes some time but the benefits are great. It won't take all the noise away but it minimizes it considerably.

Both the 7-08 and the 6.5 Creedmoor are favorites of mine and both shoot well and good factory ammunition is easily obtainable. A 30 cal. suppressor will work on all three.

Joe
Old September 21, 2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Mobuck

"Barrel length is certainly going to make a difference in MB."
Absolutely correct. I have both .308 and 7mm08 in 20" carbines and 22-24" rifles and there is a difference in muzzle blast between long and short barrels but you won't be able to detect the diff between calibers of short barrels. The lack of "forward weight" will/may make recoil more noticeable(it does for me).
I think your "concern for the neighbors" is way over the top since the "loudness" at a distance will be essentially the same.
The only way to shoot a medium powered center fire "discreetly" is with a suppressor and even then it's going to be heard at short distances.
Old September 22, 2016, 08:21 AM   #10
jackstrawIII

Great feedback guys, thanks a bunch. That's essentially what I expected to hear, but it's good to know. With that said, I'll probably stick with the 308 if noise will be the same across the board.

I appreciate it.

Ps. I'm in NY, so suppressors are out of the question... much to my chagrin.

PPs. Mods, feel free to shut this thread down, unless you think there's any more that should be said.

Tags
308 bolt rifle , advice , caliber , kimber , noise