The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2005, 09:25 PM   #1
virginia scout

45 ACP carry while hunting

Well I decided to carry my glock 30 45ACP while hunting in VA. I will be using a rifle as a primary weapon.

The VA regs state to shoot a deer the weapon must deliver 350 FP of muzzle Energy. With anything over a 200 grain bullet I will be able to make the 350.

My question is on bullet selection. I have 185 Golden Sabers going 929FPS which just make it. I also have 230 Golden Sabers wich will easily make the cut.

Any thoughts on going to a non personal defense round like ball ammo or other type.

Anybody have any experience with a 45ACP and deer?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Old August 10, 2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Long Path

There's also the 200 grain Gold Dot +P, which is a nice compromise, and still has more energy than you need after 100 yards! I like the accuracy.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=7&s2=26
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold dot 200 plus P 45 acp.JPG (31.8 KB, 228 views)
Old August 10, 2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Mannlicher

There are better choices than a .45 auto for deer. Even the Gold Dot listed above, states that its not for medium or large game.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 10, 2005, 07:37 AM   #4
virginia scout

I agree there are better bullets.

Let me clarify, I will use this to put a deer out of its misery if wounded. They will be very close in shots and not 100 yards.

I would also like the round the be very self defense capable, hopefully I will never use it, but you never know.
Old August 10, 2005, 09:55 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For a coup de grace shot, anything is just fine, on down to .22LR. For self defense, most any of the 180- or 200-grain defense loads will do.

Art
Old August 10, 2005, 08:53 PM   #6
impact

I've used the 185gr Gold Dots on large varmints and they worked well "real well" I would think Long Paths suggestion would work good!
Old August 11, 2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Long Path

Um, to clarify: I am not advocating pistol shots with the .45 acp on deer at greater than about 15 yards!

And at that range, you better be able to keep a magazine on a paper plate from off-hand before trying it.