The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2014, 09:36 AM   #1
pj2

Brass

I'm wondering how often to tumble brass
Old May 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Shootest

As often as you want to. Tumbling in corncob or walnut media does not harm brass.
Old May 11, 2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Valornor

I tumbled after each firing. Mainly because I want to make sure I get as much of the dirt and grime off as I can. Before I run it through my reloading dies. Saves wear and tear on the equipment.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4
LE-28

I clean mine after every firing, like said above, it doesn't hurt or wear out the brass.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The only time I clean mine is when I want or feel the need to give certain brass a thorough exam. First fires get a good cleaning. There after every now and then over their life span. Some fellows just like the extra process and some like the Bling. Me I just like to shoot >period.
Old May 11, 2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I clean every time because I've worn a several steel dies out over time and got crud embedded in one carbide die that kept scoring cases and that I never got clear of the thing. However, cleaning and polishing are not the same thing. Cleaning can be dishwashing detergent and water shaken in a jug, then rinsed briefly (trace detergent doesn't hurt powder and it helps lube the cases for sizing), and then left alone on a rag to dry for a couple or three days. With a tumbler, even tumbling 15 minutes in plain corncob will get most grit off.

Polishing, on the other hand, is something I consider a must for cases to be fed through self-loaders of any kind. It's just too much easier to find a polished case in the grass. The only exception is nickel-plated. If that stuff is polished and gets out in the grass, the white metal reflects the color green so well that you lose more of them. But for brass color, polishing shortens policing time and makes it more effective.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 11, 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I tumble mine after each firing, I have found that they resize that much easier and as I take em from the media I do a inspection before sizing.
Old May 11, 2014, 04:06 PM   #8
lamarw

I have gone to ultrasonic cleaning vs. tumbling. I de-prime the brass first. This way it cleans the primer pocket along with the interior and exterior of the brass. I find it quicker and provides a better finished product.

Oh yes, I also do it after ever firing.
Old May 11, 2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

I also Tumble after every firing. I don't like gunk building up in my dies.
Old May 11, 2014, 05:21 PM   #10
4runnerman

Shoot, tumble,size, retumble,load,shoot,tumble, size,retumble, ect ect
Old May 11, 2014, 05:37 PM   #11
BigJimP

I tumble after every firing .../ its not like its labor intensive.../ just dump them in the tumbler and let it run for a few hours...??
Old May 12, 2014, 02:40 PM   #12
zeke

Every time, for the reasons Uncle Nick stated. Use walnut media, that cleans and polishes to a degree. After the first time they clean/polish up much easier. For bottle neck cases, if time/circumstance permits, clean carbon off necks with wet rag at range. Saves a lot of tumbling time.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Went to the range today. That brass is tumbling in corn cob now

After resizing, they will go for a wet tumble with Dawn soap, Lemi-Shine, and water. This will remove the case lube and get them sparkley clean, inside n out; including the primer pockets.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:58 AM   #14
fretless33

Brass

I shoot in a muddy back yard, so the brass I recover can be pretty messy (or old) at times. I polish, deprime/resize, trim, put them through a cycle in the sonic cleaner to remove the oils, then polish them again to make them pretty! That's just how I do it, because of the state of brass I get sometimes.

Forgot to mention if the brass is very muddy, I'll sonic clean it first and let it dry real good (sometimes in a low degree oven) before I deprime to get the water and mud out of the case.

Last edited by fretless33; May 16, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:54 PM   #15
dickttx

I normally come home from the range and dump my brass in the tumbler on the way through the garage.
However, sometimes when working up a load I will just sit down and reload a batch without cleaning.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:36 PM   #16
SpringOWeiler

My Technique

I like to throw all my brass into a 64oz big gulb container then clean with 1/2 cup vinegar + ~ 1tbs of soap and salt fill 3/4 with faucet hot water. Shake it every few min and take it out after 15. Wash thoroughly then dry in the oven. After dry, throw in the tumbler until shiny. My media stays very clean and I only have to change it out every 5 months. I guess the amount you shoot will determine the media life. This method really helps clean the dust down from the tumbler to.
Old May 17, 2014, 08:00 AM   #17
MJFlores

I went over 20 years without ever owning a tumbler...and after having finally bought one, I wish I had years ago. So the answer is, you don't have to tumble...but if you have one go for it. What I've just started doing (after buying my Hornady tumbler and a container of Hornady corn cob media) is: After shooting I use a universal decapper and pop the primers out of the cases. Next, I tumble them for a few hours in the media after cutting a few squares of a dryer sheet and dropping those in there, and 2 small cap fulls of Dillon brass polish. Tumble for a few hours and the brass looks almost like new...very clean. I then store the cleaned and deprimed brass in ziplock bags and it's ready to be sized, trimmed, etc. I love my new technique.