The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
WookieRookie

9mm Test Fire Tank

Hey guys,
Does anyone know of or use any type of test fire tank when reloading pistol rounds? I hate loading up a few and taking them to the range to test them, when all I am looking for is case stress and such. I have confirmed it is legal for me to discharge a weapon on my land, but there are houses too close (100 yards) for me to comfortably go in my backyard and squeeze off a few. I've heard of 5 gallon buckets of sand and such, but was wondering if anyone uses or has any other ideas for a bullet trap? Thanks!
Old February 8, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Jim243

A 55 gallon drum full of water should do a better job than a 5 gallon anything.

Or you could do 10 or 15 thick (I mean thick) wet phone books should stop a 9mm as well.

Just be carfull and have a backup back stop behind the test bed.

Jim
Old February 8, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
dunerjeff

Many steel bullet traps have an opening where you shoot into and then swirl around into a circle with sand at the bottom. Basicaly once the bullet enters it can't come out because it gets trapped inside and the sands catches it.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
WookieRookie

dunerjeff, that sounds like more of what I am looking for. What would be the technical name, or what can I search for to find something like that?
Old February 8, 2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Here is a link

Here is a link to a product page. Only problem is that it would probably cost more than your house before they add shipping.

http://www.savagerangesystems.com/bullettraps/

I like the 55 gallon barrel idea. Put 3" of sand in the bottom, fill it with water, and cut a 6" hole in the top. Then, consider the noise you will be making, and the proximity of your neighbors.

A more practical solution may be your nearest forest, woods, back roads, desert. I have done this and popped a round or two into sand, or mud. You can even recover the slugs fairly easily.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
dacaur

I have some 6"-8" thick catalogs, which have stopped every 9mm round I have fired at them.... Find some thick catalogs or phone books, take them out to the wilderness to verify it stops them, and you are good to go....
Old February 9, 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
totaldla

Doesn't take much sand to stop a 9mm.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:04 AM   #8
dunerjeff

You can build one,and it is a lot cheaper than that boughten one,but you would have to either have a way to do it or someone who could.It would last a lifetime.If it is built big enough you could use it as a backstop for acuall target shooting,though nieghbors could be an issue,(in my case the neighbors did something really crooked so it is fun to be as annoying as possible)
Wet Sand(so it doesn't fly everyware from muzzle blast and phonebooks would work also,and quite a bit cheaper.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:43 AM   #9
hounddawg

I would build one if I were you, but if you want store bought

http://www.inrangesupplies.com/index...-clearing.html
Old February 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #10
djcantr

Couldn't you build something like this? Use some heavy wall tubing and maybe fill the bottom third of it with sand and the rest with rubber chunks from recycled tires. If you don't have a welder it wouldn't cost much to have a welding shop weld a flange on each end that you could bolt a thick plate to. Obviously the plate on the top you'd want to have a hole in the middle of it. Add a base to it and you're good to go.

http://www.actiontarget.com/store/cl...ring-trap.html
Old February 9, 2012, 08:32 AM   #11
WookieRookie

Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas. Building one would be optimal. Appreciate the links.